The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5910
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby biker jk » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:33 pm


TheWall
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby TheWall » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:10 pm

How do I convince some of my riding buddies to not ride right on the white line...we have some generous bike lanes but they insist on sticking way to the right...make it very hard for cars to give a metre+ and also to pass them safely...I have been resorting to letting them sit on the front for ages and then they throw a tantrum about me not taking my turn he he..."well if you kept left..." he he

jasonc
Posts: 9471
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 pm

I've done a couple of rides on the sunny coast this week. I ride where they do - debris - i don't want punctures
Image

TheWall
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby TheWall » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:00 pm

jasonc wrote:I've done a couple of rides on the sunny coast this week. I ride where they do - debris - i don't want punctures


I do realise this is the stupidest thing a cyclist could EVER say BUT...I have not had a puncture for about 6months...cannot say the same for my buddies :lol:

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18510
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:43 pm

TheWall wrote:
jasonc wrote:I've done a couple of rides on the sunny coast this week. I ride where they do - debris - i don't want punctures


I do realise this is the stupidest thing a cyclist could EVER say BUT...I have not had a puncture for about 6months...cannot say the same for my buddies :lol:


You should buy a lottery ticket :)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

TheWall
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby TheWall » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:46 pm

^^^^ bit nervous about tomorrow's ride! :lol:

fishwop
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: St Marys NSW

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby fishwop » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:54 am

Cyclists should have the same rules as cars,” came one comment on Facebook.

"Be fined the same as well. This guy went on a red, cut off a car and then a hit and run. He needs to have his bike impounded for all that."


I got a laugh out of this. Motorists who have accidents from running red lights get their cars impounded all the time, right.

No-one hurt. He deserves a ticket if they can identify him but that's all.

User avatar
Biffidus
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: RADelaide

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Biffidus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Replacing that bike would be cheaper than a ticket I reckon...

NhiTrac
Posts: 641
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:58 pm
Location: Chatswood, NSW

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby NhiTrac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Saw a guy riding northbound on the Sydney Harbour Bridge this afternoon, in the car lane! Didn’t look like a lost tourist as he was on a roadie with clip ins.

Sigh
FOCUS Cayo Expert

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:41 pm

NhiTrac wrote:Saw a guy riding northbound on the Sydney Harbour Bridge this afternoon, in the car lane! Didn’t look like a lost tourist as he was on a roadie with clip ins.

Sigh

A tourist with a hired road bike, perhaps?

Sully
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:41 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Sully » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm

what about the idiot we shared the road with this morning. In the 15 klm we shared the road with him he ran three red lights and rode in front of two cars pulling out of car parks.
This tosser makes us all look bad.

g-boaf
Posts: 8975
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Sully wrote: and rode in front of two cars pulling out of car parks.


Hmm, are you saying two cars were coming out of a car park and the rider didn't stop to let them exit the car park, or something else? :?

TheWall wrote:How do I convince some of my riding buddies to not ride right on the white line...we have some generous bike lanes but they insist on sticking way to the right...make it very hard for cars to give a metre+ and also to pass them safely...I have been resorting to letting them sit on the front for ages and then they throw a tantrum about me not taking my turn he he..."well if you kept left..." he he



The reason they ride near the white line is because there is a lot less debris and rubbish in that location. That's to stop punctures. When you ride a heck of a lot on roads like that, especially ones where those shoulders or bike lanes aren't regularly swept it is something you learn quickly. Otherwise you are avoiding stones, bits of smashed glass, nails, bolts, bits of wire, bits of tyre and even blocks of wood, pretty much anything really that is not good for a bicycle.

TheWall
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby TheWall » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:14 pm

TheWall wrote:How do I convince some of my riding buddies to not ride right on the white line...we have some generous bike lanes but they insist on sticking way to the right...make it very hard for cars to give a metre+ and also to pass them safely...I have been resorting to letting them sit on the front for ages and then they throw a tantrum about me not taking my turn he he..."well if you kept left..." he he



The reason they ride near the white line is because there is a lot less debris and rubbish in that location. That's to stop punctures. When you ride a heck of a lot on roads like that, especially ones where those shoulders or bike lanes aren't regularly swept it is something you learn quickly. Otherwise you are avoiding stones, bits of smashed glass, nails, bolts, bits of wire, bits of tyre and even blocks of wood, pretty much anything really that is not good for a bicycle.[/quote]


Full understand that G-Boaf - this is a road we ride 3-4 times a week. Debris is something it rarely has. Punctures are rare and we know where all of the problem areas are and we ride accordingly. The main culprit here has done a lot of swimming in his time. He has just swapped the black for white... :lol:

Sully
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:41 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Sully » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:33 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sully wrote: and rode in front of two cars pulling out of car parks.


Hmm, are you saying two cars were coming out of a car park and the rider didn't stop to let them exit the car park, or something else? :?


No. After they had pulled out and were about to move forward to move off he rode in front of them.

BJL
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby BJL » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:48 pm

Sully wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Sully wrote: and rode in front of two cars pulling out of car parks.


