How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

bychosis

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:54 am

Commuted by BIKE! First time since early June when illness took hold. It was cold, probably as cold as it gets around here but clear skies and otherwise pleasant. Took it easy and enjoyed being out there again. Now to get the lung capacity and fitness back (slowly so there are no relapses)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 am

Very cold morning this morning...frost was heavy on the ground and the cars were covered in ice. Luckily had a small tailwind behind me.

Put my third chain/cassette for the year on the bike on the weekend, plus new jockey wheels. I think the bike is running smoother :) Went for a ride yesterday and the conditions were cold and windy, but the bike flew along (it had road tyres, not commuting tyres)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:24 am

load lugging commute. had a count, after todays shirt, I still have 6 shirts at work....

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:46 am

Friday was a multi-hop commute with a few drops during the first leg to my brother's place. When I headed back home, the skies opened up, but fortunately it's only a 7km ride from there.
Cold this morning, enncountered the same blinkie-equipped dog and owner along the Darebin Creek Trail at around 4:45am. Decent ride into the Melbourne CBD all up.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

vortex1018

Postby vortex1018 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:56 am

jasonc wrote:
vortex1018 wrote:Breaking a spoke on a Saturday night = no riding on sunday and taking a bus on Monday if you don't have tools
what could be worse: LBS mechanic has monday off too :(
you only have 1 set of wheels/ 1 bike? :shock:
Just sold the hybrid :)
Plus expensive tuition fees and rent aren't helping

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:37 am

I only have the one bike. I've been drooling over a few (including doing some custom paint jobs through Trek's interactive website when they were advertising that 'win a custom bike frame during Le Tour by subscribing to Ride' competition (which I didn't end up subscribing to so have no chance of winning)) but I can't justify the expense of a second bike to myself given the axe looming over my head. :cry:

Friday night I knew I should have left work at 5PM. But I stayed a bit longer and copped the pouring rain all the way home. I was trying to take my clear lens sunglasses off at the lights as the rain was just making me blind but none of the lights were slow enough and I kept having to stuff the container back into the vest to quickly push off. The GoPro got wet too as I didn't realise it'd be THAT wet so left the skeleton (open) housing on. Oh well, I took all the pieces out and dried it when I got home. I haven't been caught in that much rain for a long, long time.

This morning at the corner of Elizabeth and Collins I pushed off when the light turned green and my pedal fell out from under me. I thought at first either the pedal had snapped or the chain had broken but turns out I'd shifted down just before the lights and the chain hadn't gone into the correct gear prior to me stopping so when I put my weight on the pedal it changed gears abruptly and the pedal fell to the bottom of the arc. That gave me a bit of a scare!

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:18 am

After taking Friday off to head east for a funeral on the weekend (in wonderfully warm Goulburn- 8 degrees at midday- 2 degrees with wind chill!!). Pulled a hamstring also on Thursday nights ride home which cramped up on me late on Thursday night in bed- not a lot of fun. Took it very easy today in the cold weather with slight headwind- not many people out and about either. Hamstring was okay but still tight and twingy, this is the first directly cycling related injury I have had for over a year so not too bad going.

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:17 pm

I was riding home last Friday in the pouring rain, had reached the hill on Yarra Blvd just west of Chandler Hwy, and was descending, when I spotted a 4WD heading up the hill. The driver then turns on his floodlights (or whatever they're called?) that were mounted slightly above the 2 headlights, and these lights were ridiculously bright. That's one guy who has a problem with cyclists, and is in urgent need of an appendictomy. I would have posted the video, but the rain made the video barely watchable, so there's not much detail in it.

alkhoo

Postby alkhoo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:30 pm

I tossed and turned all night trying to decide whether or not to ride into work this morning. I was going to have to commute in from Blackburn North to Port Melbourne - something that I've never done before. The closest I've come to this is Camberwell - Port Melbourne, a route I've done a couple of times. I was out the door at 5.30am and riding on the main roads (Whitehorse Rd, Canterbury Rd, Elgar, Springfield) was a pleasant surprise from Blackburn North to Camberwell. I had to make a few U-turns to get around lights that refused to change, but otherwise it was fresh but a pretty great ride. I met up with my work colleague and we rode in from Camberwell to the office. About 200m from the office, an incident soured the ride. Coming up to Salmon/Lorimer Streets, we were about 50 feet from the junction. Two cars passed us on the right only to turn left down Salmon St. The first car made a left turn when the lights was red. Absolutely unnecessary. We anticipated this would happen so just gave an "Oi!" with no need for evasive action.

