29er as a Road and Single-track Tourer

rifraf

Re: 29er as a Road and Single-track Tourer

Postby rifraf » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Well you wouldn't credit it.
I spent a couple of hours in the shed today mocking up the fenders.
It appears I will be able to retain the lower BBB XL Fueltank but not with my new Nalgene wide mouth water bottle.
I had to laugh as it appears I'll get away with a 1.5 pet bottle which I didnt expect.
I'll have to seek some measurements of a Nalgene narrow mouth to see if ones worth ordering.
I'll be spitting if I cant get one in their blue plastic to at least match the colour of the one it would be replacing.
If not I'll consider a smaller capacity narrow mouth or give up entirely and stick with Pet bottles which is the cheaper option.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:56 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Just make sure you either add a spot of oil to stainless threads or buy a tube of copper anti seize paste. I used the copper paste I think it's more effective plus it's the correct product for the job. Glad you have many of your parts all ready in stainless. Not only that but you can then make you whole bike HEX key getting rid of some of the annoying Phillips head and Flat tip screws you come across.
On the subject of stainless steel bolts etc does anyone know a good online source for same?

Thanks
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:39 am

Aushiker wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Just make sure you either add a spot of oil to stainless threads or buy a tube of copper anti seize paste. I used the copper paste I think it's more effective plus it's the correct product for the job. Glad you have many of your parts all ready in stainless. Not only that but you can then make you whole bike HEX key getting rid of some of the annoying Phillips head and Flat tip screws you come across.
On the subject of stainless steel bolts etc does anyone know a good online source for same?

Thanks
Andrew
There is probably someplace closer to you (this one is on the Gold Coast), but Bolts Nut Screws Online have provided excellent service even for the rather low value orders I've placed. I must admit to over-ordering at times because I feel embarrassed about the size of my order.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:56 pm

RonK wrote:There is probably someplace closer to you (this one is on the Gold Coast), but Bolts Nut Screws Online have provided excellent service even for the rather low value orders I've placed. I must admit to over-ordering at times because I feel embarrassed about the size of my order.
Thanks. After posting here my Googlefu kicked in and found some options that handle small orders ... couldn't find them on a previous search so should be good once I work out my needs plus a few spares.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:46 am

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:There is probably someplace closer to you (this one is on the Gold Coast), but Bolts Nut Screws Online have provided excellent service even for the rather low value orders I've placed. I must admit to over-ordering at times because I feel embarrassed about the size of my order.
Thanks. After posting here my Googlefu kicked in and found some options that handle small orders ... couldn't find them on a previous search so should be good once I work out my needs plus a few spares.

Andrew
Hi Andrew
Who did you find?
RonKs outfit look like they have some stainless hex couplers I need to finish my mudguards but some more options would be great.
Cheers :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:39 am

rifraf wrote:Who did you find?
RonKs outfit look like they have some stainless hex couplers I need to finish my mudguards but some more options would be great.
Cheers :D
I found a couple of sites but only kept this URL ... https://www.stainlessstore.com.au/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I found it very doing a search in eBay and it and others popped up as advertisers :)

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks heaps.
I'll go have a look

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:49 pm

It is funny to be coming back to this thread which I started way back in 2012 and now considering a ECR build. Anyway Aidan did you end up going with a Jones bar? Using a handlebar bag with it?

Thanks
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:26 am

Aushiker wrote:It is funny to be coming back to this thread which I started way back in 2012 and now considering a ECR build. Anyway Aidan did you end up going with a Jones bar? Using a handlebar bag with it?

Thanks
Andrew
Hi Andrew,
I have not yet bought the genuine Jones bar and currently feel in no hurry to do so as the faux yet licensed Titec bar has given no issue (yet) and offer the same angles.
I currently use a Thorn accessory bar that RonK kindly donated to me:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-access ... 0/?geoc=au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or a similar length to hang my Ortlieb handlebar bag.
Soon as I know your likely home for a few days, I'll try to get to Fremantle so you can A. get to try a Rolloff and B. feel just how heavy some 622 rims are simply clad with 2 inch Mondials, let alone Surly Knards (Which I believe will make you sh*t a brick by their inertia).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:17 pm

rifraf wrote:Soon as I know your likely home for a few days, I'll try to get to Fremantle so you can A. get to try a Rolloff and B. feel just how heavy some 622 rims are simply clad with 2 inch Mondials, let alone Surly Knards (Which I believe will make you sh*t a brick by their inertia).
:)

Thanks heaps for the offer ... more than happy to take you up on it ... does coming to Joondalup work better for you? Will be here most days from December 29 to December 31 and then again after January 6.

