New Lanes M2 Westbound Delhi Rd - Pennant Hills Rd

AK900

New Lanes M2 Westbound Delhi Rd - Pennant Hills Rd

Postby AK900 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:16 am

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum but have been negotiating the M2 detours for what seems to be a very long time.

Noticed coming home from the airport last night that the roadworks and cycle lane between Delhi Rd and Pennant Hills road appear to be complete.

I know that some regular commuters have rejoined the M2 at Pennant Hills Rd without any issues.

Thinking of jumping on to the M2 this evening and want to know if anyone has cycled westbound between Delhi Rd and Pennant Hills Rd yet?

rogan

Re: New Lanes M2 Westbound Delhi Rd - Pennant Hills Rd

Postby rogan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Not sure if it's legal yet. But at least Beecroft Rd to Pennant Hills Rd is being ridden by the odd cyclist. I wouldn't recommend trying further east, there are still roadworks there.

AK900

Postby AK900 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Not sure if legal either but I did ride from Delhi Rd on ramp to Pennant Hills Rd.

The breakdown lane is surfaced, marked and clear.

There are no more roadworks east bound from what I saw with the exception of some additional surfacing that may or may not be done where the old toll gates used to be. The breakdown lane is surfaced and marked in this area.

Cut 25 minutes off my commute home and without the stress of being on road.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:05 am

AK900 wrote:Not sure if legal either but I did ride from Delhi Rd on ramp to Pennant Hills Rd.

The breakdown lane is surfaced, marked and clear.

There are no more roadworks east bound from what I saw with the exception of some additional surfacing that may or may not be done where the old toll gates used to be. The breakdown lane is surfaced and marked in this area.

Cut 25 minutes off my commute home and without the stress of being on road.
How was the Norfolk Tunnel? Is that all done now?
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AK900

Postby AK900 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:32 am

How was the Norfolk Tunnel? Is that all done now?[/quote]

The Epping tunnel is all done, new surface and line work. The cycle lane does not feel as tight as it did originally.

Last night I jumped on at Beecroft Rd and was happy to just avoid Beecroft Rd and Pennant Hills Rd.

I noticed yesterday whilst driving out to a customer that they have sprayed the bicycle logo on the parts of the breakdown lane between Delhi and the toll gates.

Cannot be long now before we are officially back on there.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:38 am

AK900 wrote:How was the Norfolk Tunnel? Is that all done now?
The Epping tunnel is all done, new surface and line work. The cycle lane does not feel as tight as it did originally.

Last night I jumped on at Beecroft Rd and was happy to just avoid Beecroft Rd and Pennant Hills Rd.

I noticed yesterday whilst driving out to a customer that they have sprayed the bicycle logo on the parts of the breakdown lane between Delhi and the toll gates.

Cannot be long now before we are officially back on there.[/quote]

Excellent. I want to see what time I can knock off my daily commute from Dural to Nth Sydney. Only downside is that Eastbound from Lane Cove Rd to Delhi Rd will be blocked to cyclists while they upgrade that to three lanes, so I won't be able to use the M2 in the morning. Will be nice getting home quicker though!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:24 pm

Looks like cyclist access to the westbound breakdown lane should commence Monday 28 July. Bad news for eastbound access however.

Hills M2 Upgrade completion due early August
26 July 2013
The third westbound lane from Delhi Road to Pennant Hills Road with a 100km/h speed limit, including through the Norfolk Tunnel, will be open to motorists on Monday, 28 July, marking the completion of upgrade work on the westbound lanes.

“The opening of the third westbound lane in its final arrangement from Delhi Road, North Ryde, and Pennant Hills Road at Carlingford, including signposting to 100km/h, will provide motorists with a better run home in the afternoon peak,” project spokesperson, Juliana Stackpool, said.

“Final work on the citybound lanes between the tunnel and main toll plaza is continuing.”

When complete in early August, three citybound lanes will also open between Windsor Road and Lane Cove Road with a 100km/h speed limit between Windsor Road and Terrys Creek Bridge, North Epping.

The citybound speed limit from Terrys Creek Bridge to Delhi Road will be 80km/h while additional maintenance work is carried out to strengthen the motorway embankment at Marsfield. Work to build the new eastbound Lane Cove Road on ramp will also start in September.

