Magpies v Cyclists - 2013 season

rogan

Magpies v Cyclists - 2013 season

Postby rogan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 am

Bad news I am afraid. Not that magpies are out, that probably means they think it's spring, due to the warm weather. And let's face it, they are coming. But the location.

McGrath's Hill McDonalds, cnr of Windsor Rd and the Hawkesbury Valley Way. The most notorious 'pie in Sydney. I got smacked into on Sunday, on that Bellbird Hill ride with eon and Xplora. It kept swooping us, and then attacked another rider. No scratches or anything, so no damage done.

But I thought the Council had, umm, counselled that magpie to make better choices (using a rifle). Maybe this is the next generation?

herzog

Re: Magpies v Cyclists - 2013 season

Postby herzog » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:13 am

The absolute worst Maggie in Sydney is the one that patrols the XC singletrack loop at Mt Annan botanical gardens.

Does.

Not.

Give.

Up.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 am

I have one maggie that started over a month ago, at first it wasn't everyday but the last few weeks it's been everytime I go past. I tried explaining to him it's not spring but he wouldn't listen.

Stupid bird....

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:30 am

Is the anything out there like a google map or website noting the location of these aerial terrorists? Would be nice to check prior to departure.

Brother in law got swooped in Mayfield (newcastle) last week. A usual suspect, but very early in the season.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:37 am

There sure is Magpie Attack Map

eon

Postby eon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:23 am

rogan wrote:McGrath's Hill McDonalds, cnr of Windsor Rd and the Hawkesbury Valley Way. The most notorious 'pie in Sydney. I got smacked into on Sunday, on that Bellbird Hill ride with eon and Xplora. It kept swooping us, and then attacked another rider.
yep - i've been smacked at thiis section in the past and left me with a cut behind my ear.
Seemed to have an appettite to Rogans helmet. I was next/near him on the way in and out of McDonalds. Both times the magpie went for him.
Can't beleive its out so early in the season... it was like 7-9degrees that morning.

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:50 am

McGraths Hill Magpie got me this morning. Struck behind the right ear as I turned the cnr at Maccas. Prick of a thing :evil: :evil:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Oh god... Can't we just get the council to have NPWS terminate very aggressive magpies.

It's not even warm yet!

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Be nice to maggies. They are only protecting their families and territory, just as any animal (including humans) would do.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:37 pm

The one at Mcgraths Hill is evil incarnate, and will kill someone soon by forcing them into the path of a car. If its a safety matter then that particular bird should be relocated to Byron Bay, so it can have a nice little greeny group hug with other magpies,failing that, it should be destroyed.

(AT) Josh, it hit the big time in the hawkesbury gazzette last year i believe, and was relocated or so i thought, it has become more agressive since last Monday week, i rode past it at twighlight on the path and it was sitting on a sign and just looked at me. Since then he has developed more into the Devil he really is!!!!

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:42 pm

You can always put the dorky looking zip ties or alien eyes on your helmet if you're that worried about your safety from being swooped. They haven't got going in Canberra yet.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:45 pm

lobstermash wrote:You can always put the dorky looking zip ties or alien eyes on your helmet if you're that worried about your safety from being swooped. They haven't got going in Canberra yet.
I'd rather get pecked :wink:

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Same. I find the maggies to be good motivators and I pedal very fast through the areas where I'm more likely to get swooped. I've only been using Strava for the last month or so, and am looking forward to quantifying the 'magpie factor'!

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:15 pm

grantw wrote:
lobstermash wrote:You can always put the dorky looking zip ties or alien eyes on your helmet if you're that worried about your safety from being swooped. They haven't got going in Canberra yet.
I'd rather get pecked :wink:

+2

Not worried it just annoys me. The Magraths Hill Magpie still gets you at 20 kph or 50 kph, he also on occasions jumps on your back or helmet and tries to rip your jersey/helmet off. As i have said before, this one is pure evil....more than most, and would be better off if it were attacking angels in heaven rather than humans on earth.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:39 pm

We got attacked by the Macca's Maggie at Mcgraths hill on Saturday. It was pretty warm on Saturday.

I remember last year it was eyeing me off and was sitting on the "beware of Magpies" sign. Meant to take a photo... it looked pretty funny.

He got blood from my ear on one occasion last year.

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:44 pm

everyone knows the McGraths Hill Maccas Magpie is there, its there every year on the same corner.
Just go around it, turn left the street before and go around, its no longer (presuming your going to Richmond and not over the Windsor bridge and even then only adds a small amount of time).
I prefer to enjoy my ride then worry about a magpie that can rip your ears off :shock: :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:24 pm

TimW wrote:The one at Mcgraths Hill is evil incarnate, and will kill someone soon by forcing them into the path of a car. If its a safety matter then that particular bird should be relocated to Byron Bay, so it can have a nice little greeny group hug with other magpies,failing that, it should be destroyed.

(AT) Josh, it hit the big time in the hawkesbury gazzette last year i believe, and was relocated or so i thought, it has become more agressive since last Monday week, i rode past it at twighlight on the path and it was sitting on a sign and just looked at me. Since then he has developed more into the Devil he really is!!!!
I agree with you on that, if it is that aggressive it needs to be destroyed. I thought it had been destroyed already.

The problem is when a magpie causes someone to crash and end up under a vehicle. You cannot outrun them either. I've been doing 55km/h and still been hit on the side of the helmet by one.

