There's road rage, and then there's ROAD RAGE.

winstonw

Re: There's road rage, and then there's ROAD RAGE.

Postby winstonw » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:26 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Seriously though winstonw, you might wanna tone it down a little and allow for a few alternate opinions.
Get a grip. By saying what you have, you're the one wanting to censor alternate opinions.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, we may not agree which is fine, lets move on now as this is off-topic.
Cycling is in my BNA

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:56 pm

What is wrong with people? :(

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/brea ... 6544565550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A 63-YEAR-OLD man has been arrested after allegedly stabbing another man in the head and back following a road rage incident in Hobart.

Police say the man stabbed a 37-year-old man in a car park in Derwent Park Rd on Friday.

The two had stopped at the car park to settle a road rage dispute after one of the men failed to turn left at a nearby junction.

"It caused some anxiety between the drivers, so they both headed to a car park," Detective David Plumpton told AAP.

The younger man is in hospital in a stable condition.

The older man is expected to charged and will appear in court on Friday.
2012 Oppy A4

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:05 pm

Put it into perspective...he only stabbed one of the heads...
;-)

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:52 pm

They were probably related but is'nt everybody in Tasmania.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:49 pm

birdbrain wrote:They were probably related but is'nt everybody in Tasmania.
Now now, don't be like that !

It probably wasn't a RR incident at all.

The 63yo man was pursuing the 37yo man after finding him in bed with his Wife. The 37yo allegedly told his mother it wasn't a good idea, but was reassured by the fact that his sister was watching from the cupboard.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

superdryq

Postby superdryq » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:43 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:What is wrong with people? :(

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/brea ... 6544565550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A 63-YEAR-OLD man has been arrested after allegedly stabbing another man in the head and back following a road rage incident in Hobart.

Police say the man stabbed a 37-year-old man in a car park in Derwent Park Rd on Friday.

The two had stopped at the car park to settle a road rage dispute after one of the men failed to turn left at a nearby junction.

"It caused some anxiety between the drivers, so they both headed to a car park," Detective David Plumpton told AAP.

The younger man is in hospital in a stable condition.

The older man is expected to charged and will appear in court on Friday.
Well that escalated quickly...

cancerward

Postby cancerward » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:33 am

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/ ... sentenced/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Final outcome in May:
Sullivan was charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and wilful damage.

Yesterday Sullivan was sentenced to two years' probation and six months' licence suspension.

"He (Sullivan) used the vehicle as a weapon against me. If it was any other country, he would have been charged with attempted murder or using a motor vehicle as a deadly weapon," Mr Olsen said.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:39 am

Ignoring the requirement to pay up damages to Mr Olden, the sentencing may be nothign more than a penalty on paper. And it may be that Sullivan will indeed ignore the damages as so many others do while the court stands aside and ignores it. And courts seldom award the full cost of damage so Mr Olsen may need to pursue a civil action.

But mostly, from a forward looking perspective and the safety of others, I would have wanted to know that Sullivan's state of mind has alreaqdy been subjected to some form of psych assessment. And, if not, that the sentencing include a direction to that effect. The bloke will quite legally be entitled to be behind the wheel again in six months with a state of mind that can only be guessed!

Maybe some of this is addressed but the article doesn't give any hint of it.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:55 am

when i was much younger, i lost my license for 6 months when a 'mate' of mine used my car to do donuts on a grass roundabout. all this guy did is go nuts on the road, terrorising other roads users and ramming them, and he gets the same suspension. it's not like he did any donuts. where's the justice?! :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Well, he's not doing hoon driving, so he's hardly doing anything greatly wrong.

Never mind that he could have killed someone, just so long as he doesn't spin the wheels or go 5km/h over the speed limit. He should have lost his license permanently.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:05 pm

absolutely disgusting... this report suggests the guy has form in at least two other incidents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... egu3ds5KZQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Well it just confirms that if you want to kill someone do it with your motor vehicle because the punishment will be non-existent or very light. Magistrates should be elected. There is no accountability for inadequate sentences issued by the judiciary.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:13 pm

The legal system in this country is broken. :x
If that sentence reflects the penalty that our society deems appropriate for that type of behaviour, so is our society.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:34 pm

cancerward wrote:http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/ ... sentenced/
Final outcome in May:
Sullivan was charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and wilful damage.
Yesterday Sullivan was sentenced to two years' probation and six months' licence suspension.
"He (Sullivan) used the vehicle as a weapon against me. If it was any other country, he would have been charged with attempted murder or using a motor vehicle as a deadly weapon," Mr Olsen said.
That's interesting because I have been following this story from day 1 and read a month or two ago that the charges were dropped. I'm surprised to see that a sentence has been handed down but not surprised at how lenient it appears. If I was the victim, I would sure be more than annoyed at the sentence handed out.
<removed by request>

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:19 pm

I find it rather confusing that such an incredibly dangerous situation was treated so lightly.

It makes me wonder what those poor people in prison had to achieve to be considered a menace to society?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Xplora wrote:I find it rather confusing that such an incredibly dangerous situation was treated so lightly.

It makes me wonder what those poor people in prison had to achieve to be considered a menace to society?
They stole something.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Xplora wrote:I find it rather confusing that such an incredibly dangerous situation was treated so lightly.

They stole something.
or didn't pay tax

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:30 am

jasonc wrote:or didn't pay tax
That's the one I was going to say. Don't mess with the Taxman!

The video is pretty terrifying. Especially because the victim is an ex-policeman so seems to know some of the tricks to trying to get away and even he is getting pretty scared at the end. I would not have thought to reverse or cross onto the wrong side of the road or onto the footpath.

2 year's probation and 6 month's licence suspension is a pathetic punishment.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Stole something? Didn't pay tax? You won't get jail on a first offence for either of those... and you need to try VERY VERY hard to get jailed for tax evasion. Trust me.

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Xplora wrote:Stole something? Didn't pay tax? You won't get jail on a first offence for either of those... and you need to try VERY VERY hard to get jailed for tax evasion. Trust me.
LOL all the marketing courses I have been forced to attend state " never , ever, ever , say 'trust me' as no-one will ever ever trust you again after you say that"

Are we talking about Glen Wheatley ? :wink:

Walst

Postby Walst » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Just watched that video for the first time.

What scares me (apart from the video itself) is the fact that this guy just happened to capture it on camera when so few road rage cases are. To read about it in the newspaper is one thing - often it's just words on a page, we shake our head and move on to the next article - but to see actual footage is far more visceral and really brings home what we are potentially dealing with on our roads.

I have only been witness to one serious road rage incident that involved cars having to move up onto the median strip off, a nutcase with a baseball bat and his hysterical girlfriend. Thankfully it didn't escalate beyond threatening words and a smashed side mirror to the victim. But that is one more incident than I ever want to see again.

2 years is a disgrace for the lives he put at risk.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:56 pm

You never know who you're sharing the roads with or how little it takes to push some of them over the edge.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/ne ... le-police/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Too old to live, too slow to die.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:10 pm

My evil ex got rammed off the road and through a fence by her husband. THats road rage. Oh she was a trained police driver.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:37 am

Property is often held in higher regard than life or limb by the courts. And in line with popular culture the perceived value value of the property is often out of line with its actual value. A theft of $20,000 of jewellery will be more enthusiastically prosecuted by the enforcers of the law than the theft of $20,000 of work tools.
In my (limited) experience.