New Corsa (learning)

william

New Corsa (learning)

Postby william » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi Riders,

Now that I've had the Corsa for a whole week I can thoroughly say it (or me) has potential.
Changing the seat angle seems to alter handling a lot and acceleration. I can pedal harder with the seat upright but can go faster on the open road with the seat down.
I also really, really need to practice putting the correct foot forward for tight turns too. Not that I've fallen off turning, completely fallen over anyway but strained a muscle trying not to embarrass myself. Falling off happened at the traffic lights when I was experimenting with cleats.
I was coming up to traffic lights in the bike lane hoping a green change would happen before I had to stop but... I had to stop, unclipped my left foot, proceeded to rest it on the ground and over balanced the other way falling on my side because I couldn't get my foot out in time.
What a Klutz. I laid momentarily on my side thinking how embarrassing and then couldn't get my foot out from under the bike. At that point a driver (David) came to see if I had medical problems or needed an ambulance and after a briefing helped me to my feet with all the other traffic driving slowly past. I just wanted a brown paper bag. I thanked him profusely and he asked me to take care in a polite way.
OK! Off the road and onto the bike trails for now. Car parks (empty, of course) and back streets for now.
Got home and checked the bike. Its OK. Few ales to get over the bruised ego and then Let my wife laugh so hard she wet herself.
Next time I won't tell her but something tells me I will.
Comfort of the bike with the Euromesh seat is great. Cockpit layout and functionality of controls with twist shifters is better than what I expected. Tyres and wheels are very good and overall riding comfort is better than what I expected. It rides smoother over roughish roads thanks I suppose to the combination of the seat and wheelbase.
Overall I'm very pleased.

Regards,

William.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:58 pm

Sounds like you're having a ball. Take it easy starting off, but from the sounds of it, you're getting there.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi William,
Glad to hear that you are having lots of fun with the Corsa.

Have you taken it for a climb?

I would be interested to hear your personal experiences with climbing with the Corsa and with a regular upright.

Cheers
Thomas

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:09 am

Hi William, I see you've hit the magic 10 posts, don't keep us waiting, time to post some Bacchetta eye candy pics :wink:

cheers

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

william

Postby william » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:24 pm

Wasn't aware of pic posting but after that ride and posting I'm not sure which pics would be better. The bike or the entertainment of me looking awkward doing the splits trying not to fall off. Or the other one of someone trying to get my shoe out the cleat whilst partially trapped under the frame.
Oh! dear me.
No camera. (lucky eh!).
OK! OK! I'll see if the camera still works.
Will have to be later...

William.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:03 pm

william wrote: Or the other one of someone trying to get my shoe out the cleat whilst partially trapped under the frame.

William.
OMGosh, you've made my day, I'm sorry I know it's sadistic but the mental image of somebody trapped under their bike 'cos they couldn't eject just had me in stitches. You know full well it's because I did exactly the same thing, my support crew were surprisingly sympathetic, NOT. :wink: :wink:

cheers

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:43 am

Hi William
Just wondering if you could share your experience of your Corsa so far. Especially in terms of how it compares with an upright.

Cheers
Thomas

william

Postby william » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:38 am

Hi Thomas,

I cannot really give you a comparison as they are so different. However after riding as much as I can these last few weeks I got onto my mtb to go into Melb (9 K's) the other day and I thought the kids had changed my speedo from kilometers to miles. It felt so slooow!. I also noticed the extra force of wind in my face and the pressure on my wrists and neck. Things I didn't notice before. Oh! and the sore bum, particularly the sit bones. I don't know if I was previously conditioned and gone "soft" or just something accustomed to.

As for on the road riding I miss the versatility of an upright when traversing kerbs and bike path gateways but these are minor quibbles and considering the time frame differences its really nothing.
Previously my flat road, calm wind condition riding was a happy 26 - 28 Km/h cruise. The same road, same conditions on the Corsa is 32 - 34 without any physical changes. A full on burst of acceleration saw my speedo climb to 52 Km/h before the heart rate said slow down.
Some other things to get accustomed to is seat angle. If its fairly upright it becomes easy to maneuver, ride in busy places and start stopping. If you lay it back you can really notice the speed difference without the wind trying to hold you back but start stopping like this is less comfortable in trying to put your feet down. To overcome this you need to sit up slightly at rest to be able to start easily.
If I was to compare my first few days to now I'm 400% better and very confident to ride it anywhere (within reason).
Last Sunday I rode from Melbourne to Sorrento and back with a friend on an upright. A total I think of 200 K's. The last 30 K's was after sunset and my Fenix L2D light effected my wireless Cateye Strada so my speed and distance stopped at that point. Was either lights or speed (duh).
When I got home the only ache was my leg muscles that knew they had done 200 K's. The next day I was riding into the city to see my friend who could barely walk and complained of a sore rash between the legs (ooh!).
For a quick down the shop errand I will use the Mtb.
For an enjoyable ride without time constaints then the Corsa is absolutely fantastic.
If price is a restriction then look at it from a time point of view and at the end of that your recumbent will still be more valuable.
In October I'll be in the Round The Bay ride, 210 K's. At first I didn't think I would make it but now... Easy.

Happy riding,

William.

vonhazza

Postby vonhazza » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:49 pm

Hi William just had a laugh at your comment about dicomfort on your MTB,
I rode over to a mates place Monday on my GT MTB and got off feeling like I had gone 3 rounds with Mike Tyson, I had not ridden the bike for about 6 weeks and the ride was only about 12K.
I have done a few 100k rides this year on the bent and all I felt at the end was tired.

Regards Steve Cruzbike FWD

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:28 pm

Thanks William for the report.

Appreciate that