What to bring

sjdonne

What to bring

Postby sjdonne » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:21 pm

I have always ridden mtb and now have a road bike, I would like to know what to take along with me in the way of tools and spares, not nutrician, for solo rides up to 100klm

bychosis

Re: What to bring

Postby bychosis » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:36 pm

I'd say same, but different. Multi tool for adjustments not breakages, pump suitable for high pressures not volume, tubes for road bike not MTB, phone to call your 'taxi'.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:57 am

2 tubes and a pump. it isn't hard to rip off a road tyre without leavers.
I never carry tools. If your bike is maintained and tuned it shouldn't throw out.
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:09 am

In my tool kit. A Lezyne pump, a Lezyne patch kit, and a Leyzne multi-tool. Oh, and a tube.
Disclaimer: I have no shares in Lezyne (wish I did though).
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

sjdonne

Postby sjdonne » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:16 am

thanks for the info fellas! whats the go with CO2, would you say a hand pump is better?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:01 pm

sjdonne wrote:thanks for the info fellas! whats the go with CO2, would you say a hand pump is better?
CO2 only for racers and lazy polluters.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:44 pm

2 tubes, 1 lever, CO2 (I'm lazy), multitool, $5 note, patches, phone, ID, spare chain link.

Substitute the $5 for a $20 if you want coffee and food.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:24 pm

Spare tube, 2 x CO2 cylinders and inflator, 2 x tyre levers, phone, wallet, cash, 2 x water bottles.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:28 pm

I'd add a couple of bananas to the list as well

Pump vs CO2 - CO2 is one use only per cyclinder where as a pump is as many uses as you need. Pump is a bit more heavier/bulkier.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Mobile phone to take photos or for emergency calls (in a ziplock bag to protect it from sweat, learnt that the hard way!)

2 spare tubes and levers (sure "real men" don't need to use levers but it's not like a little bit of plastic is going to weigh you down :roll: )

If it's a decent length ride, a bar, gel and some cash, running out of go isn't fun.

And a mini pump. Obviously there are plenty of frame mounting brackets for pumps but I don't use them after a pump came out of it's bracket over a bump and got mangled in my rear wheel, just stick it up the leg of your knicks, it won't go anywhere.

I would recommend against using a saddle bag to hold this stuff too, unless you tie the zipper closed (learnt that lesson the hard way too).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:51 pm

The new Topeak roadie saddle bags are a lot more secure than they used to be. I've been using one on my commute scoot for a couple of years and it's been pretty good.

But then they don;t look particularly "pro" :lol:

For me, pump, tube, patch kit, multitool with chainbreaker, rear blinky light (even if daytime) and CO2 if on a group ride so I don;t waste everybody's time. Sure, if your bike is properly maintained it should be fine, but some other goose on the ride is bound to be less diligent. And as I'm still setting mine up to get it fully comfortable, I still need to tweak things occasionally.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:06 pm

trailgumby wrote: But then they don;t look particularly "pro" :lol:
Nothing like rolling up to the start of a charity ride and seeing a sea of Zipps and saddle bags :lol:

sjdonne

Postby sjdonne » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:02 pm

so thats 2 tubes, a CO2 set up when i feel lazy, a hand pump (preferable Lezyne), large qtys of money, a phone company, a small supermarket and a bicycle shop. I AM joking, thankyou everybody for your time and comments and enjoy your life "behind bars"

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:34 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Mobile phone to take photos or for emergency calls (in a ziplock bag to protect it from sweat, learnt that the hard way!)

2 spare tubes and levers (sure "real men" don't need to use levers but it's not like a little bit of plastic is going to weigh you down :roll: )

If it's a decent length ride, a bar, gel and some cash, running out of go isn't fun.

And a mini pump. Obviously there are plenty of frame mounting brackets for pumps but I don't use them after a pump came out of it's bracket over a bump and got mangled in my rear wheel, just stick it up the leg of your knicks, it won't go anywhere.

I would recommend against using a saddle bag to hold this stuff too, unless you tie the zipper closed (learnt that lesson the hard way too).
Wow you have some bad luck! :o

I rarely use a ziplock bag for my phone, just put it in rear jersey pocket and have been caught in storms and it escaped unharmed. Have been doing so for probably 5 years or more.

