The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

AdelaidePeter
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:16 am

P!N20 wrote:I was more amused by the 'no trucks' sign on the left!

Although the bottom half of the sign is obscured, so maybe it's no left turn for trucks.


Correct. Pause the video soon after the truck first moves (around 0:26) and you'll see.

User avatar
antigee
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:58 am
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby antigee » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:41 am

pj wrote:Maybe I'm just really risk adverse but I thought this was pretty dumb....



personally I wouldn't go up the side of any truck .......and if you had to list truck types to keep a very close watch on skip trucks would be top of the list for me closely followed by scaffolders and garbage trucks and since moving to melbourne catering suppliers

at 27 secs you can see how narrow the gap was and then you see them held up by crossing peds' anyway def' dumb

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18996
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:21 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
P!N20 wrote:I was more amused by the 'no trucks' sign on the left!

Although the bottom half of the sign is obscured, so maybe it's no left turn for trucks.


Correct. Pause the video soon after the truck first moves (around 0:26) and you'll see.


Just because there is a no left turn for trucks sign and the truck not displaying an indicator doesn't mean that the truck wouldn't turn left
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
pj
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:36 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby pj » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:19 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
P!N20 wrote:I was more amused by the 'no trucks' sign on the left!

Although the bottom half of the sign is obscured, so maybe it's no left turn for trucks.


Correct. Pause the video soon after the truck first moves (around 0:26) and you'll see.


Just because there is a no left turn for trucks sign and the truck not displaying an indicator doesn't mean that the truck wouldn't turn left


Yes exactly this is Sydney!

The space between the truck and kerb isn't very visible with the wide angle lens, it was pretty tight. The rider had to lean his bike to get past the back corner of the truck. I would definitely not want to be caught up the side when the lights went green, even with the truck travelling straight ahead there would be a high chance of getting clipped. Yes he had 10-15 seconds but why risk it with your kid on the back.

TheWall
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby TheWall » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:25 pm

^^MGIF!

jasonc
Posts: 9744
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Image

User avatar
P!N20
Posts: 816
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby P!N20 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:39 pm

^ Glad you're OK.

jasonc
Posts: 9744
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:42 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ Glad you're OK.

Not a biggy, still be the most intelligent way to ride
Image

duncanm
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby duncanm » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:06 pm

pj wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
Correct. Pause the video soon after the truck first moves (around 0:26) and you'll see.


Just because there is a no left turn for trucks sign and the truck not displaying an indicator doesn't mean that the truck wouldn't turn left


Yes exactly this is Sydney!


or maybe the truck has a permit to drive down that route.

Either way - incredibly Darwinian to ride down next to a truck like that.

jasonc
Posts: 9744
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:32 pm



Image
Image

User avatar
pj
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:36 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby pj » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:49 pm

jasonc wrote:

Image


Can't see anyone, even on full screen!

g-boaf
Posts: 9672
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:12 pm

pj wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Image


Can't see anyone, even on full screen!


Even doing levels adjustment in photoshop, I couldn't see anyone. See, this is why pedestrians need registration and lights. :wink:

jasonc
Posts: 9744
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:54 pm

They were wearing dark clothes. On a bike only path. But it's ok, cyclists are the problem
Image

Waccofozzy
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane Western Suburbs

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Waccofozzy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:00 pm

I have only picked someone up in that area because they were sucking on a ciggy. Thought it was a firefly for a bit
I have OFS - Old, Fat and Slow

jasonc
Posts: 9744
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Worst one I've seen (or haven't seen). Just crazy
Image

Jmuzz
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:44 pm

g-boaf wrote: See, this is why pedestrians need registration and lights. :wink:


I've been tempted to throw my emergency backup taillight at a few and tell them to clip it on their bum.

Would be good to have "Be a bright spark, wear reflective and carry a light" on safety signs along paths.
The iron on reflective tape is cheap and doesn't take much to glow with the slightest light and USB flashers are $2

I'm not sure what the thought process is for someone who decides "I'm going walking on the path tonight, think I will wear my all black hoodie tracksuit outfit because ninjas are cool"

jasonc
Posts: 9744
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:25 am

Jmuzz wrote:I'm not sure what the thought process is for someone who decides "I'm going walking on the path tonight, think I will wear my all black hoodie tracksuit outfit because ninjas are cool"

they don't do the word I bolded
Image

RobertL
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby RobertL » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Jmuzz wrote:
g-boaf wrote: See, this is why pedestrians need registration and lights. :wink:


I've been tempted to throw my emergency backup taillight at a few and tell them to clip it on their bum.

Would be good to have "Be a bright spark, wear reflective and carry a light" on safety signs along paths.
The iron on reflective tape is cheap and doesn't take much to glow with the slightest light and USB flashers are $2

I'm not sure what the thought process is for someone who decides "I'm going walking on the path tonight, think I will wear my all black hoodie tracksuit outfit because ninjas are cool"


I saw a woman walking along a dark bikepath one night, dressed in darkish business clothes. However, she was carrying her mobile phone with the screen illuminated, swinging in her hand, which made her sufficiently visible. For someone walking along a short section of unlit path I thought that it was a pretty good solution.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users