How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

User avatar
kb
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby kb » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:25 am

kb wrote:
kb wrote:
P!N20 wrote:Left Melbourne northside in rain and rivers for bike paths. Arrived in CBD with dry roads feeling a little over dressed.

Pipe bridge was wet though. Over cooked it on the slight bend after the ramp and the back wheel slid over the wet steel. Lost a bit of knuckle skin against the chain link fence.

And 8 hours later I’m thinking may have sprained the other wrist :-(. Wonder if I can change toddler clothes one handed?

X-ray came up clear but pain is around scaphoid and breaks there present later so plastered up and another X-ray in a week. At least it wasn’t being hit in the head by a car this time :-/
Image

User avatar
P!N20
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby P!N20 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:33 am

kb wrote:X-ray came up clear but pain is around scaphoid and breaks there present later so plastered up and another X-ray in a week. At least it wasn’t being hit in the head by a car this time :-/


Ah geez, that's rough.

jasonc
Posts: 9909
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:47 am

Nasty kb
Image

User avatar
P!N20
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby P!N20 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Any Sydney commuters today?

4xsama
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby 4xsama » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:30 pm

P!N20 wrote:Any Sydney commuters today?


I caught the train but am waiting for comments from those made of sterner stuff to appear.
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Not this black duck - I thought about the places on my commute that would flood this morning, saw forecasts of 60-90 k headwinds on the way home & went nope, I am working from home today

& now they are adding a hail warning for extra excitement

caneye
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:32 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby caneye » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:08 pm

P!N20 wrote:Any Sydney commuters today?


nope. work from home today.

the dawn thunderstorm startled my dogs and they barged into our room at 5 :roll:
i decided to make a quick dash into macquarie park (taking the bus) to grab my notebook to work from home. i was back by 830 and avoided the worse weather and traffic at the same time.

i did see a guy cycling on the M2 east-bound with short sleeve and no waterproof gear .. heading straight into the Macq Park storm cell :shock:

User avatar
queequeg
Posts: 5394
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby queequeg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:35 pm

caneye wrote:
P!N20 wrote:Any Sydney commuters today?


nope. work from home today.

the dawn thunderstorm startled my dogs and they barged into our room at 5 :roll:
i decided to make a quick dash into macquarie park (taking the bus) to grab my notebook to work from home. i was back by 830 and avoided the worse weather and traffic at the same time.

i did see a guy cycling on the M2 east-bound with short sleeve and no waterproof gear .. heading straight into the Macq Park storm cell :shock:


I promise, it wasn't me. My commuter bike is missing a rear brake while I wait for a bleed kit to show up. I saw the photos of the flood on the M2 (with floating cars), as well as the river running down Lane Cove Rd that caused it. Saw pics of the Lane Cove Weir as well....and I'd loive to know if anyone chanced a crossing of Browns Waterhole. The last time we had rain like this I was living in Marsfield, and my neighbour's house was flooded with shin deep water. We spent hours pushing all the water out. I later went and checked Browns Waterhole for damage and found items like solid picnic benches had been washed away, and the waterline was about 5m above the Weir!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

User avatar
ozipom
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: Maroubra, NSW

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby ozipom » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Well that was a fun ride today in Sydney. Usually ride via the beaches (Maroubra and Coogee) around 7am each morning. Not today, rain was torrential. So held off until 8am and took the more direct route along Anzac Pde. Traffic lights out, cars and buses not moving and storm water drains were backing up!

Not a problem on the bike and got to enjoy a hot shower at work and dry clothes :) Tip for cycling in the rain is to wear sandals, don't have waterlogged shoes at the end of the ride.

My colleagues in the office were coming in like drenched rats with stories of cancelled trains, horrid traffic.

Left the office around 4pm and repeated the ride home. A bit of a headwind all the way to Maroubra. Gave the bike a good wipe down, as picked up a fair bit of crap from the road.

Very happy I rode in today, but hoping for a nicer day tomorrow :)
- Brian

Surly Ogre
Avanti Vivace 2009
Long Haul Trucker
Bike Friday - Pocket Llama
Link to my Tours around Australia

jasonc
Posts: 9909
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:21 pm

Respect ozipom.
Nasty head wind and hot in Brisbane this afternoon. 40+km/h with 50+km/h gusts. Debris everywhere
Image

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 2502
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby DavidS » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Lot's of wind in Melbourne, but at least I wasn't in Sydney :o

DS
Image

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

4xsama
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby 4xsama » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:18 am

Nice ride in today. A bit of rain but wasn't pissing down like yesterday. All the glass from a prang (last week) at Timbrell Drive and City West Link Rd was washed away. Hopefully the bike lane on Lilyfield Rd will be clean too.

The cyclepath next to Victoria Rd (just before the Anzac Bridge) looked lethal with all of the foliage and mud washed onto it and sitting in pretty deep looking piles. I took this section very carefully. Probably wont be cleaned up for weeks either.
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19289
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:53 am

ozipom wrote:Well that was a fun ride today in Sydney. Usually ride via the beaches (Maroubra and Coogee) around 7am each morning. Not today, rain was torrential. So held off until 8am and took the more direct route along Anzac Pde. Traffic lights out, cars and buses not moving and storm water drains were backing up!

Not a problem on the bike and got to enjoy a hot shower at work and dry clothes :) Tip for cycling in the rain is to wear sandals, don't have waterlogged shoes at the end of the ride.

My colleagues in the office were coming in like drenched rats with stories of cancelled trains, horrid traffic.

