Entry Carbon Road Bike opinion on these two..

andione1983

Re: Entry Carbon Road Bike opinion on these two..

Postby andione1983 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:50 pm

BrisVegas wrote:I'd be looking at something a bit nicer, even if it means cheaper components and wheels for now. The bike you're on wouldn't be a whole lot different to the entry level stuff you're considering.

Grab a CAAD10 or a Cervelo or a Colnago or something a bit special, anything really and build it up over time with choice bits.

I was looking at stuff in the $2k range a little while back. Scott Foil, Avanti Corsa, Giant TCR etc etc. the usual suspects.I started a thread on it, like many do and agonised over the pros and cons, but ultimately I couldn't get excited about the stuff I was looking at. Me personally, I went with a second hand bike that was much dearer when new and I'll get some flash wheels for it as funds arrive. The important thing is I have a bike I LOVE riding and that helps drag my fat arse out there when it's cold and dark.

Good luck with the shopping.
That's for the positive comments... I'm going to listen to antipodean and sticky mine out till end of year my goal is to bad at least 2k to it... I'f I'm still loving riding then I'll consider and upgrade to a carbon bike. . Thanks for the positive and negative comments.. I am used to it from other forums... I have come from RC helicopters and my gosh.... You should see the $$$$$ flung around those forums... Thats where my money has come across from,,,, ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
Road Bike - Giant Advanced Defy 2 (2018)
MTB - Boardman Team Pro (2013)

thejester

Postby thejester » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:28 am

I think Merida make really cool looking bikes, but the Oppy IS value.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

ITGeek

Postby ITGeek » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Im looking at the same two bike also but also thrown in a Merida Sucltura 905 into the mix!
Takingthe Oppy C6 for a test ride tomorrow
No matter what i get it will be better than my current ride which i still love by the way 2001 GT ZR 2.0

andione1983

Postby andione1983 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:08 am

My other hobby is RC helis... Man don't get me started on how expensive that hobby is... And addictive...
I have 5 helis atm each worth between 800$-2000$each..
I know blokes with way more than me and some worth 4k+each

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
Road Bike - Giant Advanced Defy 2 (2018)
MTB - Boardman Team Pro (2013)

ITGeek

Postby ITGeek » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Took both out today for a ride. Both Great but the Merida 905 just has the extra polish in finish of the frame. i know its picky but the internal cabling routing is so much cleaner on the merida. With the oppy the cables run straight into the frame with no rubber seal to stop water penetrating. God for the sake of 5 cents MS!
Brakes on the Oppy crapped all over the Merida Brakes though. BikeForce would change the brakes to 105 for $45 so Cant complain
Oppy Super Value just dotn like the paintwork finish, paint lines not clean and rough finish
I love the colour of the 904 blue/white but it has the 105/mavic compared to the 905 red frame with ultegra/fulcrum and they gave me a great price on the scultura 905
Have to sleep on it tonight !