Andrew

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:21 pm

I would be interested too, could make it a Rohloff meetup ;)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:51 am

Sounds good ... curious as to what cranksets you are both using. I was going to not go with a Rohloff but I keep coming back to the idea :) One issue I have is trying to get an idea on the chainline required. I know Logan at Pedalling Nowhere has a Shimano Deore XT crankset on his build but he is running Velocity Blunt 35 rims where as I would be going with either Surly Rabbit Holes or Velocity Dually so not sure how that will impact on the chain line.

Ideally I would like to be able to use something like a SRAM X1 (assuming it is suitable - need to research this more).

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Andrew if you meet me at carriage cafe in freo on sat you can try out my surly with it's thudbuster LT seatpost
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:22 pm

Thudbuster is great, be surprised if you tried it and didn't get one!

I tried the ST for the first time recently after having both for a long time, trying LT first and not looking back to compare. ST takes the edge off but obviously has nothing on the LT.

I think I read somewhere from a volume re-seller that the reason the LT sells multiple times more than the ST is people spending want a drastic improvement and are happy with it, rarely saying 'too nice, give me the ST'.

Some people complain that their bread needs buttering, I think they are the same I read complaining that the bushes need replacing, after ~10kkm seemed to be common from long term neutral toned reports.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Andrew if you meet me at carriage cafe in freo on sat you can try out my surly with it's thudbuster LT seatpost
Sounds like a plan. What time you planning to be there?

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:56 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Andrew if you meet me at carriage cafe in freo on sat you can try out my surly with it's thudbuster LT seatpost
Sounds like a plan. What time you planning to be there?

Andrew
Aim to be there from say 8am depending on the wind... thru to 9:30 or so

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:19 pm

On the subject of Jones 710 H-Bars ...

Purchasing one from Jeff Jones directly whilst reasonably priced for the bar, the shipping is now US$185.00! That is $60 more than the cost of the bars themselves. There is a possibility of purchasing a Jones 710 Loop H-Bar from Charlie the Bikemonger in the UK for ~ AU$295 delivered which still makes it a very expensive handlebar! At least it is better than Jeff Jones delivered price of AU$382.

Any other known sources? I know there is a New Zealand distributor but will not post to Australia ... not sure about NZ bike shops but.

Other options or handle bars of a similar design?

Andrew

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Aushiker wrote:On the subject of Jones 710 H-Bars ...

Purchasing one from Jeff Jones directly whilst reasonably priced for the bar, the shipping is now US$185.00! That is $60 more than the cost of the bars themselves. There is a possibility of purchasing a Jones 710 Loop H-Bar from Charlie the Bikemonger in the UK for ~ AU$295 delivered which still makes it a very expensive handlebar! At least it is better than Jeff Jones delivered price of AU$382.

Any other known sources? I know there is a New Zealand distributor but will not post to Australia ... not sure about NZ bike shops but.

Andrew
Holy crap. Shipping out of the US is getting rediculous. Did you contact them directly to see how they justify the expense or see if there was a cheaper shipping option?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:39 pm

Andrew
You'll be fine if you don't rush.
They turn up on eBay from time to time and so do the Titec (made under license to Jones) versions.
That postage quote is approx $100 dearer than when I last got a quote I believe

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:43 pm

Andrew
SJS have got some H bars... Humpert brand Not a 45 degree bend however like Jeff Jones H bars

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:02 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Holy crap. Shipping out of the US is getting rediculous. Did you contact them directly to see how they justify the expense or see if there was a cheaper shipping option?
No. Just did this via their online shopping cart ... probably not much point contacting them at the moment.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Baalzamon wrote:SJS have got some H bars... Humpert brand Not a 45 degree bend however like Jeff Jones H bars
Thanks. The Humpert Space bar looks a closer fit; of course SJS Cycles don't stock them.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:13 pm

rifraf wrote:They turn up on eBay from time to time and so do the Titec (made under license to Jones) versions.
Search now in place.

BTW are you using Ergon grips with your bars?

Andrew

RonK

29er as a Road and Single-track Tourer

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:13 pm

Jones shop front software is crap - the shipping calculator has to be wrong.

Get it sent to Shipitto.

Jones actually made the 710 bar for Surly, so maybe a Surly dealer can supply.

Finally, at what price does a complete bike become feasible? I noticed Tree Fort Bikes had the ECR for just over $2k
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:59 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:They turn up on eBay from time to time and so do the Titec (made under license to Jones) versions.
Search now in place.

BTW are you using Ergon grips with your bars?

Andrew
No, I found the perfect (for Titek J-bar) grip in the Sram Dualdrive grips which I already had a pair in my parts box.
From memory, the available Ergon grips, at the time, were not suitable for the Jones type bars due to the angles.
The dual drive grips are one sided grip shifter specific. :)