6K Club 2013 Edition

grantw

Re: 6K Club 2013 Edition

Postby grantw » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:01 am

Summer is at least a couple of days away yet.

I was organiser on a 400km Audax ride today, though I've had manflu this last week so bailed on the ride but decided to support the 305km control at Bundanoon in the southern highlands. The riders had encountered a few difficulties en route (3 punctures and a broken spoke in the first 60km) which set them back a few hours. After that they saw a bit of weather climbing up to Tarago (50kph headwind, a bit of hail, some sleet - just the usual...) So at midnight I've got the billy on outside the Post Office in Bundy, it's 3 degrees with a howling southwesterly shaking the wombats out of their holes.

I fueled them up with coffee, tea and soup (anything hot) while we watched the tour on the ipad (how does Jensie do it???) and waved them off at 1am into the dark and cold for the last 95km!

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:32 am

Sounds like a tough ride Grant, good move to sit it out.

I too have a mild dose of manflu and with the 60km/h icy winds there is no way I'm going outside today. Spent yesterday morning at kids soccer in the rain and that was enough to finish me off. Currently 4C outside with an apparent temp of -6.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:51 am

Yes, I have also succumbed to sooky-la-la manflu (what my wife terms it as!) and have been off the bike for the past few days. The temps here are glacial; windchill is ridiculous, so I may wait until tomorrow to see whether I can get back on the pony. Unless the temps rise above 6degC today - which I highly doubt... :shock:
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:06 am

It sure was Dave, they eventually made it back to dapto at 6.28am. They said that descending the pass was a lesson in suffering - which is saying something because these guys know their suffering!

Got a balmy 12c here in the gong, lovely sunshine, howling wind. I'm tossing up whether to get on the trainer or wait and see if the wind drops for a late afternoon ride.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:31 am

Meeting my annual target is, as expected, not going to be an issue. Just updated my logs and, even by last years high standard, the recent weeks have been a biggy.

This year I have almost canned the occasional train ride to get to work. Which increases my kms quite a bit. However I am finding that working in Vic Park (temporary office shift) is increasing my riding even more drastically. Basically I now exchew the train and do the long ride all the way home more often. The only downside is I am now a little more inclined to sleep in on weekends when I would otherwise go for a ride for most of the day.

I had a big weekender riding around Mandurah yesterday. I should get down there more often, it's ideal for my mode of ambling.

I have also added a headsock to my winter gear. I should have done that decades ago.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:22 pm

DaveOZ wrote:
I too have a mild dose of manflu and with the 60km/h icy winds there is no way I'm going outside today. Spent yesterday morning at kids soccer in the rain and that was enough to finish me off. Currently 4C outside with an apparent temp of -6.
Poor effort Dave. Should have come down to Canberra last night to see Parra beat the Raiders (and they didn't). Wind, rain- don't know the temperature but I couldn't feel my fingers or toes. The three people sitting in front of me shivered all the way through the game which didn't help either. Happy to be back in the Highlands and that is saying something.

CB

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 am

Well done to those ahead of their targets!!

As I climb the aging ladder, getting things cut out, falling over, very wet weather etc etc ,the target quickly hides around the corner.

In the interest of those behind their target, with 161days left from tomorrow I 'am personally behind by 656km (6000), now that seems a lot but, divide it by days left I have to add 30km per week over & above, my 3 day ride programme, hmmm 10km per ride, ( should add a shorty) :roll:

Providing there are no more procedures etc., this should be accomplished :)
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:29 am

Just realised, while updating my sig on veloviewer, that with this morning's ride I've passed last years total elevation :)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Hmmm. My Strava data hasn't come across for several days. Statmonkey "Fetch ride data" seems to be broke when I try to force it. The data is certainly in my Strava log. Anyone else having problems?

