Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

munga

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby munga » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:03 pm

phew! too big. 53 or 54 square is my groove.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Bloody hell I had it half wrapped for ya!!!

hackattack

Postby hackattack » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:55 pm

Hey guys,
I found this bike at the tip recently, It had a stuck seat-post. After weeks of caustic soda I managed to get it out and save the bike. But I have no Idea where its from. Its got Gipemme branded rear dropouts. I found it with Shimano fs-105s crantset, campangolo strada wheels and hubs, ttt competitzion bars ,ITM stem, Dia-compe n500 breaks. Obviousally its branded Carter Cycles. Let me know if you can help me track down more information on this bike. Thanks

morini

Postby morini » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:31 am

Top score. Looks like there's a lot of reasonable parts on it. To ID the frame is a tough one. It looks like one of dozens that look similar and unless it has definitive markings, serial numbers and pantographs you're just guessing. The dropouts and seat post size can give you a few clues but only really suggest origin not prove it. A frame with Gipiemme dropouts usually suggests it was either from Italy, which could mean mass produced, or made locally. Gipiemme being one of the copycat (to Campagnolo) component companies. Some of their stuff is top notch though.

My guess is a Europa or similar but that's because I've got a few of them and the lugs are the same as this one. Having said that there was a Viner for sale on here the other week and it had similar "heart" cut outs in the lugs as yours. Anything with "hearts" to me is a trade frame. You know, buy a frame put your own stickers on etc.

I'm no snob I love these frames.

hackattack

Postby hackattack » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:17 am

The seatpost was 27.2, no other markings but there are screws in the dropouts as in pic one if that's of any use? Otherwise Iv got a closeup of the lugs and the stickers acting as pantographs i guess, anyone recognize the signature?
Im not hopeful of finding out anything else but thanks anyway

morini

Postby morini » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:36 am

Screws in the dropouts are there to align the wheel. Stickers are just stickers. Particularly ones that look like they're newer than the paintwork. 27.2 can either mean Columbus tubing or the post tube has been reamed out. The maker has gone to the trouble of using Gipiemme dropouts so maybe it's made of the good stuff i.e.Columbus. Looks alright to me.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:06 pm

morini wrote:Screws in the dropouts are there to align the wheel. Stickers are just stickers. Particularly ones that look like they're newer than the paintwork. 27.2 can either mean Columbus tubing or the post tube has been reamed out. The maker has gone to the trouble of using Gipiemme dropouts so maybe it's made of the good stuff i.e.Columbus. Looks alright to me.
27.2mm post is a good indicator of top quality steel tubing from Columbus or Reynolds.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:42 pm

As promised, an image of the Kris Denham TT bike is here.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:05 pm

If you never ask you never get! A Concorde picked up for free today. Campy record aero post, Cenelli bars and stem, Campy FD and shifters, Shimano Santé crankset and RD, Selle Itallia Turbo Gel, one Rigida tub that still has full anodising on the braking surface plus one Macic GP4, both with Shimano 600 hubs. The componentry is a bit of a dogs breakfast but I have a Columbus frameset! All FREEEEEEEE! Will post more pics tonight.

The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:09 pm

Some of the phone pics are a bit dodgy. Thoughts?
A quick wipe of the forks and they appear to be fairly good: some surface rust on the frame and only one set of bidon mounts. Columbus Alle tubing. The frameset doesn't have a name but with the tubing I'm assuming its below their midway point.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Gee the chrome in the fork looks pretty good.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:36 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Gee the chrome in the fork looks pretty good.
Literally 10 seconds with organic general purpose kitchen spray and a bit of paper towel.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Looks no good. Unsafe even. Given your position on cycling safety im sure you wont want to ride it. I can safely take it off your hands.

Nice pickup :mrgreen:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:51 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Looks no good. Unsafe even. Given your position on cycling safety im sure you wont want to ride it. I can safely take it off your hands.

Nice pickup :mrgreen:
Good point well made. I'm happy to meet my maker on it however :)

servicimo

Postby servicimo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Noice!!
one nice bike.....

