Cycle Chic

Ross

Re: Cycle Chic

Postby Ross » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am

^Not wanting to take away the "chicness" of the lady above but a mini skirt isn't the most practical item of clothing for a female to wear while cyling and thongs/sandals can be problemetic from a safety POV. Also while we are on the subject of safety I'd be a bit concerned about the hand bag slipping off the shoulder and she would be better off to strap the flowers to the rack rather than trying to clutch them in one hand and hold the handlebars and squeeze the brake lever and signal a turn. And what's that purple thing dangling off the handlebars, a bike lock maybe? That needs to be secured rather than waiting to fall off and get caught in the spokes.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:52 am

Ross wrote:and thongs/sandals can be problemetic from a safety POV. Also while we are on the subject of safety ...

All I can say from a safety POV is: "Welcome to Holland!" where cycling is considered to be just a more effective form of walking (rather than a risky, sporty activity).

And that lady wouldn't get a second glance yet their cycling injury rates are well below everybody else's.

ps- that does look like a lock.
pps - click through and read the article.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Probably has a top speed of 15kph, so if any of the noted issues happened she could simply stop
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:28 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Probably has a top speed of 15kph, so if any of the noted issues happened she could simply stop

I was riding at walking pace with a bag dangling from my handlebars and it slipped off and caught in the spokes and I stopped - when my head hit the ground after going over the handlebars

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:16 pm

Ross wrote:I was riding at walking pace with a bag dangling from my handlebars and it slipped off and caught in the spokes and I stopped - when my head hit the ground after going over the handlebars

You clutz! I think I was about nine the last time I fell for that (fishing rod that time)

Did you remember to say your "OMG MY HELMET SAVED ME!" three times while genuflecting in the direction of the Victorian College of Surgeons :D :D

Anyway, back to the topic at hand
The Guardian has a set of fashion shots from the '30s up at the moment, including this one. I'd have saved it for next month but it may be ephemeral.

I love the paint and the handlebars. And the chain guard. And the stand. And the posing is just, well, so charming. The outfit, on the other hand....
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Thoglette wrote:
I love the paint and the handlebars. And the chain guard. And the stand. And the posing is just, well, so charming. The outfit, on the other hand....

No - those shoes are very, very cool.