Cool track photo thread

ldrcycles

Re: Cool track photo thread

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:14 pm

How forstemann got those quads :shock:

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:25 am

Oldschool Redevelopment by 2016 at a cost of 18M Euros. :mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Where is that velodrome?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:13 pm

Velodromo Vigorelli is a velodrome in Milan, Italy. It is currently used mostly for American football events. The stadium holds 9,000 people and was built in 1935 by Vigorelli Cycles.*

*Edit according to Wiki...

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:33 am

Maspes-Vigorelli, yes made famous by it's use for "Hour Record" and often the “Finish”
for important road races.
These type of Tracks were amazing, at 400m, you were at the end or halfway on the
back straight before reaching the 200m mark. In sprints you could be coming
out of the bend (as normal) and think you had it made (huge bends), and be struggling
half way down to the line in the main straight. Better to come from behind. :wink:
:mrgreen:
History of the velodrome as defined in the document:
"The history of the Velodromo Maspes-Vigorelli begins with the growth of interest in cycling at the end of the 19th century. In Milan races round the Bastioni (ramparts) led to the first important road races (Milan-Sanremo, Giro di Lombardia and Giro d’Italia). The first tracks were laid out: the first circuit in hardened cinder at the Trotter was followed by another set up in the Arena in wood. At the turn of the century track racing consolidated its success.

Velodromo del Sempione was built in Via Giovanni di Procida. It was an outdoor track that quickly became famous for the exploits of numerous cyclists. It was demolished some decades later in 1928 because of its age but also because the Palazzo dello Sport, which had been opened in the nearby Fiera in 1923, accommodated an indoor wooden track which could be assembled for cycling.

In 1935 the Municipality of Milan, on the suggestion of the industrialist and city council member Giuseppe Vigorelli, a former cycle-track racer, decided to reconstruct the Velodromo as part of a sports center building program: San Siro stadium (1926), the Milan Lido (1931-36), Cozzi (1933) and Romano (1937) swimming pools.

The Vigorelli became the most important and famous venue for track cycling in Italy. The high-speed configuration of its track made it known internationally: world records were set and championships held there. Moreover, it was often the “Finish” for important road races and also hosted numerous sprint and pursuit contests. Unfortunately, in addition to the track being completely destroyed by fire during the Second World War, an exceptionally heavy snowfall in 1985 led to the roof collapsing onto the wooden track, damaging it severely.

The decline of the velodrome set in after this episode: the track was reconstructed but not the roof. After three years of reduced activity, the Velodrome - also used as a venue for concerts - was closed definitively for cycling. In July 1991, the roof was reconstructed and a new lighting system was installed.

Finally, towards the end of the Nineties, due to company sponsorship of a cycling team, the track was completely restored and the central area of the Velodrome was surfaced with synthetic grass to allow American Football, Five-a-side, and Field Hockey to be played."

jonsgym

Postby jonsgym » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:57 am

Hi, I enjoyed this thread so much I joined and became a member. There are some amazing photos on here and great stories, I have a couple of memories you guys may be interested in. There used to be a track in London called Paddington, it was, as are most of the older British tracks, a big, probably 500 meters, with very shallow bankings, concrete and much faster than its more famous rival Hern Hill. The racing was tremendous and the crowd were regulars from the local area and very knowledgeable about track racing. A guy called Chas Messenger, used to run the track league and most of the open meetings. Chas was a great example of the many folk who put into the sport voluntarily,their time and effort for the pure love of the sport. He was a no nonsense, straight forward bloke who was sometimes a bit inflexible.
I was young then, but had always had as my hero the great Australian cyclist Russell Mockridge and because of this I used to get copies of the old Australian Cyclist magazine. So when this young Australian cyclist turned up at the Paddington track league meeting, I immediately recognised him as Danny Clark, even then a multi champion.
Because Chas Messenger did not know who he was he put him in the B category races, even though I kept trying to tell him who Danny was. Needless to say Danny cleaned up, and in the last race of the evening, the open, all catagory, 10 mile Danny Clark lapped the field. He was such a class act on a bike. Chas never did admit he was wrong, he just said, " he's never raced here before and I don't know him, he goes in the B cat races!"

