New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Aushiker

Re: New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:59 pm

Arapiles wrote:My experience has been that whilst the UK retailers like Wiggle will immediately replace something that is faulty with a new product, with no quibbles, the German retailers will get you to send it back to them, whereupon they will send it to the manufacturer who will check/repair etc and then send it back to the retailer who will send it back to you. All that takes time - in my case a B&M light I sent back to the retailer was lost by them and eventually got back to me about 6 months later - unreplaced and unrepaired because the manufacturer said there was no problem with it.
That was my experience with Bike24 and Sigma Sport ... learnt an expensive lesson and will not go near Sigma Sport products again and will think carefully about buying products from German retailers where there is a reasonable chance of needing warranty support.

Andrew

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:42 am

Got a Bike24 email last night, i'm guessing the latter will probably be the outcome...

"we will send the Supernova E3 Pro Terraflux Front Light glare-free to the producer. If the producer will replace your article, you will get a new one, too. If the article will be repaired, you will get it back repaired."

Arapiles

Postby Arapiles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi Crawf

Can I ask what the issue with the Supernova was? The E3 Pro was one of the lights on my short-list.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:12 pm

I have two Supernovas - the original 200 lumens E3 and the upgraded E3 Pro. Excellent lights, never missed a beat. The E3 Pro has been used for all my riding (night and day) for the past 2+ years, so it has done something close to 15,000kms of lit riding - what most riders would take 5-10 years to chalk up.

Only criticism - the black anodising of the housing has turned a shade of copper bronze :o :?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:54 am

Arapiles wrote:Hi Crawf

Can I ask what the issue with the Supernova was? The E3 Pro was one of the lights on my short-list.
The capacitor in the front light had blown, which also completely runs the rear and both standlights. The front only came on when in motion. Had racked up 11,000k and was 12mths old

Arapiles

Postby Arapiles » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:27 am

Crawf wrote:
Arapiles wrote:Hi Crawf

The capacitor in the front light had blown, which also completely runs the rear and both standlights. The front only came on when in motion. Had racked up 11,000k and was 12mths old
That's pretty good (as is il padrone's 15000K) compared to my Luxos, which racked up all of about 30ks before expiring ....

By the way, H&S Bike Discount have now agreed to also pay for the cost of shipping the Luxos back to them, so I shouldn't end up out of pocket at all.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:57 am

Crawf wrote:Hmm, I sent my Supernova E3's (f&r) to bike24 a few weeks back, I guess I'm in for a looong wait.
In the mean time I hooked up a Luxos U, which has only been exposed to a light sprinkle of rain to date, I'll be keeping a close eye on it!
How is the Luxos going Crawf?
I was reading on the Peter White Cycles site how good the beam spread is.
I could probably stretch the budget to the cheaper Luxos if it is that much better than the IQ cyo.
Don't want a light that isn't reliable though.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:38 am

warthog1 wrote:Don't want a light that isn't reliable though.
BUMM's answers to my questions:

1. Q: Incompatible with some rear lights?
A: The problem of compatibility between Luxos U and Toplight Brake Tec rear light was due to a particular component in a small quantity of Brake Tec lights. It had nothing to do with the functionality of the Luxos U itself. The Toplight brake tec has since been released in a revised version where this problem no longer occurs. (It only occurred in a very small number anyway).

2. Q: Water ingress into plug problem?
A: Although this problem only occurred in very few Luxos U headlights our ambition is to have the best quality possible, so the new version of Luxos U has no plug, but the cable enters the light directly through a sealing ring, making water intake at this point impossible.

as posted at YACF.

Andrew

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Aushiker wrote:
BUMM's answers to my questions:

1. Q: Incompatible with some rear lights?
A: The problem of compatibility between Luxos U and Toplight Brake Tec rear light was due to a particular component in a small quantity of Brake Tec lights. It had nothing to do with the functionality of the Luxos U itself. The Toplight brake tec has since been released in a revised version where this problem no longer occurs. (It only occurred in a very small number anyway).

2. Q: Water ingress into plug problem?
A: Although this problem only occurred in very few Luxos U headlights our ambition is to have the best quality possible, so the new version of Luxos U has no plug, but the cable enters the light directly through a sealing ring, making water intake at this point impossible.

as posted at YACF.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:45 pm

As I have just ordered a Luxos U to use on my Thorn, that is good news to hear of :)
Mandatory helmet law?

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:58 pm

Yep I've just got another Luxos U on the way for 126 Euros. Just found somewhere selling them for 101 Euros, either they're getting cheaper or the older version is getting sold off, either way I think I missed out.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:42 am

My Luxos U is going fine, though it has not been exposed to a big downpour, only a sprinkle here and there. I also have no use for the USB cable so its removed and the rubber bung is in.
I think the beam is somewhat exaggerated, its certainly great and puts light exactly where I want it, but some people do carry on about how bright it is. You really do need to have it angled correctly (see pdf on B+M website).

Also, a good tip is that the a supernova multimount works with the Luxos U, use the Luxos bolt and about 3mm of washers as spacers, you'll get more adjustability!

Was a little worried I was going to get the incompatible toplight from bike-discount.de, but thankfully got the pulsating version and have had no issues.
Sure is big and bright, hacked up an underseat rail mount which worked out great.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Crawf wrote:My Luxos U is going fine, though it has not been exposed to a big downpour, only a sprinkle here and there. I also have no use for the USB cable so its removed and the rubber bung is in.
I think the beam is somewhat exaggerated, its certainly great and puts light exactly where I want it, but some people do carry on about how bright it is. You really do need to have it angled correctly (see pdf on B+M website).

Also, a good tip is that the a supernova multimount works with the Luxos U, use the Luxos bolt and about 3mm of washers as spacers, you'll get more adjustability!

