You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

bog1953

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby bog1953 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Early !980's Viner Professional.Shimano 600 Tri color group set, 55cc top tube. This is first bike I bought that started me collecting bikes. I bought this about 5yrs ago at an auction. It was dirty and the tires were perished. After a wash it was immaculate, the group set showed no sign of ware, I think it had been ridden a few times and stored. This is my favorite bike, I don't know why but it rides better than any thing I've ridden.It doesn't show in the photos how good it is.

seddo

Postby seddo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:59 am

nicely colour co-ordinated, like to see more of your collection

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:47 am

bog1953 wrote:It doesn't show in the photos how good it is.
Must be amazing in the flesh cos those photos look good :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Late 80's - early 90's Pinarello. SL tubing 57 cc top tube. Running Shimano 600 Tri Color group set . Nice ride.

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Guerciotti with racing history. Number tag under top tube. 56cc top tube, SLX tubing. Running Shimano 600 tri color group set. Yes I do realize that the bar tape is garish, it was a good idea at the time. Waiting for it to soil so that I can replace it and add a Guerciotti panto stem I have,

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Francesco Moser. I call it Tutti Frutti color. 55cc top tube, running Shimano 600 tri color group set. Non aero brake levers which I quite like. Imported frame from the Netherlands and built it up myself. Moser was famous for his 50.8 klms in an hour, which stood for years as he used a revolutionary bike which others didn't have. They changed the rules, banning high tech bikes.

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:18 pm

I am sick with envy! Nice collection, so far. I've a feeling you're building up towards a big finish.

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Another Viner. 56cc top tube, running shimano 600 Tri color, except for shifters which are RSX.

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:33 pm

That will do for posting of my bikes for now. It takes so long. I've done the bikes I use the most, as you can tell I have a preference for Shimano group sets and Italian frames. Later in the year I'll post pictures of Campy bikes, mostly Italian some not, some quite rare brands. It's time that I let others post their bikes. It's not a competition of who's got the best or most bikes. I love seeing other people's bikes.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:16 pm

They're all terrible. Not ONE over 59cm! 8)

Jim

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:33 pm

They're all very desirable bog1953, great collection. I have no stand-out favourite so far as they all have their own particular charm. Very nice setting for the photographs too. I look forward to the future 'all Italian' instalments.

adam_b83

Postby adam_b83 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:04 pm

nice bikes for sure, especially the red viner. one came up on ebay not long ago and i was so so close to buying it. such a nice colour scheme.
just my opinion but i think that some tan/gum wall tyres would suit the vintage steel frames instead of the more contemporary coloured tyres.
also look forward to seeing the rest of the collection!

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:30 pm

I now feel as though I got to produce some climatic ending by showing some unbelievable bike. I'm sorry but my collection of bikes isn't about that. I bought some wheels off a forum member, when I collected them he showed me his Colnago. I told him that it was nice, but that I wasn't to keen on them as they made in excess of 10,000 a year. you can find a Colnago every day of the week on Ebay. His reply was "look at the paint job"!He then got his Eddy Merckx. It was a single color, now that was a bike. To me its not the fancy colors or the over the top embellishments, its how they ride that counts. Bikes aren't wall hangers. Ive seen some amazing looking bikes especially those made for shows or exhibitions,with amazing paint and gold plated group sets. I don't recall ever seeing Merckx, Coppi, Moser or any one in the tours riding a bike with a gold plated group set.I still have another !6 bikes I'll post pictures of ..... Tommasini super prestige, Paletti , Wilier triestina, Zullo, Bottecchia Torpado, Eddy Merckx.......... By the way before I totally offend Colnago owners, I haven't got one yet, but I intend to get one .

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:35 pm

bog1953 wrote:.......... By the way before I totally offend Colnago owners, I haven't got one yet, but I intend to get one .
here is your chance

seddo

Postby seddo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:06 pm

magnificent collection, cant wait to see the rest

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:51 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
bog1953 wrote:.......... By the way before I totally offend Colnago owners, I haven't got one yet, but I intend to get one .
here is your chance
Or this one!