Left the office around 4pm and repeated the ride home. A bit of a headwind all the way to Maroubra. Gave the bike a good wipe down, as picked up a fair bit of crap from the road.

Very happy I rode in today, but hoping for a nicer day tomorrow :)

You made the right choice to ride. I left Maroubra junction at 7.15am. At 9.20am I was on the flyover over Darling harbour. Gave up trying to get to my next job (Sydney Olympic Park) and drove home (Tempe). That's 2 hours and 40 minutes I'm never getting back
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:34 am

I bow before ozipom, tougher than me. Lots of post flooding debris on the way in today

User avatar
g-boaf
Posts: 10003
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:13 pm

4xsama wrote:Nice ride in today. A bit of rain but wasn't pissing down like yesterday. All the glass from a prang (last week) at Timbrell Drive and City West Link Rd was washed away. Hopefully the bike lane on Lilyfield Rd will be clean too.

The cyclepath next to Victoria Rd (just before the Anzac Bridge) looked lethal with all of the foliage and mud washed onto it and sitting in pretty deep looking piles. I took this section very carefully. Probably wont be cleaned up for weeks either.


I had a lot of debris to deal with out west as well on my commute in. I just rode slowly today - average 26km/h, took it careful through the corners. Just too risky. I also got rained on, but not very heavy.

4xsama
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby 4xsama » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:23 pm

g-boaf wrote:
4xsama wrote:Nice ride in today. A bit of rain but wasn't pissing down like yesterday. All the glass from a prang (last week) at Timbrell Drive and City West Link Rd was washed away. Hopefully the bike lane on Lilyfield Rd will be clean too.

The cyclepath next to Victoria Rd (just before the Anzac Bridge) looked lethal with all of the foliage and mud washed onto it and sitting in pretty deep looking piles. I took this section very carefully. Probably wont be cleaned up for weeks either.


I had a lot of debris to deal with out west as well on my commute in. I just rode slowly today - average 26km/h, took it careful through the corners. Just too risky. I also got rained on, but not very heavy.


I was grateful for a bit of breeze over the Anzac Bridge this morning. On Tuesday it was really still and the vehicle exhaust seemed to hang in the air. Today was just a really nice ride. I also got a bit wet but only for 10-15 minutes or so but it still beat the hell out of the train.

Cheers
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

User avatar
nickobec
Posts: 1913
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Perth or 42km south as the singlespeed flies
Contact:

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:29 pm

Meanwhile in Perth fine, sunny and a moderate southerly. So flew into the city in excess of 35kph even with a 2km detour (The official road works detour is over 4km). The bunch ride at the end was a slog at 25kph into the wind, before setting a couple of PBs on the return leg.

4xsama
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby 4xsama » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:48 pm

A couple of riders almost came to blows yesterday. Was at the Pyrmont Bridge/Murray St intersection when a guy on a share bike (on the phone and holding a suit jacket) cut off a guy on an E-Bike as the crossing lights went green. Directly rode in front as E-Bike was setting off. Guy on E-Bike clipped share bike guy on the way past outside Pyrmont Hotel. Guy on share bike gave E-Bike a gentle kick when E-Bike was stopped to wait for lights at Union/Edward Sts. Verballing ensued. Both were being tw*ts.

I don't think share guy was a regular rider but E-Bike was a bit out of line too. I guess an issue with E-Bikes, or at least this rider (and I'm not an E-Bike hater I might add) is that they can fly up the hills past everyone and then you overtake on the flat/downhill. I was thinking this on the way home last night and I felt I was sounding just like a motorists 'the problem with bikes at traffic lights is...........'.

I was also thinking to myself 'would I ever buy an E-Bike?' Without going into the pro/cons of E-Bikes I probably wouldn't.
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

User avatar
Lizzy
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:04 pm
Location: Wild West

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lizzy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:22 pm

Got to the Karrinyup Rd crossing lights this morning, only to find that a super-genius model citizen had levelled them overnight. I have a pre-programmed drinks break there, so even though my eyes were looking at the actual light itself smashed and mangled on the ground, I still stood there sipping away, contemplating life and the universe while waiting for it to turn green (I'm weird that way). Only after I'd finished about half the bottle did my conscious mind take the helm and make me realise I was probably going to be waiting a while ... :oops:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; RIP “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX - 2006-2018

User avatar
P!N20
Posts: 976
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby P!N20 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:06 pm

4xsama wrote:I was also thinking to myself 'would I ever buy an E-Bike?' Without going into the pro/cons of E-Bikes I probably wouldn't.


If you're having such thoughts, you probably will.

4xsama
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby 4xsama » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 am

Was at the intersection of Pyrmont and Union St this morning around 6.30 waiting for the lights to change. A bird was wandering across in front. The guy behind me said 'Why did the Bin Chook cross the road'. Perfect timing and pretty funny. Well played sir.
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

apollo95
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:19 am

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby apollo95 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:52 pm

My commute from Berwick to Scoresby today, on my CX bike. Initially I had a thin spray jacket on, but 15mins into the mute I had to take it off and stash it! Very strong gusty headwinds made it challenging and seemed sluggish. A lot like most of the days last week, windy AF!

jasonc
Posts: 9909
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Commute home may be the long way due to a police incident that has closed the bicentennial bike way...
Image

apollo95
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:19 am

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby apollo95 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:16 pm

Windy , my mate here at work told me about this site to check the weather conditions
Amazing!
https://www.windy.com

jasonc
Posts: 9909
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:09 pm

jasonc wrote:Commute home may be the long way due to a police incident that has closed the bicentennial bike way...

Was fine in the end. About 800m extra for the diversion
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users