The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Percrime » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Cool. Good work that solo
Percrime

by BNA » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:19 pm

BNA

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:19 pm

newie wrote:Lady pushing a pram smack-bang in the middle of the shared path, not leaving adequate safe passage on either side of her. I approach from behind, some distance back - ding ding, no response, so ding ding, no response, quite close now, DING DING, no response. Now walking pace behind her "Excuse me!". She moves over a little bit to the left and I slowly squeeze pass. As I do, she says " I didn't know which side you were going to go". Huh? Look around perhaps? Maybe move over one way or the other so there is in fact some space somewhere for me to go by. I maintained my cool and simply smiled and said, "I always pass on the right". You wonder sometimes.

Didn't you know from the almighty hullabaloo on here that you are supposed to give way, and pedestrians are apparently now walking on the right because it is safer. :lol:

I've seen other people riding side by side on the shared paths, but squeezing over a bit, but still hardly any space on the right to go past. And they wonder why I will ride behind them at 8km/h and not attempt to pass. ;)

And Mr Harold Scruby can become all agitated and annoyed, since the Police are back fairly frequently on Bridge Street Sydney pinging the pedestrians walking across on the red pedestrian crossing signal. :D There are enough offenders so it seems that they are cracking down on it occasionally.
g-boaf

Postby rangersac » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Me last night. No zippered pocket in my outfit for last night's MTB ride, so instead the car keys went into the saddle bag. You can guess what happened to that zip during the ride...
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby Xenon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:10 pm

An honourable mention to the ninja I noticed around 9:30 last night, on the road, no lights, no reflectors (except for the ones on the pedals) no helmet and no hands.
Xenon

Postby Percrime » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:45 pm

And the blonde I saw on the flatbar on Koornang creek at about 5:00pm, with the long hair and lack of helmet. You were gorgeous. :D Thank you for brightening up my ride.
Percrime

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm out on the Cooper for a bit of dusky path blasting...

Yes, I'm lit :roll:

1/ Me. Bad timing, LOTS of those little midgy things in the air along the creekside paths. There goes my diet.

2/Young lad upon a scooter with Mum walking large puppy. Sees me in good time (did I mention I was lit?) and dived to the right. I was already going very slowly so I rolled to the middle of the path and froze. Left elbow shaved by a scootrist and right bumcheek simultaneously sniffed by a large friendly puppy :? Mum apologised ("No worries, they learn :) ") and was reminding the young feller about keeping left until out of earshot, methinks he'll be right 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby chill1995 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Mulger bill wrote:? Mum apologised

was she hot?
chill1995

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Not compared to the GLW :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:36 am

Mulger bill wrote:Not compared to the GLW :D

she reads this forum too?
jasonc

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:32 am

jasonc wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Not compared to the GLW :D

she reads this forum too?

Not that I'm aware of but I know what side me bread's buttered :wink:
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:53 am

Dumb cyclist = me. Made the stupid mistake of not checking the disc pads on my mountian bike properly (nor bringing spares) on a 700 km ride of the Munda Biddi Trail. I also assumed that 1,000 odd kilometres was minimal mileage for brake pads. I was wrong. Completely lost front braking due to pads going and the rear are at 25%. Oh lost all brake fluid too. I did learn olive oil actually works quite well :)

Anyway ride abondon with two days to go. No fun trying to go down switchbacks on a loaded bike with no brakes :)

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:03 pm

Actually me - zoned out temporarily fighting a big headwind, drifted to the wrong side of the path. Sorry. :(

Otherwise, following two riders for a while who rushed across the red light (I assume two of them actually) in their hurry. Karma struck when they were stopped with a puncture later on. I might have been slower, but I did at least cross when the lights were green.
g-boaf

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Had an interesting one this morning:
had just started on the go between bridge and there was a runner in front of me. for those who don't know, cyclists only on the west side of the bridge and pedestrians on the east side of the bridge. so I had time so I thought I'd just remind the runner that he should be on the other side. His response "but this side doesn't have steps" :roll:
jasonc

Postby Bah77 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:50 pm

I agree with him on the steps sentiment... but the other side has a handicap ramp (so you can avoid the steps)... which i have seen cyclists use, i assume because they don't realise the different sides of the bridge are cyclist/ped. Also i like how someone has spraypainted a pink circle on the ground around the cycle markings there.

