Wearing out bib shorts

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Wearing out bib shorts

Postby briztoon » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:08 pm

OK, simply I don't know who to ask about this. So the anonymity of the forum has to do. And I don't really feel like taking a pair of my bib shorts in to a LBS to ask the guys there.

I keep wearing out my bib shorts at the top of my left thigh at the edge of chamois padding and stitching. It's got me stumped/pissed at how fast I am wearing a hole in my bib shorts (3 months). The area where the holes keep appearing is a little forward and below the area of padding that I sit on, so don't rub anywhere near as much as main padding area. And the left side wears through much faster than the right side, though there are signs of wear on the right side as well.

I'm trying to work out how I am wearing this section of my bib shorts out, and wondering is ok to stitch extra material over this area?
briztoon

by BNA » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:06 pm

BNA

Wearing out bib shorts

Postby Kenzo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:06 pm

Exposed stitching on your saddle?
Perhaps you have a saddle bag with a Velcro wrap around the seat post... The exposed Velcro grip can tear at the material.
Kenzo

Re: Wearing out bib shorts

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:08 pm

The only time I have had that type of problem was due to a saddle where the branding was raised stitching.

It has to be caused by a rough area on the saddle as I can’t see any other valid reason for wearing the same spot every time, unless of course you have been eating to much concrete and one of the family jewels is now a lump of rock. :lol:
greyhoundtom

Postby mrs slocombe's pussy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:45 pm

i to have this issue of abnormal wear in one specific spot similarrto the op and look forward to any comments!

was thinking maybe that i don't sit perfectly symmetrical on the saddle, perhaps due to a leg length discrepancy?? just clutching at straws!
mrs slocombe's pussy

Postby norbs » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:59 pm

mrs slocombe's pussy wrote:i to have this issue of abnormal wear in one specific spot similarrto the op and look forward to any comments!

was thinking maybe that i don't sit perfectly symmetrical on the saddle, perhaps due to a leg length discrepancy?? just clutching at straws!

Off topic, but that is a hell of a user name! :)
norbs

Postby ChainBreak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:08 pm

norbs wrote:
mrs slocombe's pussy wrote:i to have this issue of abnormal wear in one specific spot similarrto the op and look forward to any comments!

Sorry, I just have to agree with norbs :lol: :lol: :lol:
Take a man fishing and feed him for a day, teach man to fish and feed him for a lifetime , teach a man to cycle and he'll realize that fishing is stupid and boring :P
ChainBreak

Postby U2adam!!! » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:21 pm

norbs wrote:

I'd rather pat Mr Humphries any day than that user name. :shock:

Apologies for the unhelpful information.

Tim
U2adam!!!

Postby Downhill » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:04 pm

briztoon wrote:I keep wearing out my bib shorts at the top of my left thigh at the edge of chamois padding and stitching...

Is the saddle correctly aligned over the centre of the top tube? It might be a little off center. Try this: Sit on the saddle. Bring your right pedal to 12 O'clock. Push your right knee firmly into the top tube. Remember any pressure there might be on the inside of your right thigh. Do the same with your left pedal / left leg. If you feel any difference in the contact pressure on either side, it could be the source of the problem.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:56 am

Large thighs and the material of the knicks is bunching up right at the edge of the padding, and rubbing on the bottom edge of the saddle?

A soft lambswool cover over the saddle is nice to ride on. :wink:
greyhoundtom

Postby Blueboy1864 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:52 pm

I had this happen once. I had recently got a narrower saddle and without noticing it my thigh was rubbing against where the saddle is held by the post clamp. LBS gave the clamp a light file and fixed the problem.
Blueboy1864

Postby mrs slocombe's pussy » Tue May 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Blueboy1864 wrote:I had this happen once. I had recently got a narrower saddle and without noticing it my thigh was rubbing against where the saddle is held by the post clamp. LBS gave the clamp a light file and fixed the problem.

wow, thanks.....had a feel around down there when i was riding today and i think that's it!
mrs slocombe's pussy

Postby ironhanglider » Tue May 01, 2012 9:35 pm

mrs slocombe's pussy wrote:
Blueboy1864 wrote:I had this happen once. I had recently got a narrower saddle and without noticing it my thigh was rubbing against where the saddle is held by the post clamp. LBS gave the clamp a light file and fixed the problem.

wow, thanks.....had a feel around down there when i was riding today and i think that's it!

:shock: The mind boggles.

I've had the issue that Kenzo mentioned. A saddle bag with a strap that wraps around the seat pillar. It only takes a few of the 'hooks' from the velcro to tear into the knicks.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby Mrfenejeans » Tue May 01, 2012 10:03 pm

In placing my saddle further back, it has caused the clamp to be exposed to my legs which inturn A) Wears out my knicks where they brush the clamp and B) Wears the black finish off the clamp. I hadn't noticed it while riding it was solely when i went to re-adjust my saddle.
Mrfenejeans

Postby briztoon » Thu May 03, 2012 1:34 am

Thanks for all the ideas guys. It turns out that the velcro strap from my saddle bag was the cause. It had curled back a bit and every time I sat a little further back on the saddle, it would rub on my bib shorts. Quick solution, a pair of scissors.
briztoon

Postby roller » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:05 pm

after going ages and ages without any issues at all with my knicks, i've had 3 pairs of shorts die on me in the last couple of weeks.

this thread has given me a few ideas for a potential remedy though

thanks all :thumbsup:
roller

Postby Karati » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Does that mean someone can figure out how mine wear on the front left hip then?!
Karati

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Karati wrote:Does that mean someone can figure out how mine wear on the front left hip then?!

Seatbelt
Building pass
Waist belt for a bag?

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby roller » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:57 am

so my friendly LBS guy suggested that perhaps over time my seat might have slipped backwards a bit, enough so that my knicks rub against the clamp of my seatpost.

so i've moved my seat forward a touch, so far so good.
roller

Postby AndrewW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:05 pm

I seem to have this exact problem as well, found a hole in my 3 week old knicks this morning. :x :x
My seat is perfectly smooth and not hitting the saddle bag hmm.

My gut feeling is material bunching up and then being ground into the seat because I don't think there's anything it could rub against.
AndrewW

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:11 pm

Quite often it's the saddle clamp, or a fixture to the seat post (ie saddle bag, Velcro, tail light bracket etc) that is the hole making cause. If your using a saddle with carbon braided rails, the abrasive tape to reduce saddle slip on the rails can be a source as well.

A much slower cause is sitting asymmetry on the saddle. As alluded to earlier, this is often from unknown or Uncorrected leg length discrepancies, or poor cleat positioning, amongst several others...
Dr_Mutley

Postby Kenzo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:27 pm

Karati wrote:Does that mean someone can figure out how mine wear on the front left hip then?!

A piece of Velcro hanging from a backpack strap?
Kenzo

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Kenzo wrote:

A piece of Velcro hanging from a backpack strap?

Rough or sharp plastic underside of the jersey zip?
Dr_Mutley

Return to General discussion