Personally if one attacks me and I get anywhere near swinging distance of it, I'll defend myself and do whatever is needed to stop the threat. I put my safety ahead of that of the bird.

Those of you who know me well enough do know I'm a Greenie if ever there was one. I love those animals, but if it tries to hurt me, it's another story.

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:03 pm

that magpie must be killed. sooner or later someone will be seriously hurt by it.

contact the local council

http://www.hawkesbury.nsw.gov.au/contact-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave_C

Postby Dave_C » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:39 am

Yep I was got on Saturday morning as we slowed for the red light. May be if council is flooded with complaints - they me forced to do something
Dave

TTar

Postby TTar » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:34 pm

leximack wrote:ear
vosadrian wrote:ear
TimW wrote:ear
eon wrote:ear
Anyone notice a pattern here?

I too have copped a bloody ear courtesy of a magpie and I'm wondering might there not be a more dignified way for cyclists to protect ourselves than the ridiculously ornate installations you often see?

Perhaps you only need to protect your ears and I've long fancied those little "ear-muff" type things designed to cut out wind noise -- expanding on the idea, maybe something that wraps around the back of ears and beyond would be an effective prevention?
Sent from my fortified compound

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:00 pm

TTar wrote:Perhaps you only need to protect your ears and I've long fancied those little "ear-muff" type things designed to cut out wind noise -- expanding on the idea, maybe something that wraps around the back of ears and beyond would be an effective prevention?
Like a headband? I wear my headsox over my ears under the helmet and it completely covers the tops and backs of the ears. Although I have yet to experience the pleasure of being swooped by a magpie on the bicycle.

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:56 pm

TTar wrote:
leximack wrote:ear
vosadrian wrote:ear
TimW wrote:ear
eon wrote:ear
Anyone notice a pattern here?

I too have copped a bloody ear courtesy of a magpie and I'm wondering might there not be a more dignified way for cyclists to protect ourselves than the ridiculously ornate installations you often see?

Perhaps you only need to protect your ears and I've long fancied those little "ear-muff" type things designed to cut out wind noise -- expanding on the idea, maybe something that wraps around the back of ears and beyond would be an effective prevention?
There are bigger dangers out on the roads than magpies, and your hearing is one way to protect yourself against those dangers. I am personally against anything that interferes with hearing, although a simple headband would probably be OK. Whether it deters 'pies...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:50 pm

scotto wrote:that magpie must be killed. sooner or later someone will be seriously hurt by it.

contact the local council

http://www.hawkesbury.nsw.gov.au/contact-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DONE. Gosh it's a lot of spank, but there you go.

I would like to register a complaint in regarding to the magpie has been swooping pedestrians and cyclists at the intersection of Groves St and Windsor Rd. Could you please investigate what alternatives are available for dealing with this bird? I am certain you are aware of its particularly aggressive nature and famed dislike of cyclists. I would agree that for the drivers at the intersection it creates a lot of amusement as it attacks more vulnerable members of the community, however from the council's perspective, it is a public liability issue as this particular bird is a well known danger, and creates a genuine road hazard as cyclists often use the breakdown lane for riding, but the bird's aggression leads them to focus on the sky and not the road. The liability aspect is simply that the council does have a duty of care towards all citizens, and unfortunately this bird's nature and choice of nesting location makes for a very dangerous place to ride a bike. Not all riders are aware of this, and newcomers to the area are particularly vulnerable to attacks, whether they are faster riders in the breakdown lane or slower riders on the bike path. To make matters worse, the lights at the intersection guarantee that the rider will have to submit to the possibility of attack as they can't simply attempt to ride away from the magpie's territory. The nature of the intersection westbound is 6 lanes across (2 each way plus a bus lane and a turning lane) which requires additional care on the part of the rider and drivers near them. I believe the risk to riders is substantial, as they can genuinely expect to get injured by the magpie, which exposes them to serious risk from traffic.
I don't believe changing the light sequence is a very good solution, and citizens can expect to be attacked for the next couple of months, which is far too long to expose road users to the dangers of both being hit by a car or truck, or hitting a distracted rider. Given this problem is long term since it has been happening for several years, destroying the bird appears to be a reasonable response given the considerable liability faced by the council, given that human life will always take precedence over an animal.

I would appreciate correspondence in relation to the follow up of my complaint, and would be happy to provide further paperwork if necessary to enable further steps to be taken for the safety of my fellow citizens.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Got swooped this morning on the way to La Perouse. No contact though unlike last time I went to Manly dam.....within the first 50m one hit me, talons first....gouged my nose which bled A LOT... :evil:

Usually I don't bleed there till I fall off the tricky section :roll:

On the plus side, didn't catch bird flu or whatever
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Unfortunately magpies are a protected species and may not be touched or removed Council will resolve its risks by putting up signs that warn about the avian serial killer's behaviour and recommend the wearing of hats and protective glasses.

Being a mountain biker and very much in favour of protection of native species and the natural environment, personally I think this is a ridiculous inversion of priorities. There have been incidents reported of young children having eyesight irreparably damaged by these birds and affecting someone's whole life for the sake of a bird that lives a few years is just stupid. It's not at all like they're an endangered species.

Seems to me they'd be better off if "natural selection" was allowed to take its course and birds with this behaviour were removed from the gene pool.