On a similar note when i was entering the veloway a couple were starting to walk up it, i pointed out it was a cycleway and their reaction indicated they didn't realise (fair enough), and on exiting at the steep downhill part another couple had just started walking up, i said "cyclepath" while i was going past and their reaction indicated they didn't seem to realise either, it made me think is the fact that "dedicated cycle paths" are an actual thing something that people think about.. most people probably just see a path and think "i'll go that way" not realising that bikes might be flying around blind corners at 40k on the path.
Bah77

Postby eldavo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:16 pm

30 second mark here to skip downhill:

Cyclist riding downhill at speed does not want to give way at crossing behind us other cyclists.
So he barges through the pedestrians via the oncoming lane.
He almost hits one and swerves around but then nearly clip stacks heading towards the median/island curb and un-clips before dodging back into the oncoming path and turning away on the side street.
There is a back street road option from the top of the hill he could have used to take the side street, but, I don’t think his bearings or spacial awareness or decision making skills are good enough to realise that =P

https://vimeo.com/70760518
Last edited by eldavo on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
eldavo

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Tricky one this but I've put it here as the driver became a ped.
In the Red Hill area and was passed by a ute. No dramas, gave plenty of room to pass me wide. (maybe he saw the flashing Go-Pro on the back of the bike)
Not a few hundred metres down the road I see his ute pulled over. Coming up to pass him at about 45kph he opens his door and proceeds to walk across the road. No check, nothing.
Good thing I wasn't being tailed by a car or truck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJICbpb ... hxdyNpNhaQ
BianchiCam

Postby mattwilkinson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:32 pm

Time to invest in another gopro bianchi :D
mattwilkinson

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Me today...

Stopped at red lights on a hill with traffic queued behind me. Lights for the other road go red, I count to 2, and jump the light by 1 second to get rolling. I don't normally do this, mind - it was just because it was on a steep hill. Anyway, I haven't dealt with these lights very often before and it turns out they stay red for a long time to allow a side road 30 meters further up to get a clear run :oops:

I made sure it looked like I'd made a mistake rather than deliberately running the red, slumped in shame and shook my head at myself :roll:
InTheWoods

Postby hannos » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:29 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:Time to invest in another gopro bianchi :D

yep, you need a front facing cam now
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:43 pm

I do indeedy. Just waiting for my tax return!
BianchiCam

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:37 pm

I won't say dumb cyclist, but he was rude... I waited until the opposite lane was clear before overtaking a cyclist in front of Melrose High. He told me I should let him know when I needed to pass. I mumbled a 'no worries' and kept going. A little further on I thought I could hear something behind me, then looking behind before overtaking another cyclist, I get a shock to see him drafting me. He stayed on me the whole way up the hill until I crossed Sulwood Dve. Mate, if you read this, I expect you to return the favour next time there's a southerly to push into.

PS, in my experience, letting kitted out cyclists know you want to pass is usually taken as a challenge and often does not result in said 'pass'...
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:03 am

Motorists were good this morning. Can't say the same for this impatient douche.

2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:29 am

lobstermash wrote:I won't say dumb cyclist, but he was rude... I waited until the opposite lane was clear before overtaking a cyclist in front of Melrose High. He told me I should let him know when I needed to pass. I mumbled a 'no worries' and kept going. A little further on I thought I could hear something behind me, then looking behind before overtaking another cyclist, I get a shock to see him drafting me. He stayed on me the whole way up the hill until I crossed Sulwood Dve. Mate, if you read this, I expect you to return the favour next time there's a southerly to push into.

PS, in my experience, letting kitted out cyclists know you want to pass is usually taken as a challenge and often does not result in said 'pass'...

commuter cup racing? :lol:
g-boaf

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:43 am

Not my intention, but yep, seems so. Was half expecting him to zip past me at the top of the hill, but I still had a bit left in the tank. When I was going to overtake him he looked tired, but obviously he didn't like being passed by a plain clothes on a Reid...
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:53 am

Maybe he just thought, oops, I'm holding you up - and helpfully offered to go faster for you? ;)

You should have been able to keep up, surely? :P
g-boaf

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion