Wiggle Hunter Valley Classic

ningnangnong

Wiggle Hunter Valley Classic

Postby ningnangnong » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:04 pm

Was just perusing Wiggle, and noticed they're branching out a bit with their events.
If you're looking for a ride to kick start your Spring the Wiggle Hunter Valley Classic is it. This road ride will take you over the beautiful rolling hills of the Hunter Valley and through the centre of the regions wine country.

Event Name: Wiggle Hunter Valley Classic
Date: 13th October 2013
Location: Mount View Park Carpark, Mount View Road, Cessnock NSW
Max. No. of Riders: 800
Registration Opens: 06:15am
Start Time: 07:00am
Course Options: Epic (170.5km), Classic (117.5km), Fun (38km)
Entry on the Day: Yes, if event has not sold out.(additional $10 surcharge, no Wiggle Discount)
Difficulty Rating: Classic- 6/10
http://www.this link is broken/wiggle-cyclings ... 5km-route/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interested to see how it goes.

greatapoc

Re: Wiggle Hunter Valley Classic

Postby greatapoc » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:38 pm

Looks good I think I'll enter. I've made an attempt at mapping based on the picture in the description but I've got an extra 5km on their numbers.

Fun
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2831842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Standard
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2831628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Epic
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2831687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by greatapoc on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Never having done anything like this - would there be road closures and how long would the back of the pack take to finish - ballpark?

Deleted

Postby Deleted » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks for the maps. The "classic" ride looks of interest. Is this the first year it is being run?

greatapoc

Postby greatapoc » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:32 pm

I believe it is the first year. I can't see it advertised anywhere except hidden away on the Wiggle events page. No idea if it's closed roads.

Deleted

Postby Deleted » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:53 am

I emailed them a couple of nights ago. No reply yet...

timbo

Postby timbo » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Don't expect road closures, at best we can hope for NSW Police co-operation, and having participated in all sorts of day rides, big NSW bike rides etc, where NSW Police help is required, it doesn't take much to get them offside (our own fault, a lot of the time), so be respectful of the NSW Police, and all event officials, and we cyclists can make this a successful event.
It's great that more companies want to be involved in cycling in NSW. Support them.

sminns

Postby sminns » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:35 pm

This one sounds good, plus the Tweed one. Something to work towards

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:14 pm

I'm not normally a cynic and I like to see people being encouraged to aim for something ...but .... I honestly can't see the point of these rides, except for getting riders to pay $60-80 to promote Wiggle on rides anyone can do any time they like.

Or did I miss something? :?
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:27 pm

greatapoc wrote:I believe it is the first year. I can't see it advertised anywhere except hidden away on the Wiggle events page. No idea if it's closed roads.
If you've ever bought anything from Wiggle you will have got an email.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Weeeelll ... you could say much the same thing about any of the 100km and 24hr mtb events that are organised by event promoters such as Self Propelled Enterprises, Rocky Trail Entertainment, and the like.

Especially for us punters who are never going to figure at the pointy end. But who cares? What matters is putting your mates in the hurt box, bragging about lap times, a weekend away with a bunch or several thousand like minded nutters, and last but not least, having something to train for. Oh, and for those who drink, the post-ride beer (or latte if you're a roadie :P )

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Given these are some of my "back streets"...there wont be road closures, too much traffic to do it. Be fully aware that there is a lot of truck traffic along a good portion of these roads, b-doubles and such.I do find the majority of truck drivers are great, they are professional drivers, and will give you space, some dont however. Some of these roads do not have shoulders to ride on either and there is a lot of crap on the shoulders as well. The roads are pretty rough too...good country roads.

In saying that, it covers some very pretty country.

greatapoc

Postby greatapoc » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:38 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
greatapoc wrote:I believe it is the first year. I can't see it advertised anywhere except hidden away on the Wiggle events page. No idea if it's closed roads.
Yeah I'm getting it all the time now but when I first caught it there was nothing in emails.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:45 pm

greatapoc wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:
Yeah I'm getting it all the time now but when I first caught it there was nothing in emails.
And to prove their commercial credentials (or maybe a sponsored link to BNA ?) the word 'Wi##le' in my post now has a hyperlink to their website which I didn't put there, and which I now can't edit out. :evil:

Leethal

Postby Leethal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:06 pm

cyclotaur wrote:I'm not normally a cynic and I like to see people being encouraged to aim for something ...but .... I honestly can't see the point of these rides, except for getting riders to pay $60-80 to promote Wiggle on rides anyone can do any time they like.

I always feel a bit safer on the open roads (from vehicle traffic) knowing there's a bunch of other cyclists out there with me. A pack of cyclists should be more visible than the soloist, and if the event is hosted properly, there'll generally be a bunch of road-signs, marshals and increased police presence to alert any unwary motorists.

Most of the events I've entered in Brisbane are hosted by charities/not for profit organisations, so I do prefer that they get some of my money rather than a company. But at the end of the day if they're not available then I'll gladly enter these.
Road: S-Works Tarmac SL5 eTap
CX: Trek Boone 9, Ultegra mechanical
MTB: Yeti ASRc, XTR Di2

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Leethal wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:I'm not normally a cynic and I like to see people being encouraged to aim for something ...but .... I honestly can't see the point of these rides, except for getting riders to pay $60-80 to promote Wiggle on rides anyone can do any time they like.

