It's Official...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: It's Official...

Postby Nobody » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:04 pm

toolonglegs wrote:...the only reason it broke is because I dropped a chain over the rear on a big climb a few weeks ago and it took a fair bit of yanking to get it out which damaged a few spokes.
Foul! Pre-damaged, Against the rules. Doesn't count. :P

toolonglegs wrote:...and the guy said it had 2 years warranty...so lets see :twisted:
I hope you get the other one fixed soon then. How long did it take to get a warranty return on the wheels in the past?

toolonglegs wrote:....plus the factory is only a few km's from home so I might get that tester job after all :lol: .
In addition to the non-paid role of BNA wheels/parts/frame tester. :wink:

So is the Ribble frame still going?
Nobody

by BNA » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:00 am

BNA

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:00 am

Against the rules I know :lol: .
Warranty shouldn't take too long I hope!....my door to rim production factory door is 14 km's of little country roads...I often pass it on training rides.
Yes the Ribble is still going strong...but it has been stood down till next winter now as I can reach the tops on the Cannondale now.I wish RIbble did Cross bikes as I would by one for this winter.
Unlike the Cannondale which is really starting to bulge around the bb carbon/alloy join...warranty will not be far away on that frame!.
toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:53 am

Oh well... I've missed this thread :lol: ... and washing bikes is a dangerous thing!.
Found the crack at the spoke hole first, oh well, I was thinking of getting another spare wheel anyway, then when I went to put it in the car I saw that the brake surface was cracked as well. Can't complain too much... 1 broken spoke in 18 months including 2 seasons of CX which is super tough on rims.
So I bought a new 2013 one and put this one in for a new rim.
toolonglegs

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:00 am

Jeez you're rough on the gear TLL. :lol: I found a split in my rear wheel yesterday also, about a cm long either side of the spoke hole. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:20 am

toolonglegs wrote:Found the crack at the spoke hole first,

I have a mate who owns a bike shop (mainly a repair service) who is one of the best wheel builders I've ever experienced. He hates those wheels & sees more cracks in that exact spot more times than you could imagine :evil:

Although to think they've survived this long racing/riding CX is definitely saying something about those wheels & how tough they really must be.

He services another mates bikes who is a very powerful sprinter (puts out over 1500 watts regularly) although his sprinting "style" or lack of it is like a rabid dog chasing you while wearing roller skates on an ice skating rink. He brakes everything especially rear wheels & frames.

Another pair of bikes (MTB) he regularly services from a hard core husband & wife pair are always almost completely destroyed. The wife's bike from endless km's & the husbands bike from sweat & corrosion. Quite commonly the brake pads are gone & it's only the metal on metal sound that alerts them the bike is due for some maintenance. Just 3 days ago I witnessed my mate trying to remove a set of lock-on mtb grips which he eventually hammered off after much unsuccessful yanking/pulling/twisting. Surprise surprise the little bolts had corroded & the alloy lock was ring eaten away & cracked :roll: Between the pair of them I've not ever witnessed so many ruined bikes.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
ZepinAtor

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:00 pm

I have been on ksyriums for years... They do always go around the spoke but usually much earlier, I think the new rim design is much better.
18 months out of a wheel is unheard of for me :-) ... I'm not a big sprinter ( 1400w max )... But I am big ;-) .
Cyclocross really kills the brake surfaces as well... So it was all good timing :-)
toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:56 pm

New episode ... rebuilding race bike... close look at non drive side crank arm. Looks like a crack, sanded it back a bit and it's still there :cry: .
180mm cranks can only be found in DuraAce, stripped one off the TT bike. Fair bit of recycling had to be done to get bike up and running. TT bike gave up cranks and pedals... also front derailleur which was seizing. Cross bike gave up shifters. Winter bike gave up short arse stem.

