Prepare for more cyclist hate Qld'ers

marinmomma

Prepare for more cyclist hate Qld'ers

Postby marinmomma » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Prepare for more hate out on the roads Qld'ers...Ch 7 apparently has another story tonight on Cars v's Cyclists and the paying rego dilemma :roll:

Facebook has some interesting comments from the haters...some, as usual, of the disturbing variety describing using their cars and a bowling ball to take out the 'pins' aka cyclists.

Of course the comments make for interesting reading...there is a serious lack of understanding regarding the road rules out there...and grammar but that's for a different forum :wink:
Lisa

Le Mong

Re: Prepare for more cyclist hate Qld'ers

Postby Le Mong » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Link?

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:38 pm

I just followed the link through a friends comment on the photo...I don't follow Ch 7 on Facebook.
Just search Facebook for Seven News Brisbane and you'll find it and their inflammatory comment describing it as 'war' and 225 (at the time of writing) comments...about 200 from ill informed people who can't spell and don't know the road rules :roll:
Lisa

vortex1018

Postby vortex1018 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:05 pm

Please report all comments suggesting running over cyclists and put in credible threat of violence

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Someone at Channel 7 annoyed that they have to share Mt Coot Tha with cyclists? :roll:
Not watching, not going to the facebook page. Screw them. :x
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Not that bad really. Mostly focused on the need to give cyclists a wider berth, but really a non story in the end.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:37 pm

vortex1018 wrote:Please report all comments suggesting running over cyclists and put in credible threat of violence
To Ch 7?

Or to QPS?
Lisa

vortex1018

Postby vortex1018 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:56 pm

marinmomma wrote:
vortex1018 wrote:Please report all comments suggesting running over cyclists and put in credible threat of violence
To Ch 7?

Or to QPS?
I meant on facebook

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:01 pm

For those who haven't seen it. BQld's usual crap made it in again.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/queensla ... mp=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Gobsmacked by this comment by Harlee Rhodes - I would love to play bowling on the road! Use the cyclists as pins and the car as a bowling ball! Get in my way and a strike is wat im gonna get! My mum neally hit an old dude on a bike and without warning he swerved infront of her and she and i neally crashed into a post trying to avoid him! I have never sworn so much at a person before! A road is for cars not <censored> bikes! Get off the road and onto a bike lane or foot path!

Wow, bogan much?

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:40 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:For those who haven't seen it. BQld's usual crap made it in again.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/queensla ... mp=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Um, which part? Serious question.

Am I the only one who thought the last bit of video, where the cyclist tries to filter between parked cars and slow/stopped traffic, showed a cyclist being reckless?

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:27 am

briztoon wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:For those who haven't seen it. BQld's usual crap made it in again.
The part where Ben Wilson is talking about two cyclists "colliding" on a bike path without helmets. We have enough fearmongering from the public and news, we don't need a "cyclist advocate group" making life even worse!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 am

briztoon wrote:

Am I the only one who thought the last bit of video, where the cyclist tries to filter between parked cars and slow/stopped traffic, showed a cyclist being reckless?
Well, I didn't think it was reckless - that's how the bike lanes are set up here in the CBD - with the door zone covering most of the bike lane in some sections in the city - there is no other way to move in peak hour city traffic. You just have to moderate your speed and go slowly as you filter between the parked cars and peak hour traffic.

So no, I didn't think it was reckless behaviour. It would only be reckless, IMO, if he was going 30kph or thereabouts through that sort of gap.

Yes, the BQld comments were stupid. There was something about there being more bikes than cars in QLD meaning that allowing them on the road or something would be stupid...??? I clearly didn't hear that part right. :|

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:18 am

In the outer suburbs you cant even use the bike lanes because there is that much broken glass and rocks in them you would need a new set of tyres each ride.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:36 pm

A bit peripheral to the topic but in the scheme of things perhaps related.
Television, a bit like the internet, is much faster now with lots of channels and big screens.
So the technology has improved but the content is definitely not improving.
Nothing against channel 7 specifically i like some of their shows but since we got digital TV the ads seem longer + more painful.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Summernight wrote: Yes, the BQld comments were stupid. There was something about there being more bikes than cars in QLD meaning that allowing them on the road or something would be stupid...??? I clearly didn't hear that part right. :|
He was talking about bike registration and how much of an administrative nightmare it would be.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Bah77 wrote:
Summernight wrote: Yes, the BQld comments were stupid. There was something about there being more bikes than cars in QLD meaning that allowing them on the road or something would be stupid...??? I clearly didn't hear that part right. :|
He was talking about bike registration and how much of an administrative nightmare it would be.
Glad to hear I heard it wrong then (my work computer's speakers face away from my desk). :)

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:17 pm

The segment covered a number of topics, one being that cyclists may not need to wear helmets when NOT riding on the road, i.e cycling paths, shared paths, and board walks along the river (like where the segment was filmed). The BQld guy definitely said something about this not being a good idea as two cyclists hitting each other head on had the potential to cause some serious injuries or fatalities.

My main concern was with the language used at the beginning of the segment. I don't think calling it a war does anyone any favours. It's the type of language that can incite people.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:56 pm

The idea of not wearing a helmet if you're not on the road is what they have in the Northern Territory, and you can ride on the footpath. Consequently plenty of people don't wear helmets, even when riding in the road.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:02 pm

briztoon wrote:My main concern was with the language used at the beginning of the segment. I don't think calling it a war does anyone any favours. It's the type of language that can incite people.
+1 mine too.

And the thing is, its not a war out there. Most interactions are fine. Most cyclists I see are behaving themselves. Most car drivers are behaving themselves (although based on news story comments, I'd say some of those are tempted not to). There's a minority of tools in both sets that create the problems. Its not a "war".

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Then Triple M added more fuel to the fire this morning....its on Facebook again.
There are some real hateful/ vengeful comments there along the lines of the one mentioned above....Triple M have added additional comments to the post which wasn't there this morning...
There is also a link to the discussion between the three jocks on the morning program, Greg Martin is pro-cyclist as he is one but the other two were out-right haters throwing more fuel on to the said fire....
Lisa

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:00 am

The most ridiculous part of this entire registration concept is that surely the economics of setting up a registration scheme are simply not viable, ie. it will cost more money to manage and operate a bicycle registration system than the system will ever make in income. Then there's the other rational argument of how much police time will be tied up in enforcing bicycle registration. It's just a show pony, emotional story cooked up by some of Channel 7's "finest" minds in order to make everyone talk about it and possibly sell some advertising, don't buy into their irrational argument I reckon.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Paddles wrote:The most ridiculous part of this entire registration concept is that surely the economics of setting up a registration scheme are simply not viable, ie. it will cost more money to manage and operate a bicycle registration system than the system will ever make in income.
No, it's simple and inexpensive actually. Just add it on to car registration records - each owner of a registered vehicle allowed say five bikes to cover the entire family. Cost of registration for bike owners who don't have a car and not covered by family registration to be borne across the system.

Motorists won't be able moan, and the best part is they will be paying for it. :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Not to mention I'll be planting my fat ass smack bang in the middle of the lane :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Not to mention I'll be planting my fat ass smack bang in the middle of the lane :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's nothing to you Luke, they'd still get around you!
Racing C grade on Saturday???
Lisa