Why I shouldn't get a reid?

Fibrelight

Why I shouldn't get a reid?

Postby Fibrelight » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi ACF,

Massive noob. Haven't ridden since I was a teenager and want to get back riding so be gentle. 2 things quickly,

1. Been looking around and hybrids, urban bikes (really don't want a mountain bike) and due to a limited budget came across Reid Cycles. Now before I get hog tied and noob kicked (after reading a similar post on this forum) I really like the 'look' of the bikes but am wary of being left with a lemon. I'm not looking to ride 1000's of km in my first month just something to get me back in the swing of things. What do you all think?

2. Part of my urge to get riding again is an ever expanding waist. I'm 6'4" and 125 kg. What do I need to consider when buying a bike, if anything, in relation to my size and weight?

Hope to get some good feedback from the cycling community.

Thanks,

Geoff

zero

Re: Why I shouldn't get a reid?

Postby zero » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:37 pm

One major consideration is that the frame/wheels are warranted for 125kg riders. Usually MTBs and hybrids are out to 135 or so, but not all road bikes are.

If you ride fast or ride on rougher roads, you'll have a lot of trouble with low spoke count or poorly made wheels.

The other is that the bike fits you well, and that you are comfortable when riding it - because that will dictate whether you enjoy it enough to gain fitness and lose weight. Asides from the bargain basement spec, that is going to be your bugbear with reid as the bikes I looked at have only 3 sizes, and the upper size ain't that big, and may not be easily made to be comfortable for you - seatpost will be out a mile unless you accept incorrect saddle position. I'd say they aren't too picky about making the rider comfortable.

They also only mention a 12 month warranty, where as many brands are lifetime frame warranty. I had a warranty frame replacement job at 2.5 years from Trek, which was handled without any fuss - just had to retain the purchase receipt...

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:34 am

A link would help, I assume we're talking about reidcycles.com.au?

That website times out for me - not a promising sign.

edit:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 14&t=14609
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:10 am

A note on the above link posted by Drubie - I have had direct contact with James Reid regarding the posts and despite the content of the thread, the posters were not acting on instruction from Reid - so it wouldn't be right to judge them on this. So, end of the interlude... back to the thread.
Cycling is in my BNA

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:03 am

zero wrote:One major consideration is that the frame/wheels are warranted for 125kg riders.
that's the precise weight of the OP! perfect fit.

zero

Postby zero » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:51 am

jules21 wrote:
zero wrote:One major consideration is that the frame/wheels are warranted for 125kg riders.
that's the precise weight of the OP! perfect fit.
confusing wording on my behalf - no idea whether they are or not - I should have said OP needed to check. Some road bikes are only covered for 120kg. In any case, now having seen the prior thread, I'm unconvinced that I was answering a real person. Bad setup on behalf of reid though if it was - they don't sell a bike thats likely to fit a rider that tall, highlights the issue that they sell only 3 sizes.

As far as the warranty goes - quoting their site - "The Condor and Condor flatbar are covered for 12 on the frame and forks and 6 months on all other", which is near the worst bicycle warranty I've ever seen, and probably contravenes statutary warranty requirements for frames and forks ?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:57 am

zero wrote:As far as the warranty goes - quoting their site - "The Condor and Condor flatbar are covered for 12 on the frame and forks and 6 months on all other", which is near the worst bicycle warranty I've ever seen, and probably contravenes statutary warranty requirements for frames and forks ?
there are no statutory warranty requirements. the Trade Practices Act says that goods must be fit for purposes. a court or small claims tribunal may, or may not agree that a bicycle or component thereof was not fit for purpose if it failed at a point in time after its purchase. any such ruling is binding, regardless of what a warranty says - which is a separate contract to which the provider can be held.

when a shop declines to fix, replace or refund the cost of something because it was out of warranty - that's just their opinion on what's reasonable, it's not binding.

Reid Cycles

Postby Reid Cycles » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:07 pm

James from Reid Cycles here.

Just to confirm fact from fiction.
Our bikes are guaranteed to 135kgs.
The 57cm would be a little too small for someone 6'4.
Arriving at christmas time we have 60cm frame sizes arriving which should cater for those up to 6'5 or 6'6.
Just to keep everyone happy, at the start of nov we are changing the warranty to 5 year on frame and forks and 12 months on all components. Anyone who has ever dealt with us personally would know we are not strict with our warranties, last week I replaced a pedal for free on a bike that was sold nearly 2 years ago.

Also arriving at christmas time we have a new road bike(alloy frame, carbon forks) with the new 105 5700 complete groupset at a price never seen before. These will be available in 60cm aswell.
We also will be doing the same 105 bike and our osprey road bike with full carbon frames in the near future if thats any interest to you.
Cheers

Fibrelight

Postby Fibrelight » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and showing interest. To the previous contributor, yes I am a real person and I thank them for their advice.I appreciate James adding to the thread with some very helpful information in making an informed choice.

