The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jasonc

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Had an interesting one this morning:
had just started on the go between bridge and there was a runner in front of me. for those who don't know, cyclists only on the west side of the bridge and pedestrians on the east side of the bridge. so I had time so I thought I'd just remind the runner that he should be on the other side. His response "but this side doesn't have steps" :roll:

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:50 pm

I agree with him on the steps sentiment... but the other side has a handicap ramp (so you can avoid the steps)... which i have seen cyclists use, i assume because they don't realise the different sides of the bridge are cyclist/ped. Also i like how someone has spraypainted a pink circle on the ground around the cycle markings there.

On a similar note when i was entering the veloway a couple were starting to walk up it, i pointed out it was a cycleway and their reaction indicated they didn't realise (fair enough), and on exiting at the steep downhill part another couple had just started walking up, i said "cyclepath" while i was going past and their reaction indicated they didn't seem to realise either, it made me think is the fact that "dedicated cycle paths" are an actual thing something that people think about.. most people probably just see a path and think "i'll go that way" not realising that bikes might be flying around blind corners at 40k on the path.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:16 pm

30 second mark here to skip downhill:

Cyclist riding downhill at speed does not want to give way at crossing behind us other cyclists.
So he barges through the pedestrians via the oncoming lane.
He almost hits one and swerves around but then nearly clip stacks heading towards the median/island curb and un-clips before dodging back into the oncoming path and turning away on the side street.
There is a back street road option from the top of the hill he could have used to take the side street, but, I don’t think his bearings or spacial awareness or decision making skills are good enough to realise that =P

https://vimeo.com/70760518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by eldavo on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Tricky one this but I've put it here as the driver became a ped.
In the Red Hill area and was passed by a ute. No dramas, gave plenty of room to pass me wide. (maybe he saw the flashing Go-Pro on the back of the bike)
Not a few hundred metres down the road I see his ute pulled over. Coming up to pass him at about 45kph he opens his door and proceeds to walk across the road. No check, nothing.
Good thing I wasn't being tailed by a car or truck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJICbpb ... hxdyNpNhaQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:32 pm

Time to invest in another gopro bianchi :D

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Me today...

Stopped at red lights on a hill with traffic queued behind me. Lights for the other road go red, I count to 2, and jump the light by 1 second to get rolling. I don't normally do this, mind - it was just because it was on a steep hill. Anyway, I haven't dealt with these lights very often before and it turns out they stay red for a long time to allow a side road 30 meters further up to get a clear run :oops:

I made sure it looked like I'd made a mistake rather than deliberately running the red, slumped in shame and shook my head at myself :roll:

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:29 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:Time to invest in another gopro bianchi :D
yep, you need a front facing cam now
2010 BMC SLC01

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:43 pm

I do indeedy. Just waiting for my tax return!

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:37 pm

I won't say dumb cyclist, but he was rude... I waited until the opposite lane was clear before overtaking a cyclist in front of Melrose High. He told me I should let him know when I needed to pass. I mumbled a 'no worries' and kept going. A little further on I thought I could hear something behind me, then looking behind before overtaking another cyclist, I get a shock to see him drafting me. He stayed on me the whole way up the hill until I crossed Sulwood Dve. Mate, if you read this, I expect you to return the favour next time there's a southerly to push into.

PS, in my experience, letting kitted out cyclists know you want to pass is usually taken as a challenge and often does not result in said 'pass'...

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:03 am

Motorists were good this morning. Can't say the same for this impatient douche.

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:29 am

lobstermash wrote:I won't say dumb cyclist, but he was rude... I waited until the opposite lane was clear before overtaking a cyclist in front of Melrose High. He told me I should let him know when I needed to pass. I mumbled a 'no worries' and kept going. A little further on I thought I could hear something behind me, then looking behind before overtaking another cyclist, I get a shock to see him drafting me. He stayed on me the whole way up the hill until I crossed Sulwood Dve. Mate, if you read this, I expect you to return the favour next time there's a southerly to push into.

PS, in my experience, letting kitted out cyclists know you want to pass is usually taken as a challenge and often does not result in said 'pass'...
commuter cup racing? :lol:

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:43 am

Not my intention, but yep, seems so. Was half expecting him to zip past me at the top of the hill, but I still had a bit left in the tank. When I was going to overtake him he looked tired, but obviously he didn't like being passed by a plain clothes on a Reid...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:53 am

Maybe he just thought, oops, I'm holding you up - and helpfully offered to go faster for you? ;)

You should have been able to keep up, surely? :P

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:59 am

Oh, no, he never overtook me. He drafted me the whole way up the hill into a headwind until I lost him somewhere on the way down.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:32 pm

lobstermash wrote:Oh, no, he never overtook me. He drafted me the whole way up the hill into a headwind until I lost him somewhere on the way down.
That's the way! 8)

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:36 pm

g-boaf wrote:
lobstermash wrote:Oh, no, he never overtook me. He drafted me the whole way up the hill into a headwind until I lost him somewhere on the way down.
That's the way! 8)
Moral victory & CCR victory. Boy am I in for it if he reads this forum and I come across him again...

PS I wasn't looking for a race, or I'd have let him know I was passing...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:48 pm

lobstermash wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
That's the way! 8)
Moral victory & CCR victory. Boy am I in for it if he reads this forum and I come across him again...

PS I wasn't looking for a race, or I'd have let him know I was passing...
You should have returned the comment: you should let me know who you are drafting.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm always wary of people in ordinary clothes on average bikes. You never know who might be an A Grader in disguise.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:54 pm

g-boaf wrote:I'm always wary of people in ordinary clothes on average bikes. You never know who might be an A Grader in disguise.
Haha, certainly doesn't describe me!

I wish I'd have thought up something clever, but riding to and from work is my blank mind time. I spend all day being witty ;) *in my own mind*

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:13 pm

g-boaf wrote:I'm always wary of people in ordinary clothes on average bikes. You never know who might be an A Grader in disguise.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Runs to and from the fish and chip shop are always amusing in the arvo for me when someone dressed in formal work clothes comes flying past pedalling like their life was in danger only for me to put on my race face, adjust the ray bans and go roaring up the hill not far from the shop :lol: :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Aha! Guilty as charged! :lol:

AP81

Postby AP81 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Had a drunk man the other day walk out from behind a parked car into the bike lane at 8.30am. With about a car's length noticed, grabbed both front and rear, almost locked, hit him at about 5km/h (was probably travelling in the low 30's).
We exchanged words and went on our way.

I also find it amusing that there is always some joker that has a burning desire to overtake road-racers. Most of these idiots barely ride more than a few blocks, but put the hammer down to prove some kind of idiotic point.
I saw a hipster pull into the car lane to overtake a roadie...he didn't look whilst pulling out and almost got cleaned up by a bull-bar.
Steel - is - real

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:14 pm

That's why we roadies return serve as if we were at a local crit circuit no matter what type of bike we're on :P

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:28 pm

AP81 wrote:...I also find it amusing that there is always some joker that has a burning desire to overtake road-racers. Most of these idiots barely ride more than a few blocks, but put the hammer down to prove some kind of idiotic point...
Maybe they are just having fun, I still remember when riding a bike was all about fun. :roll:
Too old to live, too slow to die.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:05 am

Angry pedestrian took offense to me passing too close, almost went back for a chat but i was on a strava run.