Massage?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
flex5150

Massage?

Postby flex5150 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi guys new here and only recent to the cycling game.

I have a question if you dont mind. Ive been riding about a year ( averaging 160km per week). Ability wise im slightly above average on most Strava segments
weight 91kg 5' 9" or 173 ? cm.
Im pretty flexible able to bend over knees straight and place my palms on the ground ..as such I tend to stretch out the hammys quite a bit. However they seem to be very tight with mild discomfort at the insertion of the hamstring and the back of the knee. ( I have had pain there in the past and have read other post here about seat height etc which im about to try)

I also get a dull pain across my right buttock down into the top of the hammy. Not so much when riding but driving or bending forward.

I have never had a massage in my life but wondering would it help and if so what type?

Thanks
Flex.
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Massage?

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue May 28, 2013 11:04 am

Sounds like a bike fit issue to me. Back of the knees usually signals a seat that's too high. You shouldn't need a massage to help you with normal riding.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Massage benefits everyone.

So does some light stretching each night in bed.
Vegan since 2001.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:21 pm

durianrider wrote:Massage benefits everyone.

So does some light stretching each night in bed.
+1, getting a massage isn't a magic bullet and doesn't take the place of stretching but OH BOY does it feel good!

I've found rubbing down my legs in the shower to be a HUGE help in preventing cramps too.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:08 pm

Massage on the legs is just the best. 8)

I've been doing some of it myself on cold mornings with a spray on warming oil from the Elite brand. It doesn't get too hot - nor cause reddening - but it does give a quite nice warm sensation and perhaps along with rubbing it in makes the muscles feel less stiff and a lot better. This morning was properly cold and windy - but my legs didn't complain.

There is also a gel "thermogel" from the same brand but I'm wary of it being too hot.

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:01 am

I have found yoga to be a great way to relieve any muscle tightness, especially around the hip area.
Acupuncture work brilliantly for me also. My calf muscles were ridiculously tight, and had instant relief after the therapy.
Magnesium rich foods or supplements are said to aid with cramping also.
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Had a retul fit done a few weeks backs after getting into this about 2 years ago and gradually doing more more k's as I went along. The physio that did it told me my flexibilty is very poor for someone my age which was a bit of a shock having played sports for all my teens and most of my 20's, He pushed on my ITB's and I was in agony. Had noticed lately my back would tighten up really easily and hamstrings were cramping quite often on longer rides, but the dull pain you have described is exactly what I was getting but in my lower back and only on one side. The fit found I was too hunched up, seat way too low and fwd, and as a result has probably caused poor muscle development. He suggested massage every now and then but also to get a foam roller and use that whenever I can. I'd say the best thing anyone who is riding at least a couple of times a week is pay for a proper fit, it will most likely save you money in the long run.

hangry

Postby hangry » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:25 pm

if you are getting pain in that area
it could be a variety of reasons

1. get a good bike fit either done by a physio, bike shop or with retul, specialized fit
2. stretch after a ride immediately and use a roller to alleviate ITB tightness
3. get a massage (the deep type) every fortnight or however often you can afford it
4. weight train your legs as cycling can cause weakness in other areas such as the glutes, inner thigh and core

william
Cannondale Synapse 105

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 pm

danny the boy wrote:Had a retul fit done a few weeks backs after getting into this about 2 years ago and gradually doing more more k's as I went along. The physio that did it told me my flexibilty is very poor for someone my age which was a bit of a shock having played sports for all my teens and most of my 20's, He pushed on my ITB's and I was in agony. Had noticed lately my back would tighten up really easily and hamstrings were cramping quite often on longer rides, but the dull pain you have described is exactly what I was getting but in my lower back and only on one side. The fit found I was too hunched up, seat way too low and fwd, and as a result has probably caused poor muscle development. He suggested massage every now and then but also to get a foam roller and use that whenever I can. I'd say the best thing anyone who is riding at least a couple of times a week is pay for a proper fit, it will most likely save you money in the long run.
Foam rollers are a great thing. I just started using one today. Don't know why I didn't try one earlier. Used it on the quads, calves, ITB, etc.

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:52 pm

Foam rollers are a great thing. I just started using one today. Don't know why I didn't try one earlier. Used it on the quads, calves, ITB, etc.
+1 to this. I've had a foam roller for about a month now and would recommend one to any cyclist. I try and use it after every ride and always recover much better when I use it than when I don't.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 (Ultegra Di2)

Focus Mares AX 2.0

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:57 pm

joshnh wrote:
+1 to this. I've had a foam roller for about a month now and would recommend one to any cyclist. I try and use it after every ride and always recover much better when I use it than when I don't.
I tried one today because I still had a bit of soreness in the quad (right leg) and they were very tight too. Relief was pretty quick.

I won't say it is quite as good as a good massage, but it had the effect and is cheaper. :)