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks for joining jonsgym, and for sharing the memories. We had a similar situation last year at RAW. One of our club top guns shows up for his first track ride and, because he was an unknown, got put into div 2. He killed em, and then went into the time blaster and came second, after dropping the entire field save one (who, iirc, was the junior world champion). It's standard procedure to only put known quantities into the top grade, given that they're the guys who are at rep level. You don't want someone going into it who is a bit shaky and wrecking years of hard work by crashing into someone.

What we need from you, jonsgym, is photos. Lot's of photos.

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:32 am

Welcome Jonsgym
Funny you mentioned Paddington, as when I stayed in London NW6/10 used to head
over each morning to train there at that Track in the '70's. Think I raced one meet also?
Also stood in for Danny at Herne Hill "Good Friday" and the Easter Monday meet.
No easy handicap at those meets. :)
Below a photo got from LFGSS at that Track (the rider #32 has the Paddington CC jersey)
Cheers
:mrgreen:

jonsgym

Postby jonsgym » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Brentono, that's the track. Not a brilliant surface, but fast. That looks like 'Mo Burton leading that group, there were only two black cyclists racing at Paddington then,'Mo and his mate Jo Clovis. 'Mo or Maurice as his full name is now owns De Ver Cycles in south London, his son now also races.

http://www.devercycles.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mo was talented rider and rode quite a few 6 Day races in the 70's and 80's.

jonsgym

Postby jonsgym » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:37 pm

I need your help guys. I have quite a few photographs that I want to post on here, but I seem unable to add them to the forum postings. I have scanned them to my wife's humungous desktop Mac, then sent them from that to my iPad in an e-mail but no matter what I do to copy and paste them on here, it doesn't happen. What am I doing wrong? any ideas. Thanks.

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:05 pm

I think you will find that the problem is that you have to have 10 posts before you can post pictures.

When you are ready to post the process is detailed here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use photobucket and it is very straightforward.
Last edited by Pax on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_P

Postby A_P » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23303
everything you need to know

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:10 pm

A_P wrote:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23303
everything you need to know

Beat you by 5 seconds I suspect :lol:....and I still think you need 10 posts before you can put pictures up

jonsgym

Postby jonsgym » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:31 am

Thanks for the info, I will try again after I have completed 10 posts. I was looking through some old pictures of sprinters in the late 1950's and 60's and came across a report of the 1962 world championships in Milan where the reporter was saying how Ron Baensch, the great Australian sprinter was the fastest bloke in the amateur competition, though he did not win it. As often happened when Ron raced against any Italian rider, there was fireworks and the occasional punch up, at the '62 worlds Ron met the Italian Petenella in the quarter finals. Ron lost 5 spokes from his front wheel and a protest in race one, he won race two and lost the decision in a photo finnish and a protest in race three. So pretty normal stuff for Ron.
All this reminded me of a story that the English sprinter told me 40 or so years ago, concerning Ron Baensch, I really admire Ron Baensch, this is in no way judgmental of him, just what I was told.
This English sprinter was at a later Worlds when Ron was riding as a pro, Ron was warming up on the rollers and shall we say representatives of the Italian camp approached Ron and had an earnest conversation with him, Ron shook his head and the delegation left. They returned a couple of times, with the same result, Ron shaking his head. The Englishman said the last time they approached Ron, he nodded and they left. When queried, " what was that all about then Ron? ". Baensch replied that they had wanted him to lose the race but weren't offering enough money, eventually they met his price.
Only Ron Baensch knows if this is true or not. I firmly believe that Ron was the fastest sprinter in the world at his peak and no one, not even Maspes, could beat him in a fair race. The Italians had to use all of their finalists to rough him up in the rounds preceding the final in order to get an Italian win.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:59 pm

It's easy to get

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:59 pm

10 posts

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:01 pm

by doing this. We don't mind.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:10 pm

We especially don't mind if you have cool stories and photos to share! :)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jonsgym

Postby jonsgym » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:56 pm

OK,OK.

jonsgym

Postby jonsgym » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:56 pm

OK,I think that ------

jonsgym

Postby jonsgym » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:57 pm

I get where your ------

jonsgym

Postby jonsgym » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:58 pm

Coming from now ----

jonsgym

Postby jonsgym » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:58 pm

Thank's very much --

jonsgym

Postby jonsgym » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:00 pm

For your help.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Just follow the wheel jonsgym. When the time is right (and it looks like it is) slingshot around.