Benotto project, Groupset time.

peterk

Benotto project, Groupset time.

Postby peterk » Sat May 26, 2012 4:06 pm

I have a Benotto frame that is my next project but I am a little stuck with my groupset selection. I am unsure which model Benotto it is exactly but it one where the cables all pass through the tubes at various points and the stays are ovalised and diamond shaped. I am not aiming for period correct at this stage and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of whether it is possible to fit something like 2012 Campag Chorus or does the cable routing make this an impossible choice. I already have a Ken Evans and a Gitane with Friction shifting so would love one with a modern groupset. Thanks, Pete.

stevendavid75

Re: Benotto project, Groupset time.

Postby stevendavid75 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:00 pm

great looking frame!!

Looking at the lever bosses there looks to be a small cable guide at the top of the boss?I dare say if that is the case, the cable should have a free run past the lever mounting part??

Those chain stays look like the old columbus MS ones?

I would prefer a alloy veloce group on that frame..

Enjoy!

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat May 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi Peterk,

I think I can help you. I used to own that frame. It is quite a special frame and is a highly collectable Benotto 5000. The Benotto 5000 frames are highly regarded worldwide. I think it was made in 1983 or perhaps 1982.

When I owned it it had the original Campagnolo Super Record '83 groupset on it but the wheels ran Mavic hubs. The bars and stem were 3TTT and the stem was pantographed with the Benotto logo.

I bought it from it's original owner who imported it. I can't remember his name now but he used to own the Bicycle Superstore in Dandenong, Victoria. I had known about the bike for a number of years before I approached him with an offer to buy it.

It turned out to be a very nice riding bike but I think the bottom bracket shell is constructed a little low to the ground. Many Mexican Benotto's have a poor reputation as the frames tend to crack - or that is their 'legend'. Personally, I have never seen a cracked Benotto frame and the forums I have been involved in over the past 7 years have never actually produced photographs of a cracked Benotto frame. The 5000's, on the other hand, did not suffer from the 'cracked frame' reputation.

I have always been sorry I sold the bike and if you want to sell the frame I would buy it back in a shot.

Here is how it used to look:

THIS MAY BE IMPORTANT:

The frame is designed to run friction shifters with internal cabling and it cannot be set up easily for modern shifting "brifters". It would be quite a shame to see it without realising its full potential so I suggest forgetting a modern groupset. To be honest, only a Campagnolo Super Record groupset would do it justice.

cflmx

Postby cflmx » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:00 am

PM sent.
Last edited by cflmx on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

cflmx

Postby cflmx » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:02 am

It is a Benotto 5000 with ovalized frame. the appropriate group would be early campagnolo super record. Cinelli seat and bars. That is how i would do it.

cflmx

Postby cflmx » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:13 pm

I was just reading somwhere the right groupset for this build is Campagnolo Athena.

Richard P

Postby Richard P » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Hi Gary

This post has been very helpful.

I purchased your Benotto 5000 from Peter K and built it with period correct super record a while ago. Unfortunately its time for me to move this beautiful bike onto the next custodian. Thought I would mention this to you as you had expressed interest in buying it back one day if available.

Hope to hear from you.

Regards

Richard

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:42 am

Hi Richard, yes I am interested.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 am

let me help you prepare your ebay advert, ask me how

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Benotto-5000-Vintage-Bicycle-Tags-Colnago-Bianchi-Pinarello-de-rosa-/263044053760?hash=item3d3ea5bb00:g:8K4AAOSwT5xZRngY

and you even get a mention

Haha - true info though. Thanks Clydesdale Scot for pointing it out. As stated, it was imported into Aust. by the original owner of The Bicycle Superstore in Dandenong. He had 2 Benotto's painted with the same scheme. The other was probably a 3000 model, and this one - the riviered 5000 model.

I bought it on my way home from a trip to Bairnsdale to see Warren Meade. He had not long purchased a Colnago Arabesque which I loved. I think it was just me trying (unsuccessfully, haha) to keep up with the Meade's. I remembered seeing the Benotto a few years ago and I visited the store on the way home. From their I rang the owner who also built the Velocity (I'm probably wrong with the brand name) bikes and the 2 Benotto's were stored upstairs in the factory.

It was a really nice bike to ride but what I did find interesting was the height of the bottom bracket. To me it seemed lower set than my other bikes or that's how it felt. I think I did measure the height of the BB from the ground at one stage and it was lower than my other bikes.

I remember thinking that this lower profile suited the aero shaped tubing and hidden cabling of the frame.

I did like this bike but unfortunately it is out of my price range now.

Thanks Clydesdale Scot.

Richard P

Postby Richard P » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks Gary and Clydsdale Scot for your input and comments. much appreciated . I am new to this forum.

It is a superb frame and delivers a smooth direct ride. Only reason for selling is that I have too many projects and not enough space to store these classic bike's from yeast year.

Gary would you just be interested in the frameset?

Thanks

Richard P

Postby Richard P » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks Gary and Clydsdale Scot for your input and comments. much appreciated . I am new to this forum.

It is a superb frame and delivers a smooth direct ride. Only reason for selling is that I have too many projects and not enough space to store these classic bike's from yest a year.

Gary would you just be interested in the frameset?

Thanks