Longest run without a puncture

Paul B

Longest run without a puncture

Postby Paul B » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:05 pm

So what is the furthest distance or time (assuming regular riding) you have gone without a puncture ?

lobstermash

Re: Longest run without a puncture

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:23 pm

I'm not game to tempt fate...

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Paul B wrote:So what is the furthest distance or time (assuming regular riding) you have gone without a puncture ?
I agree with lobstermash - you go first ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:51 pm

I don't run much, but I haven't ever had a puncture in a shoe.

Haven't had a flat for ages. Tubeless MTB, tyre liners on commuter. I think The last one was in about march with a catastrophic blowout of tube and tyre while the fixie waited for me outside work shod with its 'free with rims' tyres and tubes.

Guessing ill get up in the morning to find a flat now!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Upto about 6000kms around my crappy rural roads. (touch wood)

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:25 pm

I've done about 4 months now with regular riding on maxis refuse

TCAT

Postby TCAT » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 pm

What's a puncture?

I use Schwalbe Marathon tyres and punctures are a thing of the past. I didn't take down the odometer reading when I purchased my second last Marathon but it may have done 8,000 to 10,000kms before I wore it out without a puncture.

Laidlaym

Postby Laidlaym » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:32 pm

TCAT wrote:What's a puncture?

I use Schwalbe Marathon tyres and punctures are a thing of the past. I didn't take down the odometer reading when I purchased my second last Marathon but it may have done 8,000 to 10,000kms before I wore it out without a puncture.
I got the Maraton plus fitted when I bought the bike, some bindis got me up near Corowa once but if I run them properly inflated there are no puncture.

Mark

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:43 pm

I went over 14,000kms with no punctures on my Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres on the old Sedona MTB, about 4 years of cycling.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

richbee

Postby richbee » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:40 am

Saturday morning last one, before that on the 30th June, and before that three(!!!) on the 9th June - so on average about 3 to four weeks between punctures.

Switching from clinchers to tubeless so will have to see if that makes a difference.

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 am

I've been riding for about 5 years now and I've been super lucky with punctures. I can only think of 2 occasions where I had to fix a puncture on the road. Where as I've had about 7 or 8 where I've pinched the tube while changing tyres over :(

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:22 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
Paul B wrote:So what is the furthest distance or time (assuming regular riding) you have gone without a puncture ?
I agree with lobstermash - you go first ...
The puncture fairy reads these forums... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=60292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:33 pm

I'm not going to say a word about this. :shock: (I shall now send a sacrifice to the god of punctures).

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Just ordered a Marathon Plus.

Put that in your pipe Puncture God!!!

Mark Kelly

Postby Mark Kelly » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:52 pm

bychosis wrote:I don't run much, but I haven't ever had a puncture in a shoe.
I have, I got a flat in my first generation Nike Air shoes in the first couple of weeks. They refused warranty; I've not bought a Nike product since. Back then I wore out 4 pair of training shoes and a pair of racing flats per year.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:58 pm

The puncture fairy reads these forums... http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=60292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Damn you puncture fairy :evil:

Alycat

Postby Alycat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:15 pm

About 12,000kms so far...
Problem with acronyms is one acronym can have several meanings.. so I joined USA, Unique Standard Acronyms which is enforcing one acronym=one meaning.... powerful group, I saw Obama is president...

TCAT

Postby TCAT » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:53 pm

il padrone wrote:I went over 14,000kms with no punctures on my Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres on the old Sedona MTB, about 4 years of cycling.
I am going 'off thread' here bit. I believe you change your tyres from front to back when the back one wears out. Would that be the case with the Vittoria tyre above? My 8 to 10 thousand kms was all done on the back. If you got that all on the back I may have to give them a go.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:49 pm

Sparx wrote:Just ordered a Marathon Plus.

Put that in your pipe Puncture God!!!
:D :D

I was on holiday a month ago in the Northern Territory. Chatted to a Frenchman who had ridden there from Melbourne... "No punctures the whole trip!?", "Let me guess, Marathon Plus?" "Yep!"

Nuf said.

zero

Postby zero » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:57 am

TCAT wrote:
il padrone wrote:I went over 14,000kms with no punctures on my Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres on the old Sedona MTB, about 4 years of cycling.
I am going 'off thread' here bit. I believe you change your tyres from front to back when the back one wears out. Would that be the case with the Vittoria tyre above? My 8 to 10 thousand kms was all done on the back. If you got that all on the back I may have to give them a go.
I did 14,000 on a pair of serfas drifters, the rear wore out at 14,000 - the front is still going - IMO the front will perish before it wears out.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:48 pm

TCAT wrote:
Both tyres lasted until 14,000 kms when I retired them due to some specks of red puncture protection layer showing. They had been swapped arond at about 7-8,000kms when the front was still in excellent comdition and the rear was showing wear but sill had plenty of life. I ended up re-using that old rear (now the front) for a few more thousand kms just recently.

I had similar tyre life from a second pair on the new Thorn - they lasted for 2 years of riding, doing 14,000kms. The tyres again had no penetration punctures in that time.
Mandatory helmet law?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:39 pm

il padrone wrote:
TCAT wrote:
Both tyres lasted until 14,000 kms when I retired them due to some specks of red puncture protection layer showing. They had been swapped arond at about 7-8,000kms when the front was still in excellent comdition and the rear was showing wear but sill had plenty of life. I ended up re-using that old rear (now the front) for a few more thousand kms just recently.

I had similar tyre life from a second pair on the new Thorn - they lasted for 2 years of riding, doing 14,000kms. The tyres again had no penetration punctures in that time.
I got less than 2000km out of a pair on my tandem. I guess the extra load wasn't good for them...

I'm hoping for better out of the replacements since that bike no longer has to do race duty and my 3YO doesn't stress the tyres much.

Cheers,

Cameron

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:42 pm

ironhanglider wrote:I got less than 2000km out of a pair on my tandem. I guess the extra load wasn't good for them...
Hmm.... 26x1.75, or the 700C version ? I think the 26x1.75 give a beefier tread and maybe better life. A number of friends of mine are using the same tyres now and are certainly having the same experience with punctures - no penetrations :D

Re the much-lauded Marathon Plus, they are as good as the Vittorias, but weigh about 40-50% more. My choice is easy.
Mandatory helmet law?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:01 pm

il padrone wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:I got less than 2000km out of a pair on my tandem. I guess the extra load wasn't good for them...
Hmm.... 26x1.75, or the 700C version ? I think the 26x1.75 give a beefier tread and maybe better life.
700c - 28. They felt terrible in the corners on narrow rims at less than 100psi, the noise at steep cornering angles didn't inspire confidence either. I even had a puncture too, (a 3" nail which would have gone through anything).

They weren't the right tyres for the job I ended up wanting them to do at the time.

Since the bike is now only a commuter, when my current tyres wear out I'll probably put a similar tyre with a slicker tread back on though.

Cheers,

Cameron

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:12 pm

ironhanglider wrote:700c - 28. They felt terrible in the corners on narrow rims at less than 100psi, the noise at steep cornering angles didn't inspire confidence either. I even had a puncture too, (a 3" nail which would have gone through anything).

They weren't the right tyres for the job I ended up wanting them to do at the time.
+1

My tandem runs the 700C x 35 tyres and it's fine, but I would not like to use any narrower than a 32mm tyre on it. Tandems simply demand the extra tyre width because of the extra weight on-board.
Mandatory helmet law?