What do you reckon.
toolonglegs

Postby warthog1 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:07 pm

warthog1

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Ta, Didn't realize SRAM did them in cheaper versions ... might look into them.
If I can find one with 53/54 chain rings that is locally... compact is no good for me with a 180mm.
toolonglegs

Postby warthog1 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:39 pm

The PBK one is in 130mm bcd
warthog1

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:51 pm

So it is... haven't brought from PBK in a long time!.
toolonglegs

Postby warthog1 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Me either, they always seemed out of stock with too much and an otherwise limited range.
That came up on a search. I've got 177.5's on my tt and remembered sram had some longer ones.
warthog1

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:42 pm

toolonglegs wrote:What do you reckon.

On first look it does appear that it could be superficial - especially the angle of the one on the left against the grain.I checked out the highest res photo on flickr to see if there is any more detail.

These are the three sections that indicate that it may be a deep fracture rather than just scratches. Hard to tell though so if you can slip it into your next X-Ray at the dentist or doctor hopefully that will reveal all.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:49 pm

toolonglegs wrote:What do you reckon.

Had something similar to this, but perpendicular to it on my old 105 cranks. As I was desperate to move it to my junker, I just kept sanding it until it went away. Then I gave it a rub with really fine paper in the hope that if it was a crack starting, that it didn't propagate further. I'm still hoping it was a scratch but I'll try to let you know if it ever breaks (after I get out of hospital).
Nobody

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:55 pm

I will sand it back some more... dont have a vice to load it up. Don't think the dentist would be impressed.
Originally I thought it was surface as well... but I did sand it back a bit and the scratch / crack is still very sharp.
toolonglegs

Postby Nobody » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:00 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Ta, Didn't realize SRAM did them in cheaper versions ... might look into them.
If I can find one with 53/54 chain rings that is locally... compact is no good for me with a 180mm.
Stronglight have a 52 standard in 180.
http://www.xxcycle.com/crankset-strongl ... le,,en.php
Nobody

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 am

Geez your rough Ian. :lol:

Yet you still havent broken the Ribble. They must be the toughest frame ever made.
singlespeedscott

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:22 pm

The Ribble was a good buy :-) ... Be a sad day when I have to post about its demise :lol:
Those stronglight cranks are not pretty :-| ... Plus a 52 on a 180mm is a bit small.
The beauty of the DA cranks is being able to run compact and standard set up on the same cranks ... Downside is the cranks with extra rings will be well over the price of two sets of rivals :lol:
toolonglegs

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:37 am

toolonglegs wrote:The Ribble was a good buy :-) ... Be a sad day when I have to post about its demise :lol:
Those stronglight cranks are not pretty :-| ... Plus a 52 on a 180mm is a bit small.
The beauty of the DA cranks is being able to run compact and standard set up on the same cranks ... Downside is the cranks with extra rings will be well over the price of two sets of rivals :lol:

A least because they are so oversized you will never break them :lol:
singlespeedscott

Postby warthog1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:35 pm

toolonglegs wrote:The Ribble was a good buy :-) ... Be a sad day when I have to post about its demise

Out of warranty I reckon now.
My steel Ribble has been a debacle. Out of stock for 3 months and counting. :x

Blame tapatalk
warthog1

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Never say never when it comes to breaking things :wink: .

If the Ribble breaks no biggie... plus I have a System6 frame sitting there doing nothing.

Was thinking yesterday on my first ride on my race bike since September or so that it was so nice to be on long cranks again, I felt the extra 7.5mm's!... was thinking it would be fun to try 200mm with O'symmetric rings ( Steve Hogg said I could run 200mm easily enough ) :lol: .
toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Giving up on Fulcrum wheels! ... well the Racing 3's to be specific, but I won't be buying any others :| . Spoke popping pieces of merde!
toolonglegs

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:39 pm

warthog1 wrote:My steel Ribble has been a debacle. Out of stock for 3 months and counting. :x

Blame tapatalk

I better correct that :oops:
When it did come back into stock they sent out a new one promptly and didn't want the old one back. All good, going fine :)
warthog1

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:21 pm

My alloy Ribble is looking a bit sad... Might get taken some where far away and left there as a holiday bike :lol:
toolonglegs

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:50 pm

Anything that manages to survive more than a couple of years of your use deserves to be cast in bronze & a monument erected to is heroism :wink:
find_bruce

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion