The Gibb River Road: recent tour

Vintagetourer

The Gibb River Road: recent tour

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:20 pm

With two friends I recently rode The Gibb River Road from Kununurra to Derby in far north western Australia.
A wonderful tour. Magnificent countryside and testament to our solid touring bikes' suitability for long, rough, dirt roads.
If you are keen to know:
Where to get the only fresh scones, jam and cream on the superbly corrugated Gibb River Road?
How to burn wood in a donkey to heat water?
When to tap a Boab tree for water?
Where to cycle across the Pentecost River to avoid crocs eating your tyres?
Know whether an overturning caravan will flip or roll when it hits a pothole?

Then have a quick squiz at this blog about us cycling across the Kimberley. It's mostly pics.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/12208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards Graham Smith
Canberra

RonK

Re: The Gibb River Road: recent tour

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:06 pm

I've already read your journal Graham. It was an interesting read as it's many years since I was last in the Kimberly.

I must say the landscapes and bush were typical of the northern Australian escarpment country that I knocked about in as a young man, and they really don't hold much appeal for me, but I certainly felt very envious of your adventure.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

coyote

Postby coyote » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:20 pm

That is a great read and well done on the trip. 8)

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks Ron. It was a different, fascinating world to me because I've rarely been out of the south east.
In hindsight, I wish we'd ridden it a bit slower as we sped up toward the end.
I'd love to go back again.
Regards Graham

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:02 pm

Now you have done it ! Just back from 3 months cycling in Italy and you've got me thinking about how to organise to do this tour myself...... next year maybe ??

What a road !! Much cred to you, it looks pretty trying.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:51 pm

It is actually pretty easy (in hindsight). The getting to/from the area takes a bit of thought and planning. Also with hindsight and if I were to do it again, I'd fly up to Kununurra and freight the bike by Greyhound. Then fly back from Broome and freight the bike back from there. I wouldn't drive up and back again.

But yes I'd encourage one and all to consider cycling the area. It wasn't a very physically hard ride with very little climbing and benign temperatures.

Definitely the food and wine supply on the Gibb is a step down from Italy:)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:16 pm

Vintagetourer wrote:Thanks Ron. It was a different, fascinating world to me because I've rarely been out of the south east.
Regards Graham
Yes, I can understand how it appeals to you - In much the same way as the mountains, forests and rolling green landscapes of southern Australia appeal to me.

But your pictures of the waterholes certainly evoked some fond memories of long hours spent lazing around avoiding the heat in billabongs along the Arnhem Land escarpment.

And no doubt readers will be surprised to discover how cool it can get so far north.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:16 pm

Vintagetourer wrote:Thanks Ron. It was a different, fascinating world to me because I've rarely been out of the south east.
Regards Graham
Yes, I can understand how it appeals to you - In much the same way as the mountains, forests and rolling green landscapes of southern Australia appeal to me.

But your pictures of the waterholes certainly evoked some fond memories of long hours spent lazing around avoiding the heat in billabongs along the Arnhem Land escarpment.

And no doubt readers will be surprised to discover how cool it can get so far north.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:24 pm

RonK wrote:
Regards Graham

RonK wrote:
Regards Graham

The acoustics in here are amazing.
You'd swear there was an echo in this thread :wink: :lol: :lol:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:29 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:
Regards Graham

RonK wrote:
Regards Graham

The acoustics in here are amazing.
You'd swear there was an echo in this thread :wink: :lol: :lol:
You've been hitting the rough red again! I warned you to stay away from those Swan Valley vineyards. :) :) :)

Good old Tapatalk. :roll:

STC67

Postby STC67 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi Graham,

That is an awesome adventure. Congrats.

I have done a few bike tours (nothing as adventurous as yours) but your journal has inspired me to start planning the next one, and it still won't be as adventurous as yours.

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:07 am

Thanks for the feedback ST. I am glad the blog was helpful. The Gibb ride was fun, and it did need a few basic precautions, but don't be deterred by any impression of it being adventurous. It wasn't too hard or excessively risky. I am a fairly average, cautious, middle-aged rider fond of creature comforts and with no Bear Grylls tendencies :)

As long as you take a robust bike, plan your food and water carefully then the Gibb should be a straightforward, enjoyable cycle-tour. Personally I am glad I rode with others, but it is safe enough to do solo with basic planning and preparation.