An accident waiting to happen

Dragster1

An accident waiting to happen

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Hello to everyone on BNA
I do a fair bit of riding on the centenary bikeway and have noticed the poorly designed crossings. One particular crossing at MT Ommaney (Dandenong RD) when heading north bound , you can wait quite a while to cross, so a lot of cyclists get a little edgy and try to defy chance and get through the breaks in the traffic during peak times.

I myself included have done this and have noticed that when the cars are coming straight towards you, its quite hard to determine their speed. They seem to want to beat the traffic on the roundabout and accelerate at great speeds so that they can jump into the left lane to go to the shopping centre, which makes things even more dangerous.

The government wants us to use the bikeways more often to cut traffic and pollution down. Why can't they build something more safer instead of wasting all this money on tunnels that hardly anyone uses ????. Surely a set of lights, a wooden bridge or a tunnel wouldn't damage their ever so important budgets.

Bah77

Re: An accident waiting to happen

Postby Bah77 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Yeah i hate that one too
https://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&l ... 1&t=h&z=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Both lanes can go straight through, and when they aren't people are turning left, can make it hard to get the gap. I guess there's a set of lights at the top of the hill if it ever got that bad?

I hate the one at the start near the big roundabout too, looking back and to the right to check for traffic, but that's more me being impatient and not wanting to stop.. also someone hit the pole that you can lean against ages ago so you have to unclip to stop.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:34 pm

I just cringe when some people just ride through (Toowong roundabout) and understand sometimes you cant unclip that fast,at the last moment and have no choice but to power through.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:24 pm

both of those are an issue. Due to the round about design, the Mount Ommaney "intersection" is worse. At the Toowong one, I'm looking for cars exiting the roundabout from when I make the left turn

The Mount Ommaney one, I occasionally have to wait, but I just look for Camrys

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:26 pm

When heading north (inbound) on the Bikeway at the Mount Ommaney roundabout, the cars coming off centenary highway in the north direction are ok, because you can see their speed from side on (Fast or Slow) but the ones coming from Sinnamon park are coming straight towards you and you assume their speed at 60ks and you can make a judgement for a safe crossing between the traffic but if they go a lot faster it becomes a close shave if not a hit.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:28 pm

jasonc wrote:both of those are an issue. Due to the round about design, the Mount Ommaney "intersection" is worse. At the Toowong one, I'm looking for cars exiting the roundabout from when I make the left turn

Hallelujah - i feel internally vindicated.

Not often do i use these crossings but everytime i do i think "how could anyone design such an obviously dangerous environment"

But what disappoints me the most is that Brisbane City Council would see fit to invest money+++ in their CityCycle scheme, in preference to ensuring that the basic infrastructure met a reasonable standard of safety.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:26 pm

elantra wrote:
jasonc wrote:both of those are an issue. Due to the round about design, the Mount Ommaney "intersection" is worse. At the Toowong one, I'm looking for cars exiting the roundabout from when I make the left turn

Hallelujah - i feel internally vindicated.

Not often do i use these crossings but everytime i do i think "how could anyone design such an obviously dangerous environment"

But what disappoints me the most is that Brisbane City Council would see fit to invest money+++ in their CityCycle scheme, in preference to ensuring that the basic infrastructure met a reasonable standard of safety.
Does it take for someone to get killed before they realise how dangerous they are ??. Kids use these crossings all the time that don't have a lot of road skills.

Yankers

Postby Yankers » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:32 pm

It seems that the people who 'design' these things often have no practical experience.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:29 pm

It just shows how dangerous the round about is at Mt Ommaney, someone has mounted the gutter and driven through the fence onto the bike path. The remains of the broken fence are still there.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Image]
They have bent the fence back up and wired the hand railing back together it was splayed all over the path yesterday. A runner had told me that a Semi had come across on a car and forced it up onto the bike path and it went up further and bent a light pole. It just proves that cars go way too quick through there. Why don't the law enforcement people in this country place speed cameras where they count instead of getting innocent people on the way to work, doing a couple of ks over on a straight bit of road..

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:53 pm

The Go! Fix app is a way of documenting these issues so that the authorities can improve or fix. Here are details - it is worth getting these issue in the system.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/2013/07/empo ... e-android/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cycling is in my BNA

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:08 am

^ iDud and Android. Where's the windows mobile option?

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:02 am

jasonc wrote:Where's the windows mobile option?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:19 am

AUbicycles wrote:The Go! Fix app is a way of documenting these issues so that the authorities can improve or fix. Here are details - it is worth getting these issue in the system.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/2013/07/empo ... e-android/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks all the same, I don't have any of them phones also but I will also send a letter to the local member.