Blindingly bright bicycle lights

dv

Blindingly bright bicycle lights

Postby dv » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:23 pm

I can find plenty of discussion about which lights are best, but has been a discussion about poorly adjusted bright front lights? This winter I have noticed two things. There are many more cyclists on my local bike paths on the way to work in the early hours when it is still dark (a good thing). However I would estimate that 1 in every 10 or 15 or so cyclists has their lights pointing into the air completely blinding riders coming the other way, which is not such a good thing. The problem seems (to me) worst with the flashing type lights for visibility as there is not too much benefit to angling these downwards. There now seem to be quite a few lights on the market that are incredibly bright and you can certainly see them from a very long way away. The problem is you can see nothing else! Last week I had a very close shave when I ran off the bike path after being blinded by such a light.
Am I the only rider who finds this a problem, or should I just be carrying my night time sunnies......

il padrone

Re: Blindingly bright bicycle lights

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:40 pm

+1

I very much agree that bicycle lighting technology development is rampant at present, and missing the all-important product safety standards. Most of these lights are concentric beams, great for MTB trail-riding where you like to see the overhead vegetation as well as the trail, and there are very few oncoming riders (or drivers). For on-road use, or bike path use what is needed is a light that puts the light onto the road surface ahead, not wasting it by throwing it skywards, or straight into other road users' eyes.

You only need to use one of the European, especially German lights, like the B&M iQ Cyo to understand the difference.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Blinding lights are one of my pet hates. I am in possession of a set of bicycle spotlights - these things pull 2.3A, so they're serious blinders. They were given to me, but I don't use them on principle because I've had a few close shaves with people coming the opposite direction blinding me from seeing darkly clad peds. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'm very tempted to fit my lights but only use them when a 'supernova' (see definitions thread) approaches.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:04 pm

lobstermash wrote:Blinding lights are one of my pet hates. I am in possession of a set of bicycle spotlights - these things pull 2.3A, so they're serious blinders. They were given to me, but I don't use them on principle because I've had a few close shaves with people coming the opposite direction blinding me from seeing darkly clad peds. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'm very tempted to fit my lights but only use them when a 'supernova' (see definitions thread) approaches.
Rx = B&M Luxos U

Flat but very wide 70 lux beam.

The Luxos is new on the market and a bit expensive, but even the iQ Cyo or the Schmidt Edelux are a far better road cycling light than these 'night-blinders'. If a dynamo is against your religious principles then get the Supernova Airstream:
Sheldon Brown wrote:The Terraflux lens directs 96% of the beam toward the ground instead of the incoming traffic.
or the B&M Ixon iQ
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."