The route back to Blackburn will be different though. I'll be sticking to the bike paths - Main Yarra Trail - Yarra Boulevard, Kew - Bulleen Road - Koonung Creek Trail.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:28 pm

Got the wardrobe just right this morning, bracing on the way out, toasty but not steaming when I got to work. Got in early, stayed late, headlight didn't say boo despite me not having charged it after an hour and a half's ride after work Friday. Nice to be back in a normal-ish routine after a couple of weeks working away and not having my bike.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:57 pm

Perth:

While Google Now indicated that this morning it was not as cold as it started out a few weeks ago, it certainly felt colder. A bit of a breeze probably made it worse.

It's still a pleasure riding early though.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 am

Uneventful ride back yesterday afternoon - the rain held off until this morning, it would seem.
Headed out straight into the rain this morning - it persisted for most of the way into the Melbourne CBD, interspersed with some dry patches, so I wasn't totally soaked.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 am

checked the radar when I got up. could see the rain coming in. set off anyway. went to the group ride meeting spot. only 1 other turned up. with the clouds still looking dodgy we decided on a half riverloop. get to work, have a shower, look out the window - fricken clear skies. oh well.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:04 am

Ride home yesterday was into 30-40 k headwinds..the entire way. Not an issue really, just head down bum up...BUT...I also bonked badly. I thought I might do so even before I left work. Just didnt have enough to eat during the day and I paid for it on the way home. To add to my joy, it was freezing cold. Got home eventually, shattered and scoffed into some food to get me back to normal.

This mornings ride was another brass monkey effort, 1 degree on local bowling club sign. Beautiful clear crsip skies tho. The ride was uneventful except for coming across a 40 000 litr fuel tanker that had rolled at a major intersection. Major traffic rerouting was put in place, but luckily for me I was able to skip on past...a benefit of being on a bike. Obviously the driver took the roundabout at speed and lost it. Not the first time I have seen this type of accident on the roads I ride, a lot of the truck drivers are cowboys and go way to fast through the roundabouts.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:22 am

Hope no-one else was injured through that cowboy trucker's antics. In a fuel truck too. So stupid.

Speaking of stupid with flammables (this should probably be in the MM thread). With love from Russia (not my footage):

And the aftermath (goes for about 7 minutes - you can jump to the multiple explosions by looking for the big orange fireballs in the thumbnails):

I just don't get why people with flammable materials aren't even more careful than careful.

Anyway, nothing nearly as bad on my commutes:

Last night I left work at around 6:30PM and it felt like the city was dead - I pretty much had the road to myself (okay, not that good, but where was the peak hour bumper to bumper traffic?).

This morning the roads were wet so my shoes are now dirty... And the chain I'd just re-lubed and cleaned at lunch yesterday is now dirty again. Typical. The bike felt grainy so I really should go over it tonight with the baby wipes to remove the gunk.

Oh and I almost got squeezed by a tradie ute on Collins just before Elizabeth. Stay in your lane, please! My carpy bike lane isn't big to start off with but when you start cutting corners and inching into my lane when I'm there I start getting concerned.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:12 am

jasonc wrote:checked the radar when I got up. could see the rain coming in. set off anyway. went to the group ride meeting spot. only 1 other turned up. with the clouds still looking dodgy we decided on a half riverloop. get to work, have a shower, look out the window - fricken clear skies. oh well.
It was raining northside early. :o. There is always tomorrow.

