Easiest/Safest way to the Valley

briztoon

Easiest/Safest way to the Valley

Postby briztoon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Hey guys n gals,

Looking to ride in to the Valley tomorrow (Mclachlan Street) and looking for advice on the safest way in there from Wynnum Road or Logan Road.

My main concern is navigating the multiple lanes where Shafston ave and Main st merge, and then over Story bridge. Happy to take to the footpaths here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :D

dclnmurray

Re: Easiest/Safest way to the Valley

Postby dclnmurray » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:41 pm

From Logan Road, not sure where along Logan Road but best would be to go through stones corner towards PA Hospital, under the freeway and take cycle track on right hand side after freeway. Come out down below Captain Cook Bridge, follow track along bottom of Kangaroo Point cliffs and then up and over Story Bridge (Right hand side), down Malt St, Arthur St, James St and you are there. http://goo.gl/maps/m4LBT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Wynnum Road (make sure you are on North side heading downhill from Hawthorne Road, head onto laidlaw Parade, Mowbray Park, Thorn St and follow cycle signs onto Story Bridge right hand side. http://goo.gl/maps/F18fi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards

Dave

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:53 pm

Some other ideas.
If you don't mind a bit of a shortcut i would suggest incorporating a cross-river ferry, either Bulimba to Teneriffe service or Norman Park to NewFarm Park service
Map of brisbane ferry services

However if you want to acheive it sans ferry then i would suggest you aim for a low-profile bike path that exists through Mowbray Park (as Dave has alluded to in his post above)
from there to K. Point is a slightly complex but reasonably efficient route via the small streets to Lambert St and Deakin St, then onto the city side walkway of the Storey bridge by crossing under it (?Rotherham St) then a short backtrack up the (quiet) part of Main St. and onto bridge (walkway/cyclepath)

However how to safely cross Wynnum Rd to access Mowbray Park could be a bit of a challenge - perhaps a dogleg involving Walter Av and Heath Street, to bring you out at the traffic lights near Eskgrove St and a short bit of footpath.

I do advise to NOT try to ride straight up Shafston Av. and use the big flyover that brings you out on Main St at the start of the bridge.
I tried that once about 30 years ago and decided never to do it again -NEVER.
Hope that helps.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:06 am

Thanks guys, with your help I think I have it sussed.

Ride down Wynnum/Lytton roads to the lights at Latrobe street and cross at the pedestrian crossing over to Mowbray Park. On to the bike path then Thorn street and Lambert Street. On to the path over the bridge from Deakin street. As I want to head in to the Valley, I'm staying on the Valley side of the bridge. Over the bridge and turn right on to Bowen terrace, left on to Malt street, Arthur street and swing around James then Ann streets and back on to McLachlan street.

I've got a case of upgradeitis, so going to check out a new bike and take it for a test ride around New Farm

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:58 am