Poll on one meter passing distance - go and vote!

rolandp

Re: Poll on one meter passing distance - go and vote!

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:51 am

Sorry CycleSnail, I'm a slow adaptor of Facebook, and missed that one. I've completed your survey as well now, but still feel that the PerthNow survey included non-cyclist's (even though Baalzamon voted twice on it).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:44 am

CycleSnail wrote:
rolandp wrote:
Completed the BWA survey, but as it was only sent onto cyclists, it may be a little biased.

Good results on the PerthNow Poll.
... gee, what about the survey on theBicycle Transport Alliance Facebook page?
35 said yes to one or 1.5 metres, 1 said no (and it is worthwhile to have a look at that person's homepage)
Sorry I missed that earlier on. I have voted now. I don't use my Facebook that much so easy to miss things. Keep up the effort.

Pedal on
Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:16 am

Additional article in The West. The image in the article showing three abreast is really going to help. :cry:

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:57 am

You could always sign Safe cycling Australia's petitions...
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:22 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:You could always sign Safe cycling Australia's petitions...
Do they have any relevance to Western Australia where this topic is currently being discussed and where there is a call to change the law? If yes, you might want to provide the relevant links.

Andrew

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:14 pm

rolandp wrote:
Completed the BWA survey, but as it was only sent onto cyclists, it may be a little biased.
As opposed to the "Perth Now" poll?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:17 pm

Aushiker wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:You could always sign Safe cycling Australia's petitions...
Do they have any relevance to Western Australia where this topic is currently being discussed and where there is a call to change the law? If yes, you might want to provide the relevant links.

Andrew
They are both Federal petitions which is where our collective focus should be. ATM it's easy for the State Governments to use the ARR's as an excuse for doing nothing. We have all heard them say their hands are tied because of the ARR's.
I'll provide the links later tonight.

CycleSnail

Safe legalised passing distance to be raised in Parliament

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:57 pm

When It Comes to Saving Lives, a Metre Matters

Media release 25 July 2013

The Greens today announced they will push for laws across Australia to make cycling safer in a campaign side by side with the Amy Gillett Foundation's ‘A Metre Matters’ movement.

"Every year in Australia, an average of 35 bicycle riders are killed and more than 9,500 are seriously injured. Passing laws will cost us nothing but it will be safer for our kids to ride to school," Greens MLC Lynn MacLaren said today.

“Like Greens in other states, I will introduce a Bill in WA requiring drivers to leave a minimum distance when overtaking bicycle riders – of 1 metre on roads up to 60km/h, and 1.5 metres on faster roads," Ms MacLaren said.

“The ACT Greens have initiated a year-long inquiry into improving the safety of cyclists and other vulnerable road users," Ms MacLaren said.

Senator for Western Australia and author of the Greens’ Bike Vision plan, Scott Ludlam, said he is going to campaign for nationally consistent laws.

“In addition to safe passing distance laws, we need to see better cycling infrastructure in Australia’s cities and regional centres. For too long Federal Budgets have completely ignored the nation’s cycling needs.

“We’ve gotten off to a good start in the City of Fremantle, where last night the Council embraced a cycling plan that incorporates much of the Greens’ Bike Vision,” said Senator Ludlam.

Heinrich Benz of the WA Bicycle Transport Alliance said “I’ve been talking about safe passing distances in WA for the past three or four years. Ninety per cent of cycling deaths involve a motor vehicle. I have always thought it is appropriate that it’s put out to parliament so that law makers can make cycling safer. This also provides an incentive for people to cycle and in turn reduces congestion.”

Amy Gillett Foundation Chief Executive Officer Tracey Gaudry said “Everyone has the right to ride safely for work and play. Legislation supporting a minimum overtaking distance is one of a number of connected initiatives to foster greater acceptance of cycling in our culture, and help drivers and bicycle riders share our roads more safely.”

“This action by Greens across the country calling for legislative review to make it safer for bicycle riders on our roads highlights the importance of this issue. It is vital to achieve bi-partisan support for minimum overtaking distance legislation in states and territories, with the ultimate outcome being national unity through amendment of the Australian Road Rules. Communities across Australia have galvanised in support of this movement,” Ms Gaudry said.

A one-metre legislated minimum gap has been introduced in Europe and in nearly half the states in the USA.

Learn more about Bike Vision here: http://www.greenswa.net.au/bikevision" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Background: http://www.amygillett.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For comment: Hon Lynn MacLaren MLC – 0403 721 951

Giovanni Torre – 0417 174 302
Shane Guthrie – 0428 207 007

Office of Hon Lynn MacLaren MLC, Member for South Metropolitan Region
Legislative Council, Parliament of Western Australia
Unit 7, 142 South Terrace, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160
Tel 08 9430 7233
Shane.Guthrie@mp.wa.gov.au http://www.LynnMacLaren.org.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

CycleSnail

Legalised passing distance and sharing the road

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:06 pm

I have put together some thoughts on the sharing of road space, and in reality a legalised safe passing distance should be part of any effective campaign.

A short summary version can be found here

The full report with references etc can be found here (It is about 30 pages)

The full report references a DVD I have produced with examples of "Share the road" campaigns that were produced in other jurisdictions. You can make a copy of it on a portable device at the BTA office - email me before you come.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:51 pm

One metre is an army's length, one point five metres is a lifespan. #ametreisneverenough

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:30 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:One metre is an army's length, one point five metres is a lifespan. #ametreisneverenough
Lower speeds on selected urban roads, a legalised safe passing distance and funding to separate people on bicycles from motorists on higher volume roads are all part of the solution. Each of the measures will make cycling safer.....or, to use your wording, increase your lifespan

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:54 pm

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:48 pm

From the link above

"He said WA drivers were taught to keep a safe distance from cyclists and to give them at least one metre clearance."