I always feel a bit safer on the open roads (from vehicle traffic) knowing there's a bunch of other cyclists out there with me. A pack of cyclists should be more visible than the soloist, and if the event is hosted properly, there'll generally be a bunch of road-signs, marshals and increased police presence to alert any unwary motorists.

Most of the events I've entered in Brisbane are hosted by charities/not for profit organisations, so I do prefer that they get some of my money rather than a company. But at the end of the day if they're not available then I'll gladly enter these.
I see your points, and I too enjoy the benefits of mass rides occasionally, but 'events' don't help to normalise cycling as transport (or even as a sport) that legitimately uses the public roads.

And in contrast to charity fund-raisers, it could be argued that Woggle are being allowed to use a public resource for private gain. There's nothing to stop them partnering or sponsoring an established charity, but I can't see it here.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Leethal wrote:

Still not sure what you get for your $80 that I don't do for free a lot of weekends. $80x800 riders = $64000.00. There would want to be a lot of traffic control for that sort of money.
Cheers
Richard

sminns

Postby sminns » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:46 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Still not sure what you get for your $80 that I don't do for free a lot of weekends. $80x800 riders = $64000.00. There would want to be a lot of traffic control for that sort of money.
Cheers
Richard

800 riders at one event on one day, that's what you get. If you can plan that for free let me know I'm there

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:28 pm

sminns wrote:
WyvernRH wrote: Still not sure what you get for your $80 that I don't do for free a lot of weekends. $80x800 riders = $64000.00. There would want to be a lot of traffic control for that sort of money.
Cheers
Richard
800 riders at one event on one day, that's what you get. If you can plan that for free let me know I'm there
Free no, a lot less than that yes. Tho' it depends what sort of premium your insurers are going to hit you with I suppose. But really, given that there will be Wiggle advertising everywhere, food and sales franchises to be sold, income from the Wiggle goods and parts sales stalls, clothing sales etc etc I reckon they could have sucked it up by quite a lot. This feels like someone in Wiggle-Oz not wanting to make an upfront loss if only say 200-400 riders front up.
Have they involved the local SES/Rotary/Scouts/Cycling Clubs etc or are they just going to dump themselves and some ring-in traffic control on the Hunter? Lots of detail missing.
Richard

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:16 pm

..erm it shouldn't come as too much of a massive surprise to remind you that Wiggle are trying to make a profit in business :shock: .

They'll charge what the market will bear. If 800 riders turn up at that price, there's your answer to the question "why charge that much"
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Interesting turn this thread has taken, they started doing these rides last year in Victoria and I did both of them. They are not run by Wiggle, they have a contract with an Oz company called Limelight Sports who run them on Wiggle's behalf. In the UK I believe these rides sell out, or at least thats what I was told by the girl that they sponsor that rode in the first one, can't remember the name, English chick who does tri's but lives in Sydney, was world champ a few years ago. They ran at a loss last year but the entry fee was half price compared to this year, but they only managed to get 300 riders to each one, there is a lot of competition for these events in Vic. Supersprint do 2 rides and charge $150 to enter each one and Around the Bay in a Day is charging close to $200 this year, so Wiggle's prices are pretty reasonable. For your entry fee you get a timing chip to stick to your seat post, mobile mechanical support and first aid if needed, 2-3 hydration/food stations with High5 stuff and fruit, cakes, lollies, the route is sign-posted and marshalled at most of the turn offs, they also have 1 or 2 motorbike marshalls around the course. The problem in Vic is they stuffed up the first one badly, ran out of drinks and food, no drinks or anything to fill up your bottles at the start line and the course contained a 3.5km climb at 8+% which was too hard for most recreational riders. The grapevine news travels fast so hopefully they have better luck further north because I don't see too many Aussie bike shops doing things like this.

howardyou

Postby howardyou » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:10 am

So is anyone actually planning on doing this ride? I'm still uncertain.

sminns

Postby sminns » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:26 am

howardyou wrote:So is anyone actually planning on doing this ride? I'm still uncertain.
I'm signed up. Interested to see what it's like.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Someone actually put up a decent route of the ride

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2831687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I pointed out earlier, there were some major road works being done on the route and looking at that link I would say it is about the 125 k mark or just past it.

Hopefully the road is fixed before the ride.

EDIT: Looking at that link again, I am surprised on the route they have taken. They go through my little town and the route to Cessnock from the 150 k mark is a little deadly...no shoulder to speak of, single lane either way and rough. If it was me, I would be making a slight detour by turning right on Wilderness road then left onto Wine Country Drive. Wine Country drive is smooth road, nice big shoulder to ride in but does have a bit more traffic...but in my opinion it is safer.

greatapoc

Postby greatapoc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:46 pm

gretaboy wrote:Someone actually put up a decent route of the ride

That would be me. I don't know how accurate it is, I only based it off the image that was in the description on the page but I think it's pretty close.

I'm in for the 122.5km.