I commuted in later. Fine but everything was wet.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:18 am

Comedian wrote:There is always tomorrow.
tomorrow is a different commute. 8)

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:46 am

Nice mild morning, the tide and wind were up so will see if I get home dry ...

Had myself a little douche-baiting mission through the Fiona Stanley site this morning - I know I shouldn't, but temptation got the better of me ... I was coming out of the roundabout and clocked a young bloke in a Subaru revving hard behind me, and close-shaved me like a bat out of hell as I settled back into the bike lane. I guess he was trying to get to the traffic lights first ... well, he failed in that endeavour and got there about fourth or fifth, and the car at the front was still dozing/texting when the light turned green. I saw my chance to really get his goat - by cruising gently down the bike lane to the left of Subaru guy, and then around the corner into the bus lane well ahead of him. Welp, nope, he did not like this :twisted: ... and he came screeching and fishtailing past me again, out of my life forever and enriching Mr Dunlop into the bargain.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Lizzy wrote:Nice mild morning, the tide and wind were up so will see if I get home dry ...

Had myself a little douche-baiting mission through the Fiona Stanley site this morning - I know I shouldn't, but temptation got the better of me ... I was coming out of the roundabout and clocked a young bloke in a Subaru revving hard behind me, and close-shaved me like a bat out of hell as I settled back into the bike lane. I guess he was trying to get to the traffic lights first ... well, he failed in that endeavour and got there about fourth or fifth, and the car at the front was still dozing/texting when the light turned green. I saw my chance to really get his goat - by cruising gently down the bike lane to the left of Subaru guy, and then around the corner into the bus lane well ahead of him. Welp, nope, he did not like this :twisted: ... and he came screeching and fishtailing past me again, out of my life forever and enriching Mr Dunlop into the bargain.
I envy your bravery in putting your life on the line to prove a point like that. :o

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:09 pm

Comedian wrote:I envy your bravery in putting your life on the line to prove a point like that. :o
Well, it was only because I knew I had a whole bus/bike lane to go into out of the corner, certainly would have spared myself the effort if not.

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:42 pm

As if it wasn't bad enough trying to predict what some Melbourne motorists will try next, now we have to contend with an ever-increasing number of Stravapests. One of these idiots overtook me at close range today, swerving into the lane next to me, even though it already had cars in it. What a moron.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:59 am

yesterday afternoon's ride was maaaaahhhhh hadn't eaten all day, tried the coffee sugar rash trick, 3 teaspoons of coffee 3 teaspoons of sugar and a bit of water bit of milk, worked for the first half of my commute, second half was around the 25km/h speed, nearly got passed by one of those sit down bikes :( couldn't have that so pushed on

this morning ride i was running late, didn't leave till 6:30 and have to be at work buy 7 and it's a 45 min ride on a good day. pushed hard this morning, was at av 31 at the 10 k mark so pushed even harder, for the next 10 km's but didnt' have it in me, still better than normal, should run late for work more often :) managed to pass a few peoples at the start of the ride :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:15 am

The last couple of days freezing weather gave way to an awful southerly this morning and some threatening showers that ended up being a couple of spits. Blown all over the trail, fortunately it's only in the first half of the ride where it is a headwind, once I 'rounded the horn' the tailwind blew me along nicely for a bit and got a decent time.

Courteous car passed me with plenty of space, but then took off slow from an intersection and I lost a little speed. Not a moron motorist, but I could have turned the tables with a 'get off the road you're holding me up' spiel.

Still getting back lung capacity, but the legs seem to be pushing me along OK.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 am

crisp clear morning in Brissy. went up coot-tha and took the clearest photo I've ever taken of the city

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:52 am

Yesterday I stocked up on the food...didnt bonk on the way home. Had headwinds but maybe not as bad as the day before, but it was just as cold.

This morning I had a southerly which in the morning is a headwind for me...seems someone thinks I need to work a little harder on my rides. Luckily I missed the rain, outside isnt looking the best at the moment. Am having a great run with the other "competitors" of the road...they have been giving me a lot of space and courtesy, makes the riding that more enjoyable.