All I can say is there must be a lot of poor students out there given the number of close passes.

Good to think something may get done though.

John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:53 pm

John Lewis wrote:From the link above

"He said WA drivers were taught to keep a safe distance from cyclists and to give them at least one metre clearance."

All I can say is there must be a lot of poor students out there given the number of close passes.

Good to think something may get done though.

John
I had a real sarcastic view of that comment by Mr Buswell. When I did my driving lesson ditto came up about cyclists and that was 16yrs ago before all the new fandangled stuff in licensing has come about. So going on that, just how many drivers have actually been taught to keep a safe distance amongst other things. I thought that not speeding and indicating to change lanes was also taught. :roll:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:31 pm

John Lewis wrote:From the link above

Interesting that the paper went to Troy, the legalised safe passing distance is closer related to the police portfolio.

You get a pretty good idea of what advice the ministers are getting from their departments by reading the letters of Transport and Police regarding the matter. It will be a long haul to change the Australian National Road Rule 144, but it is worthwhile.

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:48 am

How would the Police detect and enforce the 1m law and what means do drivers have to detect and comply with the minimum distance?

Funny how the ones advocating for enforcement of a law that would be difficult to comply with are the same ones who are against another law that is difficult to comply with i.e. speed enforcement on shared paths.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:56 am

Jackfrost wrote:How would the Police detect and enforce the 1m law and what means do drivers have to detect and comply with the minimum distance?

Funny how the ones advocating for enforcement of a law that would be difficult to comply with are the same ones who are against another law that is difficult to comply with i.e. speed enforcement on shared paths.
Read it.
http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2 ... HtMZqS&s=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Jackfrost wrote:How would the Police detect and enforce the 1m law and what means do drivers have to detect and comply with the minimum distance?

If you like to find out more about a legalised safe passing distance, take time to ask Tracey Gaudrey next week in Perth ... (see below)

Good afternoon

I am pleased to advise that the CEO from the Amy Gillett Foundation is coming to WA and will be at the RAC on Tuesday 13 August from 9.30am to 11am.

Ms Tracey Gaudry will be presenting on the work of the Amy Gillett Foundation over the past 18months.

Given the recent activity around legislating for a 1m passing distance, it is an ideal time to hear about the Foundations work in this area.

You are welcome to pass this invitation onto anyone you think may benefit from attending the event.

Please RSVP to marianne.carey@rac.com.au to secure your seat. Morning tea will be provided.

Kind Regards Marianne

Marianne Carey
Road User Coordinator
Royal Automobile Club of WA (inc.)
Level 4, 832 Wellington Street, West Perth WA 6005
T 08 94364524 m 04 35966192
E marianne.carey@rac.com.au W rac.com.au

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:14 pm

CycleSnail wrote:

If you like to find out more about a legalised safe passing distance, take time to ask Tracey Gaudrey next week in Perth ... (see below)

Good afternoon

I am pleased to advise that the CEO from the Amy Gillett Foundation is coming to WA and will be at the RAC on Tuesday 13 August from 9.30am to 11am.

Ms Tracey Gaudry will be presenting on the work of the Amy Gillett Foundation over the past 18months.

Given the recent activity around legislating for a 1m passing distance, it is an ideal time to hear about the Foundations work in this area.

You are welcome to pass this invitation onto anyone you think may benefit from attending the event.

Please RSVP to marianne.carey@rac.com.au to secure your seat. Morning tea will be provided.

Kind Regards Marianne

Marianne Carey
Road User Coordinator
Royal Automobile Club of WA (inc.)
Level 4, 832 Wellington Street, West Perth WA 6005
T 08 94364524 m 04 35966192
E marianne.carey@rac.com.au W rac.com.au
Or google it and save yourself a boring slide show.

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:51 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:

Read it.
http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2 ... HtMZqS&s=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Jackfrost wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:

Read it.
and?
The article says that the police in this situation are enforcing it by actually being out on the roads themselves and picking up people who ride too close to the undercover bike cops.

Although that doesn't address your query regarding how driver's actually work out what is 1 metre from a cyclist, which I think is a more difficult proposition. Frankly the only way to know you, as a driver, aren't closer than 1 metre would be to change lanes to overtake, which is the safest option anyway.

I found it interesting that the article says that the police are giving an option of a fine or attending defensive cycling courses.

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:39 pm

Summernight wrote: Frankly the only way to know you, as a driver, aren't closer than 1 metre would be to change lanes to overtake, which is the safest option anyway.
And when there is continual oncoming traffic or centre islands?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Jackfrost wrote:
Summernight wrote: Frankly the only way to know you, as a driver, aren't closer than 1 metre would be to change lanes to overtake, which is the safest option anyway.
And when there is continual oncoming traffic or centre islands?
And there's the problem with our roads. "And what if?" If what if occurs, don't overtake. It's not rocket surgery is it? What if I don't have room for any one if a million reasons? I choose to wait until I can.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Correction: that little man in my head tells me "I must wait until I can

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:58 pm

And further to your "what if's", what makes you feel the need to question your ability to overtake in the situations you question under our current RR144?