Buy and build for under $10

Kind_cir

Buy and build for under $10

Postby Kind_cir » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:56 pm

I brought and built my bike for less than $10. Infact I brought 2 bikes for that amount and made 1 rideable out of both.

I got both at the local tip recycle market where all bikes are priced at $5 each.

All I had to do was transfer a tyre, tube, a cable and a chain from one to the other.

So the rear wheel has some play in the bearings and the crankset has ever so slightly notchy. It does have an alloy frame and rides well. Idid try out a motor but sice taken it off, and I pinched a pump and tool bag off my other bike. But hey, it rides day after day 45min- 1 hr through dirt and mud and the urban jungle.

Her it is...
I ride a fold up bike inside my house ... but put it in the cupboard when done so the Mrs don't whinge.

Kind_cir

Re: Buy and build for under $10

Postby Kind_cir » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Ok... I'll have to work out how o post pics first.
I ride a fold up bike inside my house ... but put it in the cupboard when done so the Mrs don't whinge.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Check out this thread, it will show you how. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm keen to see what you've got, I love getting discarded bikes going again :) . Just a side note, if the motor you were referring to was a petrol one, they are illegal except for on private property.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Kind_cir

Postby Kind_cir » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks to dalai47 for posting the pic below.
Last edited by Kind_cir on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Copy the image location and not the page url.

Not bad at all for under $10. Good work!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Cool, I've had a couple of those Royce Unions, nothing fancy but they're a lot better than walking!

Kind_cir

Postby Kind_cir » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:57 pm

There is another one the same down the local recycle markets in Caloundra that I seen there today. It is in better nick overall and just needs a chain and air in the tyres.

Only $5 ..... :shock:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:34 pm

It would be great if all these pretty much usable bikes could be diverted from landfill and sent to developing countries. Sure they aren't great quality but they are reasonably serviceable, burying them in a big hole in the ground is such a shameful waste.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:02 pm

ldrcycles wrote:It would be great if all these pretty much usable bikes could be diverted from landfill and sent to developing countries. Sure they aren't great quality but they are reasonably serviceable, burying them in a big hole in the ground is such a shameful waste.
Very hard to find recycled bikes in Sydney as when the bulk rubbish pickups come, there are people with big caged trailers driving around, collecting the metal and selling it to the metal merchants. We don't seem to have these kind of tip shops in Sydney.