I have a frame pump attached to my bike, never ever had it jump out of the bracket. Mostly I've owned a Topeak Road Morph but have a different from standard mounting bracket for it that has a velcro strap that wraps around it and stops it falling off. I now have a different pump, can't recall the brand/name but it's a long skinny one and has a standard plastic mount that holds the body of the pump and a rubber strap that goes around the pump and attaches to the mount as a secondary holder. The one time for some reason I put it in my rear jersey pocket was when it did fall out onto the road.

Had various mode lsaddle bags over the years and NEVER had the zip fail on one. Had the odd strap break or hole wear in it from rubbing on a seat bolt but never lost a bag or anything from inside one.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:58 pm

sjdonne wrote:so thats 2 tubes, a CO2 set up when i feel lazy, a hand pump (preferable Lezyne), large qtys of money, a phone company, a small supermarket and a bicycle shop. I AM joking, thankyou everybody for your time and comments and enjoy your life "behind bars"
Yeah - I'll bet you never knew that bananas are considered tools and not nutrition. But I dunno what their purpose is - maybe you could use the skins as tyre liners. :roll: :) :) :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Ross wrote:
I have a frame pump attached to my bike, never ever had it jump out of the bracket. Mostly I've owned a Topeak Road Morph but have a different from standard mounting bracket for it that has a velcro strap that wraps around it and stops it falling off. I now have a different pump, can't recall the brand/name but it's a long skinny one and has a standard plastic mount that holds the body of the pump and a rubber strap that goes around the pump and attaches to the mount as a secondary holder.

Had various mode lsaddle bags over the years and NEVER had the zip fail on one. Had the odd strap break or hole wear in it from rubbing on a seat bolt but never lost a bag or anything from inside one.
The pump I lost was a Lezyne one (great quality) and it had a Velcro strap! Which makes it all the more bizarre that it fell out.

The saddlebag incident was on my first MTB race, some super rough trails and steep climbs, I hopped off to walk one of the climbs and noticed the bag was open. And empty :( . Luckily I didn't need any of the things I lost that day.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:06 pm

CO2 canisters are useful - much faster than a mini pump. I do take two spare tubes along with me as well.

I also take a couple of small tyre levers, they weigh nothing much. I do use a larger saddle bag. Not very pro looking, but better to take extra bits needed given amount of glass around my area.

I will get a multi-tool shortly after my Sunday ride was really not so great due to my old bike not shifting right. If I had a screw driver I'd have fixed the front derailleur in moments.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Worth checking out the Scicon saddle bases as they have the leavers built in.

As for pumps on big rides I stick to just a CO2 inflation.

Keep the pump for commuting

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Depends on the length of ride. For shorter runs < 40km's, most times I carry a tool can with pump, a tube, some patches and a pair'o levers.

When I need the other bottle, I empty the can into a case that neatly fits all items and sits snug a jersey pocket. Ziplock bag for phone/ID/cash & keys.

I'll going to add a 4mm & 5mm Allen Key for those times something freak happens, cos one day hindsight will be a b*tch.

One last thing - Get yourself a Wipperman Connex chain link. Best $15 you'll ever spend because if the chain needs removing your not up the creek without a paddle. Lasts forever too.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 am

Lachy, i've seen your stuff your mini-pump up the outside leg of your knicks, and wonder how your leg would feel if you fell on it. Unlikely, I know, coz you rarely fall of your bike, but I still think frame pump ftw!

munga

Postby munga » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 am

Lachy, i've seen your stuff your mini-pump up the outside leg of your knicks, and wonder how your leg would feel if you fell on it. Unlikely, I know, coz you rarely fall of your bike, but I still think frame pump ftw!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:22 am

munga wrote:Lachy, i've seen you stuff your mini-pump up the outside leg of your knicks, and wonder how your leg would feel if you fell on it. Unlikely, I know, coz you rarely fall off your bike, but I still think frame pump ftw!
:lol: , yea a lot of people wonder about that but I have actually taken a tumble or 2 since I started stashing it there and no worries as my bony hip took the impact :) .

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 am

Saddle bag:
- Spare tube
- Patches
- Multitool
- Tyre levers
- Split link
Jersey pockets:
- Pump