Beginner steps to Bupa Challenge

JetRangerMike

Beginner steps to Bupa Challenge

Postby JetRangerMike » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:20 pm

I took up cycling at the start of this year, and are gradually building up fitness and endurance to the point I am typically riding 30-50km each ride on the weekend around the Adelaide Hills (ie. I live in the Mt Barker region). So, when the routes for next year's Tour Down Under came out - I thought the Bupa challenge seemed like a good goal to aim for. (will probably start at Meadows (about 112km in length))

I am interested in others experiences of the Bupa challenges (specifically suitability for a beginner) and suggestions for "beginner" rides as steps to completing the Bupa Challenge next January? (obviously to supplement my own training)

Typically, I have only ridden alone or with one other person - so one concern I have is riding with the number of other cyclists on the road and making sure I complete the course safely.

I have seen that BikeSA have rides on the weekend around here, but the seem to typically expect MTB or Hybrid bikes rather than roadies. Are there other group ride around the Mt Barker area suitable for beginners?

Any other advice on training for the Bupa challenge others might have would be greatly appreciated.

r11ss

Re: Beginner steps to Bupa Challenge

Postby r11ss » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:49 pm

Try getting to the buffalo in Glenelg at 8am Saturday to ride with the cobwebs. That should give you the feel for riding in a group. They are a friendly and welcoming bunch. Go for the full ride, if you do some serious training you should be able to complete it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

alex

Postby alex » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:50 pm

if you can manage 100km in the hills by yourself you will be fine on the challenge tour. make sure you eat regularly.

and dont worry about doing heaps of big group rides, just ride predictably on the day

heaps of people finish it every year with basically no training... its not that difficult
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

JetRangerMike

Postby JetRangerMike » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks - I have checked out the cobwebs web-site, looks good. Getting up and down to Glenelg ready by 8am might be a bit of a challenge though! :)
r11ss wrote:Try getting to the buffalo in Glenelg at 8am Saturday to ride with the cobwebs. That should give you the feel for riding in a group. They are a friendly and welcoming bunch. Go for the full ride, if you do some serious training you should be able to complete it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2