Seems legit... ;-)

tim

munga

Postby munga » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:11 am

barefoot wrote:
Clydesdale Scot wrote:
here is your chance
Or this one!

Seems legit... ;-)

tim
sent that turkey a message the first day it was listed. no response. dodgy.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Finally finished my Guerciotti, took a few quick shots after completion, hoping for good weather this weekend so I can take some outside:
Basicaly I was trying to create the bike I always wanted (but could never afford) back when I was racing in the early 90's - Italian frame, Italian ensemble, etc.
Frame: Guerciotti Record (just like the one Dan was trying to sell, I got this about a week before his ad appeared!)
Grouppo: full Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed
Stem: Cinelli quill
Handlebars: Cinelli Giro D'Italia
Tape: Cinelli Cork Ribbon
Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo
Wheels: Ambrosio Nemesis tubular rims, laced 3X to Ambrosio hubs (actually made by Novatech, look like a copy of old Campagnolo hubs)
Tyres: Vittoria Corsa tubular
Frame prep (tap and face BB, align derailler hanger) and wheel build by Jimmy at Bikeology, all other assembly by yours truly.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Nicely done DavidI

lloyd83

Postby lloyd83 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:14 pm

+1

If you don't mind, how much did the wheel build set you back? I'm considering it myself.
1972 LeJeune World Champion - Nuovo Record
1980's Hendry custom built - Tricolour 600
1995 Serotta Legend Ti - SRAM Red

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:28 pm

kudos on a great looking build, look forward to outdoor shots to do it some justice!

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:18 pm

lloyd83 wrote:+1

If you don't mind, how much did the wheel build set you back? I'm considering it myself.
Rims were about £70 each
front hub £19
rear hub £41
total was just under £230 including postage, about $AU370 depending on the exchange rate on the day. I ordered from Total Cycling, took about a week for order to arrive.
The hubs are very impressive, very smooth and very low friction.
Jimmy charges $75 labour per wheel, plus $2 per spoke, could probaby save buying spokes overseas but I was happy to pay for his expertise as he could select the appropriate spoke length instead of me trying to guess it! He's based here in Brisbane but from what I've seen his prices are pretty much in line with what others charge elsewhere.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:27 pm

lloyd83, you can try XLR8. They build this nice wheelset for me and they are based here in Australia. Josh is a really nice guy too!

Here is the link to their website:http://xlr8wheels.com.au/

lloyd83

Postby lloyd83 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:33 pm

rheicel wrote:lloyd83, you can try XLR8. They build this nice wheelset for me and they are based here in Australia. Josh is a really nice guy too!

Here is the link to their website:http://xlr8wheels.com.au/

Haha, I like the thought of 'clinchulars'!

How much did that set you back and I agree on the limited range of silver wheelsets about.
1972 LeJeune World Champion - Nuovo Record
1980's Hendry custom built - Tricolour 600
1995 Serotta Legend Ti - SRAM Red

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:24 pm

lloyd83 wrote:Haha, I like the thought of 'clinchulars'!

How much did that set you back and I agree on the limited range of silver wheelsets about.
I paid $415 all up, including rim tapes and shipping to Sydney! Given the fact that shiny hubs and silver rims are hard to find these days, I am very happy with the build.
The hubs are Race-like quality, they are smooth and light. 32 double butted spokes with velocity rims for toughness. Total weight is about 1800 grams for the set. I want to put up some review but apparently I am not a technical writer, :lol:
Turn-around time is pretty quick as well. XLR8 will also give you some sort of target weight before they build the wheels. They will give you at least 3 options when they quote you, specifying pros and cons, etc. The amount of time they have wasted in answering my email is also enormous - I felt that they are just dedicated to cycling.

Please note that I am not connected to XLR8. I have done research including an option to build the wheels myself and XLR8 price ended up to be the best option. Sure, you can buy cheaper wheelset everywhere but there will always be a compromise as cheaper wheels seems to cut cost on some parts to reduce the cost of production.

Plus, I can now claim that my wheels are assembled in Australia which is a big bonus!