My TdF

briztoon

Re: My TdF

Postby briztoon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:10 am

The GreenEdge setup from stage 20. Seriously the coolest and most laid back team on the tour.

Impey talking to the fans before sign on.

The fuel that keeps the guys going.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:17 am

For some people it's all about the tech.

Peter Sagan bike, the hulk.

Some teams just didn't want people getting too close.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:02 am

Stage 20. As I mentioned, we watched the race go past from the little village of Les Deserts located about 11km from the top of the cat 1 climb of Mont Renard.

Jensie leading the breakaway.

Clarkie chasing hard in third position.

More of the breakaway riders chasing hard.

Tell me it doesn't hurt.

Movistar leading the chase.

Followed by Sky.

And the rest of the peloton.

And a procession of team cars and officials.

The guys in the team cars take as many photos of the crowd as the crowd takes of the race.Image

And then the sprinters show up.

Thumbs up as the GreenEdge car drives past. :D

Everyone cheers for the last riders coming through.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:12 am

Sunday a few of us decided to take a relaxing ride on the Champs Elysees.

Everyone gets a pretty yellow shirt to wear.

It's a sea of yellow.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 am

It was near impossible to get a good photo of the riders racing on the Champs Elysees from our vantage point in the stands. Between the trees, South African flag wavers down the front and obligatory French flags lining the race route, it was pretty hard to get a photo of anything but a blur of riders.

We were seated behind the Argos Shimano contingent. Needless to say they made a fair bit of noise as Kittel crossed the finish line. They were cool with me as I was barracking for Greipel, "cause he's German to you know yaahh".

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:36 am

That's it guys. Sorry no photos of the presentations. I really enjoyed my first adventure following the Tour. I'm sure I'll be back. Hoping 2016 with the chance of Ritchie Port riding for OGE backed up by Cam Meyer.

Again a big thanks to Will, Scott, Liz, Jean-Paul, Kristoff, Maxim, and the rest of the support staff for running an awesome Tour.

No more living the dream, time to fly home tomorrow. Withdrawal already kicking in. Can't believe my legs and I already miss punishing themselves up stupidly steep and long climbs.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:32 pm

When you come back up for air, could you post some details of the tour company you went with... Would be 2015 at least before I could arrange everything, but would love to know what I would be up for...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:48 pm

G'day Brett,

I went to school with a Brett Hooker.

I went on the Cycling Australia Tour as we won a competition through Subaru. http://www.cyclingaustraliatours.com.au/tour2013.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The tour was run by Sports Pulsion who ran a couple of TDF tours and run many cycling tours and holidays. http://www.sportspulsions.com/the-team.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There were many Aussie tour groups over here, so do some research. At times it seemed like there were more Aussies here than any other nationality. I highly recommend Sports Pulsion as an option, and I look forward to touring with them again.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 pm

I know of another Brett Hooker from the Gold Coast. Where did you go to school mate?
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Grog

Postby Grog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:32 am

Thanks for a great thread briztoon.
Photos really do show a great perspective of the tdf.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:29 pm

Brett, went to Lauries mate.

Grog, cheers. I know other bna members probably went to, or have been to, the TDF as well, but this was the first time for me going overseas and attending a cycling event, being a relative noob, and I just wanted to share my experiences. I'm glad people have enjoyed my photos and stories, and hope other bna members put theirs up to.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Cool... Camp Hill for me... :-)

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:27 pm

Grog wrote:Thanks for a great thread briztoon.
Photos really do show a great perspective of the tdf.
+1 really good.

Your photos which show a sun-drenched tour brings to mind the TdU TV ad that has been showing a lot while you have been away.
You know the one, which reminds us back home "you are at home, it is cold" etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihi1_I9F ... d6kKBshEbg

I wonder if, in recent years there has ever been a tour with such abundantly fine weather.
Because this July Down Under it has been uncharacteristically dismal and rainy, well certainly it has been so in brisbane.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Yes but you will have noticed that there were very few of the classic sun flower field images at this years tour de france ... they have only just started appearing where I live where as they would normally be 6 foot high with huge heads by now... the days are already getting shorter :lol: .

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks elantra. :D
There really wasn't much rain. Except for riding up Alpe-d'Huez and the Col du Glandon, and my last day in Paris. My LBS runs a TDU trip each year and I plan on going on next years.
toolonglegs wrote:... the days are already getting shorter :lol: .
What? 15 hours of daylight aren't enough for you? :lol:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Excellent report Briztoon and pcs. 8) (lucky bugger) :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

baghwan

Postby baghwan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:09 am

Didn't click you where following the tour, should have organized to meet up on Alpe d'Huez, looks like you had a killer trip. Rode solo from Grenoble at 4am with all my supplies on an already heavy touring bike, it was a hard day, set up a spot after dutch corner after a few beers, which was a really bad idea after hard climbing, the ride back to Grenoble was very scary in torrential rain, a day not easily forgotten.

Will have to do some rides when I get back to Aussie in Nov, do you have have the climbing bug now? Part of me can't wait to leave Europe, hop on a bike that doesn't weigh 15kg and smash out PB's on all my regular climbs and go hunting for some real climbs.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:08 am

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =6&t=67010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will be a while before I'm back riding, plan on dining more climbing when I'm back in the saddle.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:41 am

Just don't make the mistake I made and hook in to soon, because you will be told to get off and heal properly. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

btothec

Postby btothec » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:37 pm

We would have been in the same grandstand for the last stage. I was with the Thomson Bike Tour group that would have been sitting on your left hand side.