Cycling Alaska-Canada.

polishbiker

Re: Cycling Alaska-Canada.

Postby polishbiker » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:31 am

I thought 34 was below rohloff recommendation, lowest with 16 sprocket was 38 as far as i know. 34 seems a bit too low unless you going to do the tour de france perhaps :p
Well arrived to smithers yesterday, rest day n then 3 days to get to prince george.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:36 pm

http://www.rohloff.de/en/technology/wor ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You may have missed the revision Pawel.
I think 34T chainring and 16T sprocket offers me 17.2 on the Ogre which is just above the Moultons 16.7 gear inches.
This according to Sheldons gear calculator
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rohloff.de/en/technology/wor ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Smallest permissible sprocket ratios

The primary sprocket ratio used with the Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14 (e.g. 42:16) converts the slow rotational speed at the crank into a fast rotational speed at the rear sprocket and reduces the input torque for the Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14 in the same proportion. To prevent overstraining the hub, a minimum factor of 2.10 must be used. This minimum factor equates to a primary transmission ratio of:- 36:17, 34:16, 32:15 and 28:13. These SPEEDHUB 500/14 ratios resemble a derailleur transmission of 20:34.

Larger chainrings can be used without exceptions."
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:39 pm

polishbiker wrote:I thought 34 was below rohloff recommendation, lowest with 16 sprocket was 38 as far as i know. 34 seems a bit too low unless you going to do the tour de france perhaps :p
Well arrived to smithers yesterday, rest day n then 3 days to get to prince george.
Rohloff had to drop it, because they were loosing 29er sales.
So what was once verboten and voided your warranty is now ok. Funny that.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:48 am

wow ineed, thanks for the update rif :)
not having much luck finding a single speed chainring made of 7075 material around here, hoping in p[rince george they would have a bigger selection, otherwise may need to other online n ship somewhere along the way, only found a 6061 material chainring but google people say its too soft for loaded touring, not far from jasper n banff either so if i can make it with my 16x42 they i may not need it for 2 months or so after as its meant to be pretty flat :)
makes me want to go with a 36 even but worried i would lose the fast top gears that would be good to have on flat parts.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm a little short at the moment due to some online ordering so cant offer to post this to you at the moment.
Do you use Thorn cranks?
I have a 38T Thorn 110mm bcd chainring that I'd happily donate to your trip.
I'm 8km up the road now in Yanchep.
Perhaps your friend with the dohnuts, whom we met with in Two Rocks, can pick up and post to you or if they are close to a railway station I might be able to drop it off.
Pretty sure I can find it - I've just move house and its packed away in the garage.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:55 pm

Yep, got thorn 42 110 bcd atm.
Thanks for the offer, see how i go through jasper n banff, think the biggest challenge was going the top of the world highway it seems, hills here are ok for now. Arrived to prince george, rest day n heading to jasper soon :)
Added new photos too.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:27 pm

Prince George is at 575m, Jasper at 1062m and Banff at 1,463 m so you are in for a long stretch of pretty much continuous climbing for 660 km. Fortunately the road mostly follows the river valleys. If you make it to Banff, it is pretty much downhill to Calgray & then you are on the flat prairies all the way to Quebec. I still laugh at driving from Calgary to Edmonton & there was one lump in the road & it was signposted :D

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

We back on the road tomorrow, 3 days before i hit jasper i reckon. I heard the climbing is gradual, nothing too extreme :)

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:19 am

well arrived to fernie yesterday n staying for a few days as I have a friend here, one more pass to go through so looks like the current gear setup worked although I will be changing it once back in oz for the next time, happy days.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:42 am

In winnipeg, caught up with a world cyclist Thomas Meixner and going east together for sometime :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:42 pm

polishbiker wrote:In winnipeg, caught up with a world cyclist Thomas Meixner and going east together for sometime :)
Uh oh, I think you will be on his webpage now :)
http://www.thomasmeixner.de/start.html
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:03 am

well today had a quick course on how to reverse the rohloff sprocket, back on the road tomorrow :)

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:17 am

Toronto, what a fantastic city, think everyone owns at least one bicycle, very bicycle friendly place!

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:52 pm

going through the last part of Canada, New Brunswick, then heading West towards the US border and slowly making my way down to New York.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:26 am

Sounds like you are having fun Pawel.
All the best.

John

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:56 pm

home sweet home :)

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Congratulations. It has been quite a adventure. Thanks for sharing.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:06 am

For those of you who never had the pleasure of exploring Alaska/Canada, they are wonderful places and I would highly recommend them.

A bit about this trip:
Mostly as planned, I started in Anchorage AK and crossed all Canada until I hit New Brunswick, then followed the coast down until I hit New York.
Travelled 12.000kms this time.
Time spent: 5,5 months
Overall lost only about 6 kgs unlike other times!
Bicycle handled exceptionally well once again.
Had only 1 puncture, that’s after about 11.000kms once I crossed to USA.
Most beautiful part I would say was the road from Jasper to Banff.

Yet again, met wonderful people along the way and seen some great scenery.

Was very lucky with the weather, was beautiful for most of it, had some rainy days obviously bot nothing major. Was quite warm until I arrived to Quebec City but luckily I got a package from
Alaska with all my warm clothes (I left them there as it was quite warm at the time).

The coldest I was camping was -8.
Coldest riding was -5.

Snowed only once on my way to New York, on my second last day actually, coldest day but it was good to experience it.

Few bears spotted along with the other usual wildlife as well.

This trip I also learnt how to be even more efficient with spending money, as my previous trips I had all my sleeping gear, cooking etc with but this time I been using forest/school yards/football fields and lots of other random spots in order not to pay for a campsite which is generally just a grassy spot! In my 5,5 months I only paid twice for a place to stay, it’s a good part of the adventure to be able to find a ‘safe’ place to stay for the night, I never had problems, you generally get better at finding such place with time.

Canada and America are also much cheaper than Australia so that helped.

Anyway, not going to write a book and bore you here too much, just saying hello to everyone :)

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:12 am

I wish I had had a bike when I lived there.

How are the blackflys going?