TDU - Bupa Challenge times recorded and published

TDU - Bupa Challenge times recorded and published

Postby Cycotic » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:41 am

I notice the TDU challenge is promoting "In an event first you will have your time recorded and published".
In past years the organisers have pushed the message "it's not a race, stay safe" and now they do this?
I have participated in this event for the past 6 years and have seen some very dangerous situations where inexperienced riders have mixed with way-too-serious pro-wannabes. Recording and publishing times will only encourage dangerous riding.

I also notice on page 44 of the ride guide "Remember to have fun, this is not a race it's a recreational ride!" Which is it? What's the point of recording and publishing times if it's not a race?

I value my safety, so I won't be participating this time.
Cycotic

by BNA » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:08 pm

BNA

Re: TDU - Bupa Challenge times recorded and published

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:08 pm

I bowed out a while ago due to this. Also ended up dropping out of RLC when the same sort of thing happened in front of Police. A complaint went unheeded and couldn't give a rats.

In some ways a pity, bit its saved me a lot of money ...
MichaelB

Postby jcjordan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:59 pm

The conduct of the riders was the rain that I stopped doing the ride after 2010, that and the piss poor efforts by the organisers.

With or without timing these events are always treated as a effort where doing a personal best time is a priority and the organisation responsible should put in place the appropriate responses.

All they need to do is replicate the Amy Gillette Grand Fondo

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:43 pm

I can't see any point in recording and publishing times either but I don't think it will make much difference to rider behaviour tbh. Anyone looking for glory will be posting their rides to Strava and riding like a d!ckhead anyway.
I'll be staying well away from the ride. I scored a free entry last year and despite my better judgement turned up and did the ride, probably the worst I've seen for crashes, I saw four different riders being put into ambulances. One of my mates was in a crash that broke two bikes and left a few riders injured. The ride is too big and too badly organised.
Last edited by you cannot be sirrus on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott CR1, Kuota Kharma
you cannot be sirrus

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:52 am

I haven't bothered now for a few years, would rather stay safe and ride all the stages and watch the pros along the way... Much better way to spend the day [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Dr_Mutley

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:I haven't bothered now for a few years, would rather stay safe and ride all the stages and watch the pros along the way... Much better way to spend the day [THUMBS UP SIGN]

+1

Cheaper too !!!
MichaelB

Postby nailsaslegs » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:49 pm

I have to say, I did the BUPA last year...made a rookie mistake and I should know better after doing ATB, Ottways, Racing, ToB and various other large rides and Tours that always start at the front. I carved my way through the first 1000 people, seeing inexperienced riders, wrong side of the road, cant descend etc once I was past it was clear riding with most of the riders with the same ability. So I think it really depends on who you ride with and how you ride. I will do it again next year, it doesn't worry me about a published time or not but I can see why they would. To many, if not more than 50% of the riders it is a personal achievement to complete the ride.
nailsaslegs

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:42 am

nailsaslegs wrote:I have to say, I did the BUPA last year...made a rookie mistake and I should know better after doing ATB, Ottways, Racing, ToB and various other large rides and Tours that always start at the front. I carved my way through the first 1000 people, seeing inexperienced riders, wrong side of the road, cant descend etc once I was past it was clear riding with most of the riders with the same ability. So I think it really depends on who you ride with and how you ride. I will do it again next year, it doesn't worry me about a published time or not but I can see why they would. To many, if not more than 50% of the riders it is a personal achievement to complete the ride.

Or, if your not a morning person like me, start 2hrs late, and its a pretty clear run! Although the chances of you having to stop and render CPR to random punters collapsed on the side of the road does increase markedly!!!
Dr_Mutley

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Strap an oxygen bottle to the bike Mutley. :lol:
Certified Brand Snob
Daccordi Rider

Postby Cycotic » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:22 pm

I contacted the organisers about this. Apparently many people requested timings in the post-event survey last time, so they decided to trial it.
Cycotic

Postby eeksll » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:26 pm

mass number of non pro riders going fast is never going to be safe.

Throw in 3 mega hill climbs I say. Stretch the damn thing out.
eeksll

Return to South Australia