Beginner Road/Commuter Bike < $600

michael_w

Re: Beginner Road/Commuter Bike < $600

Postby michael_w » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:56 pm

dajackal wrote:I ended up ordering the Cell Swift and insisted that they take the time to fit me properly when I go in to pick it up.

I am a total noob when it comes to road bikes but I feel that the Cell bikes are a better package overall from the feel of the handlebar grips to the comfort of the saddle. To top it off, the Cell Swift looks awesome :)

Lurkin, do you have any tips on how to make a road bike more practical for commuting? My bike doesn't have mount points for installing a rear rack. Also I was considering getting fatter 28c tyres for comfort and stability.
I've had this bike for about 4-5 weeks now and am rapt in it. I commute 3-4 days a week (36-40 km round trip) and ride a bit further some weekends. I'll be using it for Around the Bay and hopefully the Fruit Loop as well. It's a massive step up from my old flat bar commuter and it makes me want to ride. For me it's very comfortable and it just works 8)

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:49 am

i'm a little disappointed with my swift.

the gears don't shift that cleanly and the fit is terrible.
it's completely different to the demo bike i tried out and based on my purchasing decision on.

i'll raise it with cell when i bring it in for my first service but just a little disappointed since i got so excited about buying my first road bike.
i suspect they might ask me to fork out some $$ for a shorter stem?

irrelevant_apple

Postby irrelevant_apple » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:28 am

if it's the same size as in store it should be adjustable to fit? On my falco sport flipping the stem raised the geometry enough for my beginner back and comfort level

comehome

Postby comehome » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:23 am

dajackal wrote:i'm a little disappointed with my swift.

it's completely different to the demo bike i tried out and based on my purchasing decision on.

i'll raise it with cell when i bring it in for my first service but just a little disappointed since i got so excited about buying my first road bike.
were you fitted at cell?

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:03 pm

dajackal wrote:i'm a little disappointed with my swift.

I'd suggest that they'd be keen to put things right. From what I've heard Cell are pretty good (save for being clever at upselling, but that's what good salesmen do...). However you could also get out the allen keys, laptop with Youtube loaded (to tune the gearing) and a table to lean against to sort out your saddle height and then your bar angle. You'll likely need to tune your rear derailleur before the first service anyway if you ride the bike a bit.

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:17 pm

comehome wrote:were you fitted at cell?
only the saddle height. the guy at the store said he couldn't fit me cos i wasn't wearing bike shorts...

also i distinctly remember the stem being shorter on the demo unit i tried. not sure how my one ended up being so long. went for a ride this morning around olympic park ended up with sore shoulders and neck. maybe i just need to get used to it? just doesnt feel comfortable.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:53 pm

dajackal wrote:
comehome wrote:were you fitted at cell?
only the saddle height. the guy at the store said he couldn't fit me cos i wasn't wearing bike shorts...
Just an excuse. In theory he couldn't do the saddle height either if you are not wearing the shoes and shorts you are going to cycle in.

Plenty of saddle height calculators out there.
http://www.ecovelo.info/2008/10/16/more ... le-height/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dajackal wrote:...also i distinctly remember the stem being shorter on the demo unit i tried. not sure how my one ended up being so long. went for a ride this morning around Olympic park ended up with sore shoulders and neck. maybe i just need to get used to it? just doesn't feel comfortable.
Seems like a customer service fail to me to have a different demo bike stem size to the stock bike size unless they are willing to customize for each bike.

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:01 pm

thanks buddy,

just another quick question - if i'm finding it difficult to brake from the hoods what is the usual fix?

i find i don't have enough leverage and the finger strength to do an emergency brake from the hoods.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:39 pm

Rotate the handlebars toward yourself a little.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:04 pm

dajackal wrote:thanks buddy,

just another quick question - if i'm finding it difficult to brake from the hoods what is the usual fix?

i find i don't have enough leverage and the finger strength to do an emergency brake from the hoods.
This is common for road bikes, particularly cheaper ones. I had the same problem.

Start with a front brake pad upgrade. You only generally need to upgrade the front as it is your power brake. The rear brake is just a control brake to use in corners, to signal and use more in bad weather or road surfaces. It usually doesn't need an upgrade as it is usually strong enough for its job.

In my case, first I upgraded the pads which helped somewhat before swapping the whole front end to a disc brake setup. It is good now and I intend to upgrade further to hydro disc in the future. Disc is not cheap, but worth it.

Just to show not all road bike brakes are so-so.
http://road.cc/content/review/85499-trp ... isc-brakes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;