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:12 am

damn good pickup i say...Aelle is half decent and same as chromor isn't it? i guess its not TSX or SLX but the components that came with it sounds like it was an average model unless someone's just put it together with parts lying around? keeper?

munga

Postby munga » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 am

aelle is not quite as good as cromor. cromor is usually specified for taller frames, where sl would flext too much.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:49 am

Noice orright. But intrigued by the "... never ask you never get..." :| Spied in neighbour' garage? I'd probably risk my life on it too. :)
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:01 am

frailer5 wrote:Noice orright. But intrigued by the "... never ask you never get..." :| Spied in neighbour' garage? I'd probably risk my life on it too. :)
Customers driveway on a rural property. The perks of being a courier driver :) Another seatpost size I've never dealt with now though, 26.6mm. I keep finding bikes with odd seat tubes which increase costs and time spent looking. The Chorus seatpost has some major scoring on it.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:22 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Some of the phone pics are a bit dodgy. Thoughts?
"Tretubi Aelle" means that only the three main tubes are Aelle (seamed plain gauge Columbus CrMo tubing). The rest could be anything, from hiten (1020) to more CrMo. I'd say most likely the latter in this case. Probably the rest is a CrMo, but just not Columbus.

However, she should ride just fine, though be a little heavier than a frame made of a butted tubeset such as SL, Cromor or SLX.

Great score. I have always wanted a Concorde myself.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Velo13 wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:Some of the phone pics are a bit dodgy. Thoughts?
"Tretubi Aelle" means that only the three main tubes are Aelle (seamed plain gauge Columbus CrMo tubing). The rest could be anything, from hiten (1020) to more CrMo. I'd say most likely the latter in this case. Probably the rest is a CrMo, but just not Columbus.

However, she should ride just fine, though be a little heavier than a frame made of a butted tubeset such as SL, Cromor or SLX.

Great score. I have always wanted a Concorde myself.
Yeah it's no Squadra but it'll do nicely. I've already tried my first silicone mold and eventually I plan on making the new plastics for the Super Turbo and digitising the paper logos behind them before redlining the saddle. This is a long termer for me and I plan on doing it right.
Given the condition of the seatpost before today I'm already looking forward to getting stuck in. I'll be parting the bike this week.

BNC_82

Postby BNC_82 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:33 pm

G'day Guys,

I picked rescued an old Dragster style bike today. Its fairly well weathered, but the branding stickers are MYER SPEED, I haven't been able to find much on Google about this brand. Can anyone give me any info on the brand or places to look for info?

Tasman

Postby Tasman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Today I picked up an old frame from the tip shop. I have no idea of its age or brand. In fact I am confused as to whether it's a track frame or a road frame.
It has a rather substantial fork crown but it's not drilled for brakes or guard mounting. The fork ends are forged rather than pressed and have no eyes for guard mounts. The seat stays are nice and slender and brazed on and the bridge is drilled vertically for a guard but, again,there are no provisions for a brake. Track (or road) ends rather than dropouts.
The seat post is close to 26.5mm and the head set is of a type I know nothing about but looks like it could be pre 1940's.
I would appreciate any information you good folks can furnish.

Sorry for the crap phone photos.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:14 pm

Tasman wrote:Today I picked up an old frame from the tip shop. I have no idea of its age or brand. In fact I am confused as to whether it's a track frame or a road frame.
<snip> the head set is of a type I know nothing about but looks like it could be pre 1940's.
Well, the headset is a clamp style headset, almost certainly pre-WWII in Oz. Like this 1930's Malvern Star.
It looks like it has a brazed up multi-piece rear chainstays, ie the rear chainstay assembly is made up of two stub pipes from the bottom bracket, a machined or cast bridge joining them (often a BSA part) and two long stays back to the rear wheel, often a sign of earlier manufacture and better quality. Keyhole front dropouts push it back pre war as well.

I also own one with the same headlug cut but with simpler lugs.
It is a bit of an enigma as it has one piece chain stays with a bolted up rear end but full BSA fittings at the bolt points with 'snail cam' rear dropouts Ordinary headset as you see tho I have a suspicion that the steerer may have been shortened at some point. Simple lugs but very light with (for the period) tight clearances for a 28" wheel. No brake drillings. When it was paint stripped a 'Reynolds' tubing stamp showed up on the top tube (not 531 in those days of course)

So, same problem, what was this bike for? Where did it come from? Maybe they are from the same stable but it does occur to me that that oval cut out shape is very easy to make with a hacksaw and may have been used in many places?
Cheers
Richard

LG

Postby LG » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 pm

So Tasman, your wife has let you visit the tip shop again :lol: . Nice pickup there, looks to be a pre WWII frame a fair bit better quality than the average roadster. Any date code on the cranks/chainring, or any other parts come with it?
LG = Low Gear