Hmm, are you saying two cars were coming out of a car park and the rider didn't stop to let them exit the car park, or something else? :?


No. After they had pulled out and were about to move forward to move off he rode in front of them.


I'm failing to understand this too. A motorist pulling out of a car park (either on road or off road), has to give way to ALL traffic on the road they're pulling out onto. If a cyclist rode in front of two cars pulling out of car parks, all I see is two cars that have failed to give way.

Sully
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:41 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Sully » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:53 pm

BJL wrote:
Sully wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Hmm, are you saying two cars were coming out of a car park and the rider didn't stop to let them exit the car park, or something else? :?


No. After they had pulled out and were about to move forward to move off he rode in front of them.


I'm failing to understand this too. A motorist pulling out of a car park (either on road or off road), has to give way to ALL traffic on the road they're pulling out onto. If a cyclist rode in front of two cars pulling out of car parks, all I see is two cars that have failed to give way.

He actually filtered past other cars to do it so no there was no failure to give way.

nezumi
Posts: 960
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Eltham, Melbourne

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby nezumi » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:59 pm

Sully wrote:
BJL wrote:
Sully wrote:
No. After they had pulled out and were about to move forward to move off he rode in front of them.


I'm failing to understand this too. A motorist pulling out of a car park (either on road or off road), has to give way to ALL traffic on the road they're pulling out onto. If a cyclist rode in front of two cars pulling out of car parks, all I see is two cars that have failed to give way.

He actually filtered past other cars to do it so no there was no failure to give way.


As long as the cyclist is moving in the roadway and is legally allowed to be there, then any vehicle entering the roadway has to give way.

I see this a lot when riding in "bike lanes" (the kind that are only paint, and offer all of the motorist rage with none of the legal protection), where I am legally passing slow moving cars and a driver either attempts to pull out in front of me, or has just stopped with the nose of their car covering most of the "lane".
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Sully
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:41 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Sully » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:56 am

So your telling me if you came across a car pulling out in a tight car park and other cars waiting for him, you'd ride straight past them and in front of the car pulling out becaude he should have seen through the cars and seen you coming and given way?

AdelaidePeter
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:22 am

Hmm, perhaps there's an obvious law I'm missing, but I'm not sure about this one.

If there is a bicycle lane, clearly the car has to give way.

But if there is no bicycle lane and the bicycle is "filtering" between lanes (or to the left of the leftmost lane) through stationary traffic, I'm not sure of the status. Because it's one thing to filter through stationary traffic, but a car pulling out of a car park is not stationary. So who gives way, legally? (More confusing is I can't find anything on "filtering" in the Australian Road Rules, so it might vary from state to state).

User avatar
antigee
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:58 am
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby antigee » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:39 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:Hmm, perhaps there's an obvious law I'm missing, but I'm not sure about this one.

If there is a bicycle lane, clearly the car has to give way.

But if there is no bicycle lane and the bicycle is "filtering" between lanes (or to the left of the leftmost lane) through stationary traffic, I'm not sure of the status. Because it's one thing to filter through stationary traffic, but a car pulling out of a car park is not stationary. So who gives way, legally? (More confusing is I can't find anything on "filtering" in the Australian Road Rules, so it might vary from state to state).


one of those situations where I would give way as it would endanger me to do otherwise but we all see some cyclists that plough on regardless, same as some drivers do - i do get fed up with drivers nosing vehicles out at speed into cycle lanes or completely ignoring the possibility that a cyclist may be filtering in the unused section of a "parking lane" - my impression is that a right cross over collision with a hidden oncoming car will always be the turning drivers fault - when a car driver is turning across or into traffic and fails to spot a cyclist then it becomes the fault of the cyclist for not being cautious enough

i believe a lot of people would have a different viewpoint if you swop motorbike and rider for cyclist - seems odd to me that law was changed in Victoria to allow motorbikes to filter "when safe to do so" simply because the law was constantly broken - I presume at some point motorbikes will get similar right to use cycle lanes simply because they can and do (Ok there are some good guys and gals out there) Victorian road rules allow motorbikes to filter at speeds up to 30km/h - a speed which many drivers would describe as "fast" if they pull out on you when you are pedalling away and approaching that sort of speed

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... -filtering

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7100
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 am

NhiTrac wrote:Saw a guy riding northbound on the Sydney Harbour Bridge this afternoon, in the car lane! Didn’t look like a lost tourist as he was on a roadie with clip ins.
And today saw a pedestrian crossing the bridge. It took 5 cops to apprehended the offender

Image

User avatar
PA
Posts: 1091
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:08 pm
Location: South Australia

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby PA » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:55 am

Must be a tail to tell regarding that story.
In the morning, we RIDE.

g-boaf
Posts: 8975
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 am

I guess that commuter thought the bridge was just a hop, skip and a jump in comparison to the other options.

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:17 pm

I can almost hear the police conversation when they got the phone call: "Sounds great. Will wallaby there?".

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7100
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:I can almost hear the police conversation when they got the phone call: "Sounds great. Will wallaby there?".

& if anyone mentions Boomer's wife, it will be time to go Anna. :wink:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users