The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Ross

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ross » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:44 am

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:59 am

I survived my youth :shock:
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:31 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
I survived my youth :shock:
:wink: Those were the days, although a mate broke his arm when the bus stopped and he didn't. Hard to not jump on the back of a bus or truck these days, but must set a good example for the son :)

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:46 pm

YOLO vs FOMO :P

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Was riding the shared path through the local wetlands today.
A roadie was approaching me on a section with a lot of bends....with his head down not paying attention.
We're about 10 meters from passing, and he's still got his head down and he has drifted onto my side.
I am about to give him a serve he won't forget...3,2,1.....and then he lifts his head as I am about to bite it off.
He was old enough to know better, and from his kit and bike, experienced enough to know not to day dream for extended periods, especially on winding paths. Serious commuters with a 20+km each way ride use this path, so you do come across guys regularly giving it stick.

On a nice finish, there were lots of young families out on the shared bike paths today. Lovely to see.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:14 pm

CKinnard wrote:Was riding the shared path through the local wetlands today.
A roadie was approaching me on a section with a lot of bends....with his head down not paying attention.
We're about 10 meters from passing, and he's still got his head down and he has drifted onto my side.
I am about to give him a serve he won't forget...3,2,1.....and then he lifts his head as I am about to bite it off.
He was old enough to know better, and from his kit and bike, experienced enough to know not to day dream for extended periods, especially on winding paths. Serious commuters with a 20+km each way ride use this path, so you do come across guys regularly giving it stick.

On a nice finish, there were lots of young families out on the shared bike paths today. Lovely to see.
I've mentioned this before in several places, but the tip that I've learned is to yell out in a clear voice, "Heads up". It's a non-inflammatory, non-accusatory (mostly) way of letting a cyclist or pedestrian know that you've seen them doing something dodgy but that they haven't seen you.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:45 pm

RobertL wrote: I've mentioned this before in several places, but the tip that I've learned is to yell out in a clear voice, "Heads up". It's a non-inflammatory, non-accusatory (mostly) way of letting a cyclist or pedestrian know that you've seen them doing something dodgy but that they haven't seen you.
yes agree. that's my usual choice. though I suppose sometimes I am curious to observe another's behavior.
I had a mate years ago who took off at speed on the wrong side of a shared path along Coro Drive in Brisbane....he had his head down long enough not to see the two approaching young roadies....one of them eventually took his head off with a stream of high energy abuse. I was reluctant to ride with that mate after that, though he did admit soon after that he deserved the serve. Sometimes I think it takes a shock and awe level of abuse to smack people out of bad habits.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:59 pm

"look up to live" is the one I use

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:35 pm

only time had that shouted at me i thought was a bit cheeky: cyclist turning towards city on Yarra trail near Kew Billabong - its a right angled exit from the freeway underpass - with give way markings - cyclist exited blind and fast coming onto the outward bound side of the trail which i was using to complete their turn - shouting "heads up" as I braked to avoid collision wasn't really helpful - no I hadn't seen them until almost too late but that was hardly surprising I don't have x - ray capability

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:04 am

[Mod Says] I moved posts on the "Brisbane cyclist left with fractured ankle in clash with pedestrian on footpath" to Queensland Cyclist Assaulted by Pedestrian to keep the discussion in one place.[/Mod]

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Not worthy of its own thread, so I've posted it here. Apparently pedestrians are a menace LOL :roll: :wink: :lol: http://www.thecivilian.co.nz/crackdown- ... J6Zh8Mb8BI

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:34 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Not worthy of its own thread, so I've posted it here. Apparently pedestrians are a menace LOL :roll: :wink: :lol: http://www.thecivilian.co.nz/crackdown- ... J6Zh8Mb8BI
“Pedestrians are a menace. I’ve always said this. There’s simply too many of them, taking up too much space where there should be cars and the occasional yacht.

:lol:
Go!Run!GAH!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:26 am

Here's today's handy hint - if you don't like cyclists, try not walking on the bike path :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:28 am

find_bruce wrote:Here's today's handy hint - if you don't like cyclists, try not walking on the bike path :roll:
Just compliment them on their nice bike

pj

Postby pj » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:28 am

Luckily only cruising slowly....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

pj wrote:

They should be registered and required to wear full face motocycle helmets :lol:

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:36 am

that's a ninja ped in akubra! :twisted:
mikesbytes wrote: They should be registered and required to wear full face motocycle helmets :lol:
The ones with puffy jackets... is that like airbags for other road users? :twisted:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:19 pm

pj wrote:

Another hazard of the riding on the ‘wrong side of the road’ cycle path.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:33 pm

pj wrote: Luckily only cruising slowly....
Geez you cant do anything but cruise slowly. Thats just mad design having PSP between parking and footpath :roll:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:17 pm

NASHIE wrote:
Geez you cant do anything but cruise slowly. Thats just mad design having PSP between parking and footpath :roll:
It's better than having the parking between the bike path and the footpath :(

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:28 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
NASHIE wrote:
It's better than having the parking between the bike path and the footpath :(
Agree to disagree. There is no way i would ride that path at any pace other than sub 15kph. How many peds and kids running from cars to path must get cleaned up. If you have bikes in the oncoming lane you have no get out of jail card, you just have to hit the ped/door etc. A dual lane path like this road side is also very poor, but a single lane bike path road side gives much vision ie your only looking out for doors/peds on your left

pj

Postby pj » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:09 pm

After this he walked straight out in front of a car while shouting "get the f*** out of my way", not sure if it was directed at me or the car.

Anyway I reckon he is already registered somewhere....just needs to wear his bell now so we known when he is approaching.

Yeah can't do much more than 10 or 15 on these, I guess they are good for town bikes and families out cruising, usually I would be on the road but it was bloody hot that day :P

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:25 pm

NASHIE wrote:Geez you cant do anything but cruise slowly. Thats just mad design having PSP between parking and footpath :roll:
It isn't a PSP, it might sound nitpicky but there are significant differences, most notably is the second letter in PSP.
mikesbytes wrote:It's better than having the parking between the bike path and the footpath :(
Agreed.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:07 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... n4sox.html

Vic not NSW and only one way bike lane, but heaps safer on the road as the rider does than chancing the gutter bike lane between parking and path, dual lane twice as risky IMO. I guess low speed commuters feel safer on these bike paths :?:

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:10 pm

NASHIE wrote:https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... n4sox.html

Vic not NSW and only one way bike lane, but heaps safer on the road as the rider does than chancing the gutter bike lane between parking and path, dual lane twice as risky IMO. I guess low speed commuters feel safer on these bike paths :?:
Sorry what exactly are you suggesting here? Because it it far from clear and the linked article doesn't seem to support your position.