BTW, I have no affiliation with reid cycles and didn't even know they existed as of a week ago. The reason for the title of this thread is in response to a previous thread I found on this site. I have no bias either for or against and hope that all my comments and questions are taken at face value.

On the face of it, being a complete noob to the cycling world and ignorant with anything bicycle tech this particular brand appears to fulfill my requirement of entry level tech and cost. Like anything I buy I will keep looking and researching. If anyone has some more options I should be looking into (brand, model suggestions) I would welcome them with open arms and googling fingers.

Thanks again to all the contributors.

Geoff

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Cheap ,nasty and inferior looking IMHO.Probably on par with a Big W/Kmart type bike.Heavy and agricultural.There fixed/S/s weigh 10.5 kg FFs.
Hit up http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/ fill in the gaps with your style required and budget and then start googling the results.Plenty to choose from.
AUbicycles wrote:A note on the above link posted by Drubie - I have had direct contact with James Reid regarding the posts and despite the content of the thread, the posters were not acting on instruction from Reid - so it wouldn't be right to judge them on this. So, end of the interlude... back to the thread.
Interesting though that in light of the past this thread just appears as an opportunity to segue in an add for a retailer as to whats in store coming up to christmas on only his 4th post/contribution to the forum.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Interesting thread (and reading up on the link posted by the mod). If Reid Cycles were in Sydney I'd have checked it out but since they don't have any Ladies bike in stock that would probably be a wasted trip. Yes, the price is very attractive and given most of the well known bikes here are overseas-based (Giant, Trek, the Euros), I wouldn't mind looking at an Australian brand (aside from Malvern Star - showing my limited knowledge of bike makers).

I think it's quite refreshing to read a business respond - fairly or unfairly - to some of the criticisms. But as Reid pointed out, this is probably not a good place to respond or be critiqued given the vested interest. Nevertheless, a Reid bike probably needs to be thoroughly reviewed by several users here but given its limited distribution the onus is on Reid to be more active and seek some of the Melbourne-based posters and serious bike experts.

A brand takes years to establish so I do sympathise with Reid in that sense as he's just started out. So if his lofty aim is to produce a cheaper Giant/Trek competitor, then he has some work to do. Or if his aim is to compete against the Aldi bikes then he should say that's his market segment.

At least the posters here are brutally honest :) and if he can take some of the more constructive criticisms on board then that can only help improve his business. The advice here is free.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:09 pm

While we have strict commercial policy in this forum - Industry participation is welcome when it is on topic and in this case, just as Wiggle have also done in the past, they have replied to a user with a very fair response - and addressing criticism on warranty.

Brauluver, yes your personal opinions on the bike are valid and form part of feedback for the OP to judge. I don't agree with your comments on the motivations of Reid Cycles responding to a user post. So lets vget back to the actual topic and if there are any concerns, report a post and highlight your concerns in the post - for a moderater to review.
Cycling is in my BNA

kapow

Postby kapow » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:38 pm

A few of us just bought a mate a Reid Harrier single speed for his birthday last week. He's a rather heavy fellow but he loves it and rides it everyday. If you're on a budget and are just starting out I don't see a problem with it, especially if it's for fitness and not for performance as much. Reid cycles are opening up a shop across from Victoria market if you wanna check them out..

Obviously there are other options out there, but for convenience and a budget from experience the service was great.

EDIT: I'll let you know if his Reid falls apart. So far it's holding his 100kg pretty well.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:01 am

G'Day Geoff, welcome outside.

I have test ridden two Reids, a half hour on the Harrier and a fortnight of commuting/shopping/mucking about on an Aquila flatbar. I'm putting a review of the Aquila together and hope to have it published shortly.

I decided to do so after the previous thread rang a few alarm bells in my head. I've had a few good chats with James, he kindly let me glance over his records and I watched him deal with customers face to face. I reckon James is on the level.
I won't preempt the review but I will say that if you are in Melbs, drop by his shop on Victoria St (Opposite Vic Market) and have a yarn and a stickybeak. Even if you don't walk out with a bike, you'll have enjoyed the visit.

Usual disclaimer, I have no association with James or Reid cycles other than what I've mentioned above. I haven't and won't gain any benefit from my meetings with James except for the use of his dyke.

Cheers
Shaun

(AT) Brauluver. The harrier does not ride as heavy as the listed weight would suggest and methinks a better set of wheels would go a long way to fixing that.