The breakdown lane on both sides of the motorway will reopen except for a short section eastbound at Marsfield. This lane will be used to create a safe working space while work is carried out to strengthen the embankment which is expected to take around 20 months.

The citybound T2 lane from the Norfolk Tunnel to Lane Cove Road will not open until the embankment maintenance at Marsfield is complete.

Cyclists will have full access to the westbound breakdown lane at the completion of final work.

Citybound access will be limited to Pennant Hills Road where cyclists will have to exit the motorway and join the alternative cycle route until the embankment maintenance and Lane Cove Road on ramp is finalised.

“The Hills M2 Upgrade has been the largest project carried out on an operational motorway in Sydney,” Ms Stackpool said.

“When complete in early August the Hills M2 will provide motorists travelling to and from Sydney’s North West with less congestion and more reliable travel times.

“The toll at the main toll plaza will be $6.05 for cars and motorcycles and $18.15 for large vehicles on completion. This is the first increase for cars since 2009 and only the second increase since 2006.

“The project team appreciates the patience the public has shown while upgrade work was carried out.”

http://www.hillsm2.com.au/news.htm

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Say What? So, eastbound we are excluded for another 2 years?????

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:17 pm

queequeg wrote:WT?? So, eastbound we are excluded for another 2 years?????
That is correct.

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:50 pm

What are they doing at Marsfield that would take 20 months? :roll:

I accept getting off at or before Lane Cove Rd for what will be new major works that aren't part of the upgrade, but Marsfield?

It was a requirement of the upgrade project that cyclists be given full access within 3 months of completion. I hope Transurban isn't just finding a convenient excuse to shaft cyclists...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:56 pm

rogan wrote:What are they doing at Marsfield that would take 20 months? :roll:

I accept getting off at or before Lane Cove Rd for what will be new major works that aren't part of the upgrade, but Marsfield?

It was a requirement of the upgrade project that cyclists be given full access within 3 months of completion. I hope Transurban isn't just finding a convenient excuse to shaft cyclists...
Sounds to me like there was a major stuff up with the upgrade works that now requires corrective action.
Unless the blockage is before browns waterhole, I can't see why they can't open eastbound as far the exit prior, which could be browns waterhole or Christie rd.
With the F3 to M2 tunnel going ahead as well, don't be surprised to see cyclists excluded again for that too!

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:03 pm

A consolation, I can now ride from North Ryde to M7 via M2 on weekends. Just need to figure out my way back.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:08 pm

rogan wrote:What are they doing at Marsfield that would take 20 months? :roll:

East bound access is being restricted due to commencement of Lane Cove Rd to Delhi Rd widening and on ramp construction, and bank stabilisation works which are required on the north side of the motorway between Terry's Creek and Vimera Rd.

The duration of the access restrictions is considerable. The Lane Cove Road to Delhi Road construction will take 12 months. The embankment stabilisation works are expected to take nearly 2 years. In both these locations the road shoulder will be totally inaccessible with barriers installed to segregate construction zones.

Transurban did consider allowing eastbound access as far as Beecroft Rd but the need for the ramp shoulder to be used as a contra-flow exit is unacceptably dangerous.

The Lane Cove Rd ramp area will be completed about 12 months before the embankment works. Transurban expect eastbound access for cyclists can be restored from Christie Rd when the Lane Cove Rd construction is completed. This would provide broken eastbound access for the remaining 12 months required to finish the embankment stabilisation.

AK900

Postby AK900 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:33 pm

$6.00 toll each way is more reason to maintain the cycling!

I'm not fussed over the East bound trip being delayed as the cycle into work is a "net" downhill run. I have been struggling some evenings getting home via the detour because of the constant elevation changes and the stress of trying to cycle up Beecroft Rd and Pennant Hills Rd.

The trip home on Wednesday night cut almost 30 minutes of my regular cycling time home so will be happy for west bound only at this stage!

nathanj

Postby nathanj » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Really disappointed to see the news about citybound restrictions.

Has anyone else noticed inconsistent information about other restrictions? http://www.hillsm2upgrade.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says cycling access will be permitted to\from Windsor rd however http://www.hillsm2.com.au/58.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says the westbound shoulder will "fully" reopen. I am hoping there are no restrictions as I plan on using it from Old Windsor. Does anyone know anything more about this?