Edit: Actually I notice it hasn't picked up for quite some time. Last one accepted was around a month ago. (And that hurts seeing as the past month has probably been my best by a long shot.)
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:05 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Hmmm. My Strava data hasn't come across for several days. Statmonkey "Fetch ride data" seems to be broke when I try to force it. The data is certainly in my Strava log. Anyone else having problems?
Sadly statmonkey is broken
Marshious wrote:It has stopped working because Strava have retired the api I was using and have restricted access to the new one. I've sent them an email, but it doesn't look too promising. I'll keep you updated.

http://engineering.strava.com/strava-v1v2-api-retired/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:10 pm

find_bruce wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Hmmm. My Strava data hasn't come across for several days. Statmonkey "Fetch ride data" seems to be broke when I try to force it. The data is certainly in my Strava log. Anyone else having problems?
Marshious wrote:It has stopped working because Strava have retired the api I was using and have restricted access to the new one. I've sent them an email, but it doesn't look too promising. I'll keep you updated.

http://engineering.strava.com/strava-v1v2-api-retired/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the update. I just did a search which I should have done before posing the question.

I have my rides on bikejournal but gave up trying to get it working this year. If it's a Strava thing then perhaps I might try to get my sig working off BikeJournal again. BJ suited me better anyway.

diventare

Postby diventare » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:57 pm

Major slump. winter.

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:47 pm

grantw wrote:Just realised, while updating my sig on veloviewer, that with this morning's ride I've passed last years total elevation :)
Nice work Grant.

I must say I like checking out the graphs on the summary page after updating the rides. It's nice to see that time and distance are both running close to last years graph while the elevation is nicely ahead.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:13 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
find_bruce wrote:

Thanks for the update. I just did a search which I should have done before posing the question.

I have my rides on bikejournal but gave up trying to get it working this year. If it's a Strava thing then perhaps I might try to get my sig working off BikeJournal again. BJ suited me better anyway.
Bikejournal sig still works fine for me. I've noticed I can't catch you :x

Just paste the code from StatMonkey and it works fine.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:20 am

diventare wrote:Major slump. winter.
This. I've had a very mild dose of manflu this week but I'm lacking enthusiasm to get back on the bike. This morning it is -5 at work so I'm actually glad I drove to work.

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:43 am

Not long till spring now fellas :-)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:44 am

DaveOZ wrote:
diventare wrote:Major slump. winter.
This. I've had a very mild dose of manflu this week but I'm lacking enthusiasm to get back on the bike. This morning it is -5 at work so I'm actually glad I drove to work.
Wash your mouth out Dave, there is no such thing as a mild dose of manful. By definition every case of manflu is debilitating, potentially life threatening & can only be cured by the other residents of the house waiting upon you with soup & cups of hot chocolate. :D

I thought it was cold in Sydney today - I had to go back to wearing long sleeves.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Totally agree Bruce! Lucikly I'm almost over this dose of debilitating manflu and only had a few days off the bike. Bring on Spring I say!

Sent from a MacGalaxy far, far away...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:58 pm

macca33 wrote:Totally agree Bruce! Lucikly I'm almost over this dose of debilitating manflu and only had a few days off the bike. Bring on Spring I say!

Sent from a MacGalaxy far, far away...
Move to Perth. In Perth we skip winter. Autumn jumps straight into spring

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:14 pm

find_bruce wrote: Wash your mouth out Dave, there is no such thing as a mild dose of manful. By definition every case of manflu is debilitating, potentially life threatening & can only be cured by the other residents of the house waiting upon you with soup & cups of hot chocolate. :D
Tell me about it. I spent monday in bed with the wife bringing me cups of tea. It was touch and go for a while but I managed to pull through enough to go to work for the rest of the week but not ride.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:18 am

Great day for riding today. I reckon I made the most of it :D Winery Wander

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:41 pm

I was going to ride 312 km to be like GrantW, but I stopped a bit short - about 287 km by my maths :mrgreen:

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:51 pm

I'd love to move Col, but nobody would go with me!

You know how I said I was getting over the manflu...well, no...past two days spent alternating between shivering / sweating with huge temperature. To the doc tomorrow if I again wake up crook....not good.

Hope everyone else is faring a little bit better!

GrantW - just WOW!!!

cheers

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks Guys, I managed a short recovery ride today but really feel the ache after yesterdays efforts. The 300 was a great ride though, fabulous weather and a challenging route. I rode most of it with a couple of great guys so we could share the banter and the suffering and the encouragement.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Great effort Grant. I was out today sussing out the AUDAX dirt 100. Well some of it.

I even tried using the force to get my bike :-)