S
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Fibrelight

Postby Fibrelight » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 am

Thanks M Bill, Looks like you have gone the extra mile in your Super Mod duties to do some snooping around. I look forward to the review and your general impressions of the Aquila. I was surprised that James has a store as from googling around I was under the impression that he sold the bikes from his home. This in itself rang alarm bells as it didn't really sound like it was on the level. Anyway. Thanks again for your post.

Thanks,

Geoff

saywot
Location: about 5km west of Adelaide GPO (and alongside Schrodinger's cat)

Postby saywot » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:11 am

won't gain any benefit from my meetings with James except for the use of his dyke.
dyke ?
Currently A Cenophobe
- but I'm sure something new will come along !!

EMC Etape r2.4, Mongoose Sabrosa Hybrid and a 1985 Gemini World Randonneur - decisions, decisions, decisions !

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:53 am

AUbicycles wrote: Brauluver, yes your personal opinions on the bike are valid and form part of feedback for the OP to judge. I don't agree with your comments on the motivations of Reid Cycles responding to a user post. So lets vget back to the actual topic and if there are any concerns, report a post and highlight your concerns in the post - for a moderater to review.
Point Taken Christopher.I was just a little bemused that after 10 months and only 4 posts contribution to our community that 2 0f those posts contain an advert(IMO) about up coming products as a PS at the bottom and one had a direct link removed.Are all retailers allowed this same waiver?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:12 pm

saywot wrote:dyke ?
Gentlemens convenience, privy house, smallest room...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:21 am

Mulger bill wrote:
saywot wrote:dyke ?
Gentlemens convenience, privy house, smallest room...
I'm disappointed in you Mulger Bill. Whatever happened to the good ol' dunny can
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

saywot
Location: about 5km west of Adelaide GPO (and alongside Schrodinger's cat)

Postby saywot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:20 am

KenGS wrote:Whatever happened to the good ol' dunny can
Gough Whitlam was elected to the office of the Prime Minister of Australia and made it a priority to improve the water reticulation and sewerage systems of Australia. He rid the streets of Australian cities and towns of the sights, sounds and smells of the night soil collection carts. In so doing he pissed of many sections of the 'Big End of Town', those who owned the dray building factories, the wealthy draft horse breeders, the dudes who owned the steel mills where the actual cans were made and they felt it "just wasn't right" that poor people had the same inside toilets as the upper classes. So they did what they had to do to flush the Whitlam Government down the loo.
- It's only the official story you can find in the history books
Currently A Cenophobe
- but I'm sure something new will come along !!

EMC Etape r2.4, Mongoose Sabrosa Hybrid and a 1985 Gemini World Randonneur - decisions, decisions, decisions !

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22 am

i'll remember Gough next time i'm on the can.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:35 am

jules21 wrote:i'll remember Gough next time i'm on the can.
I once "Goughed" during a bout of diarhea,and followed through. :shock: :mrgreen:

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:41 pm

every single time the Reid company comes up in threads there is possative posts from people who have never posted on this forum before.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:52 pm

backofthebunch wrote:every single time the Reid company comes up in threads there is possative posts from people who have never posted on this forum before.
Careful, the inhouse fanbois will tell you off for pointing out the obvious. :wink:

Fibrelight

Postby Fibrelight » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:33 pm

I wasn't going to rant but screw it.

Why so cynical. Maybe, just maybe the reason for a lot of positive responses is that this company fills a niche market with people that know they are not getting the latest and greatest and aren't surprised if the bikes lack in area's. In my noob googling and researching I have found that it appears the there is the Big K and W mart road bikes and then $800-900 'branded' entry level road bikes with some small excepts of course. I'm not saying that the gratuitous plugging by James is the right way to go but I did actually find the info very helpful (I can feel the wave of spam comments building).

What I do have a issue with is self righteous participants hijacking a genuine thread from a new user under the guise of keeping the forum 'pure' or protecting others from the 'evils of commerce'. If the inappropriate marketing offended you so much then I would have thought the more appropriate course of action would be to flag it to a Mod and not pay any more attention.

I reiterate what I have stated previously in this thread, I have no connection with the company in question, have never spoken too or meet James, never visited the store or ridden one of the bikes. I have also chosen not to look further into any Reid bicycles as I believe they are not what I'm looking for.

Let me make it plain. I am a new user to this forum and to the cycling community that has been somewhat disillusioned by the attitude and conduct of some of the participants of this forum. An open and honest community is a most and criticism is sometime warranted but in this case I believe it was not needed. I apologize if this is not in the spirit of the forum. I am sure this will only lead to more off topic comments (as this rant is)that are aimed at the validity of the thread and how much Spiced Ham it contains.

I look forward to being an ongoing consumer and contributor of this forum in the future. Thanks for indulging me in this rant. It has been very cathartic.