First Build

variable

First Build

Postby variable » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Hello all, new to the forums (and for that matter Australia), but have been going through postings trying to compile a list of possible frames and sources for a singlespeed project. Mainly planning on using it for commuting. This will also be my first build project. I have acceptable mechanical abilities, but am looking to learn, and figured this would be a great start.

I guess I am lost as to where to look for frames, seems there is no real central source. I'd love to ride titanium, but for a commuter that seems a bit much $$. So really looking at either steel or Al. I'd love any recommendations or pointers!

Thanks!
-Eric

HLC

Re: First Build

Postby HLC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:05 am

What is your budget for the build?

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi variable, my only suggestion is good old 'ebay'. It's the only place where you can have a choice or options. You may be lucky to find a bikeshop that has a few frames to choose from or perhaps a garage sale or tip find but, for options I would look at 'ebay'.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Do you want a new bike with new parts, or do you want to build a licorice all sort with whatever you can scrounge? There is a big difference in where to look.

Flat bar, drop bar? MTB tough, roadie fast? Carry a load? Might help narrow down some options.

Personally I'd be trawling fleabay and scumtree looking for the best value bits and build a bitzer.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

variable

Postby variable » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:36 pm

So sorry for the delay, apparently I didn't have autosubscribe to topic turned on. Anyways. I'd like to keep the total build to less than $1000, but seeing as that may be difficult, I could see it being worth up to $1500. I would like to do Aluminium with drop bar. 'Roadie fast' as bychosis puts it.

Whilst looking on ebay / gumtree any search terms I should be looking at to get a decent Aluminium fixie frame?

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:01 pm

variable wrote:So sorry for the delay, apparently I didn't have autosubscribe to topic turned on. Anyways. I'd like to keep the total build to less than $1000, but seeing as that may be difficult, I could see it being worth up to $1500. I would like to do Aluminium with drop bar. 'Roadie fast' as bychosis puts it.

Whilst looking on ebay / gumtree any search terms I should be looking at to get a decent Aluminium fixie frame?
If you want Aluminum, have a look at Leader, Colossi, or LDG frames. Gear Brisbane http://www.gearbrisbane.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good place to start looking, they stock the first 2.

Leader Frame & Fork ~$500
Miche Wheelset ~$200 on Wiggle
Sram Omnium cranks/BB - ~$260
Bars, Stem, Seatpost Seat, tyres/tubes, chain, cog, lock ring ~$300

Will build a nice bike.

variable

Postby variable » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:40 pm

I like the Colossi frames, I am unsure of the track geometry changes. For road bikes, I fitted myself out from the appendix in the Zim Art of Road Bike Maintenance and came up with a 575mm Top Tube, but for track bikes, many times this equals a 60cm or larger frame. Is that correct? Any tips for track frame sizing?

HLC

Postby HLC » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Seat tube size is largely irrelevant IMO.

Some people suggest to buy a size smaller with your track bike than your roadie, and use a long erecto stem and a ton of seat post. Which will get you low over the bike.

My track bikes are the same size and fit as my roadie. Do what is comfortable for you.

variable

Postby variable » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:30 am

Ok so you are saying ignore the 56,58,or 60cm frame size and go with whatever frame has a 575mm top tube or maybe a bit smaller?

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:58 pm

variable wrote:Ok so you are saying ignore the 56,58,or 60cm frame size and go with whatever frame has a 575mm top tube or maybe a bit smaller?
If you can find one a similar fit to your roadie, then you will be on the money.

But yes, i'm largely saying find something with a 575mm top tube, and you should be able to get it to fit with the correct stem height/seatpost length etc. ( i wouldn't completely disregard seat tube length, but it is not as critical as TT).

PYLee

Postby PYLee » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:57 pm

what about the cinelli frames ? vigorelli, mash and gazzetta