Was a little worried I was going to get the incompatible toplight from bike-discount.de, but thankfully got the pulsating version and have had no issues.
Sure is big and bright, hacked up an underseat rail mount which worked out great.
That is a good site Crawf, and thanks for the feedback.
I'm going to order a Luxos U I think when they are back in stock. I have a couple of dark hilly sections on my commute where Kangaroos abound.
I need the extra beam width the Luxos appears to provide. Its false economy going for a cheaper light if it means its beam is not as good and I hit a Kangaroo.

What is the pulsating toplight you are using?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:15 pm

If your commute is somewhat remote with no street lights it will be great, even the best bike lights can be washed out by street lights & car lights.

This is the new taillight, it pulsates when it detects a voltage drop (slow down)
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1005/ ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Crawf wrote:If your commute is somewhat remote with no street lights it will be great, even the best bike lights can be washed out by street lights & car lights.

This is the new taillight, it pulsates when it detects a voltage drop (slow down)
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1005/ ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have some sections of my commute lit by street lights. Other bits have hills and corners through national park/state forest.
Currently using a saferide 80 USB rechargeable light which is doing the job. I've forgotten to charge it a few times though so the reliability of a dyno light will be good.
That tail light looks good, thanks for your help Crawf :)

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Harsh review of the Luxos U in from Wouter:
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... ex_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:05 pm

I must be getting closer to around 1000km by now on my Luxos U, including two reasonably damp 200km rides in the last fortnight. My unit is still ticking along. I have gotten into the safety habit (a laziness euphemism) of leaving the light on during the day on that bike. The luxury of the dyno-life.

Without reading too much of that Dutch guy's review site - I guess it just comes down to reading & believing what you want to really. Political debate anyone?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:35 pm

You bought it.
It works.
Enjoy!
Worrying about it stopping working isnt going to help or improve your day or demeanor.
Nothing lasts forever although led lights do a decent impression.
I have mine switched on all the time too.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:55 pm

rifraf wrote:Worrying about it stopping working isnt going to help or improve your day or demeanor.
Nah it's Okay, Aidan. I just like sticking it up the nay-sayers; especially when it's usually me being the grumble-bum ;)

My point being : it's not all doom & gloom with these units, as much as some people may want to dislike them. J4tH now has two for his fleet and I'm happy with mine - so far.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:51 pm

All good news. Mine is now fitted and running, with a nice Toplight Flat S Plus on the rear. Rode around the block in the wind last night and it sure lit up the road very nicely. The overall beam width that lights your path is at least 3 times as wide as the old Cyo, and the light should be easily seen by others from almost 180 degrees. Not sure about the low speed super-wide beam - I couldn't notice any apparent change as I slowed down. Is it a noticeable thing or have I just missed a gradual shift?
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:58 pm

MattyK wrote:Harsh review of the Luxos U in from Wouter:
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... ex_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lots of good technical stuff and fancy camera shots, however that guy tends to start most of his reviews with a significant personal bias - take it with a grain of salt. I think his rating of the beam of the Phillips.....

....as being comparable to the Luxos B....

....is laughable and shows the level of bias. I certainly know which beam I'd rather use. And this hotspot "problem"??? :? :roll:

Note that the Saferide 60 overexposes the near field as well, just not as badly as the Luxos...
Yeah, really? Sure glad I don't ride with that Saferide then, it looks awfully dim in the near-field already to me.
Mandatory helmet law?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:18 pm

I agree he does seem to favour the philips product to the extent that you would think he is on their payroll.
He talks about the camera representing the light differently to the way our eyes perceive it. Makes you wonder what is the point of the photos in some respects :?
Having said that he raves about the saferide 80's beam pattern and I agree it is very good. However the battery life is too short on high for a forgetful bloke like me.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:35 pm

Yes Wouter does sell lights including the Phillips & I can understand why some people are suspicious, but he strikes me as someone with the fervour of a religious zealot rather than the patter of a shill. If he was in bed with Phillips I don't think he would be recommending & selling B&M taillights.

He certainly has strong opinions on what makes a good beam pattern though. Whether you or I share those opinions are entirely a different matter

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:50 pm

It looks like B&M will release a "Mini Me" version of the Luxos called "Lumotec IQ2 Eyc":

The release slogan seems to be "50 euro for 50 Lux":
http://www.bumm.de/news/detail/article/ ... 2-eyc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There will be three versions:
Lumotec IQ2 Eyc N plus (With stand light)
Lumotec IQ2 Eyc plus (for bottle dynamos)
Lumotec IQ2 Eyc T senso plus (Stand light and day light LED's)

With a suggested price of 50 euro, it will probably sell for even less after some months. Logically it ought to obsolete the IQ2 Cyo RN (40 lux near field) and similar, since it has better specs and are cheaper, but B&M never seem to retire older models though they sometimes tweak them a bit. They still sell their halogen bulb front lights like the "Round" or "Oval", so maybe the IQ Cyo will fall in price, or get "tweaked" with another LED or similar.

Here is a press release with a photo of the "IQ2 Eyc" compared to a euro note:
http://www.pd-f.de/wp-content/uploads/k ... ux_eyc.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Source: YACF

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Quite surprising to see the approach that the Germans take towards bicycle lighting. According to the 2013 Busch & Muller catalogue:
German road traffi c regulations (StVZO) stipulate that if a bicycle is to participate in road traffic, it must among other things be equipped with a headlight offering a light output of at least 10 Lux, as well as a rear light, both of which have to be powered by a dynamo. Racing cycles that weigh no more than 11 kg are an exception: They may participate in traffic using specially approved, battery powered lights (current state of affairs).

So if you are riding any bike that weighs more than 11kg you must have a dynamo lightset fitted :o
Mandatory helmet law?