You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

gchan3

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby gchan3 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:11 pm

Which wheelsets work (appearance) better? Deep section wheels or box section wheels?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:15 pm

^ I reckon the Atlantas look pretty damn good on this.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm glad you got to keep it. Sellers regret is a horrible thing.

Atlanta's look good on everything, unless you want to offload them, then they are rubbish and I'm happy to buy for a just in case bike.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:28 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ I reckon the Atlantas look pretty damn good on this.

+1
Mmm, SunTour

Madrider

Postby Madrider » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:01 pm

Not so new to the collection

Raleigh Team Ti - Reynolds 753 built in the Raleigh SBDU workshop circa 1984

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:05 pm

Madrider wrote:Not so new to the collection

Raleigh Team Ti - Reynolds 753 built in the Raleigh SBDU workshop circa 1984

Oooh baby...now that flicks my switch as a Raleigh tragic. More pics pls..
Mmm, SunTour

drex

Postby drex » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:28 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
drex wrote:So I picked up a real mixed bag this weekend from an ad on Gumtree. The lovely old bloke who was selling it said he'd had it for ages, but that he couldn't really ride any more, so it had to go. It has no brand name or markings on the frame, other than to say that it is made from Tange Infinity tubing, so I'm guessing it was a custom built job? Has a Sugino Cycloid crankset, which did my head in when I first looked at the 52/42 oval chainrings (I thought they were damaged until I did some research), friction shifters, BR-L490 Shimano brakes, a Shimano Acera rear derailleur (looks like it is a relatively recent addition), and the brakes have been set up like a European bike with the left lever operating the front brakes. I reckon from the brakes and crankset that it is circa 1988, but that's just a guess. Anyone ever seen something similar? Has been well looked after - undid the quill stem to see if I could drop the bars down, fully expecting them to be seized, and they moved smoothly without even needing a nudge. Think I'll be doing minimal changes to this one and taking it out for a ride once I've given it a quick tizzy up, trued the wheels and put some air in the tyres!

Ironically I pulled a late 80s Sugino crankset off a bike today. How coincidental.
I'm wondering if this is a Nishiki of some sort, or something similar. Don't s'pose this has a SunTour front derailleur? Think your estimation of date is fairly accurate, the Cycloid stuff came out 86/87 (was a more aggressive version of Shimano's BioPace...and not very popular). I've never ridden one, although I do like my BioPace.

Whatever it is, nice bike.

Thanks! Nope, Shimano front and rear, but I suspect they are later additions anyway. I do need to try and find a third chainring though - from what I can tell, the crankset was originally a triple, but it has been set up as a double, and the 52/42 is destroying my knees to try and even get up a gentle incline. Just need to find a 32 or thereabouts and drop the 52 altogether...

drex

Postby drex » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Picked up another Gumtree special today for the princely sum of $20. Claims to be an original (other than a new set of tyres 20 years ago), unmolested, one-owner, Repco steel framer, bought from a small bike store in Gawler, SA in 1975. No markings on the frame anywhere, but it looks legit. Has been sitting in a shed for many years, but everything works - just needs a good clean, some tidying up of the surface rust as best as I can, and a complete service and tune. Have I just been lucky picking this up so cheap, or is there something inherently bad/worthless here that I'm not seeing?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Not worthless by any means, but also not a high-end bike as evidenced by the suicide levers and stem shifters. Nice SunTour GT rear derailleur on there (I think, hard to see on that angle) but this bike should clean up well and ride very nicely. Could probably make it ride like brand-new for the price of some grease/oil, cables and brake pads (maybe bar tape) and some elbow grease if the bearings aren't shot.
Mmm, SunTour

drex

Postby drex » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:35 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:Not worthless by any means, but also not a high-end bike as evidenced by the suicide levers and stem shifters. Nice SunTour GT rear derailleur on there (I think, hard to see on that angle) but this bike should clean up well and ride very nicely. Could probably make it ride like brand-new for the price of some grease/oil, cables and brake pads (maybe bar tape) and some elbow grease if the bearings aren't shot.

Thanks, and yes that is a SunTour GT on the back. Bearings sound ok, but will give it a tidy up and see how it rolls. Are there any options out there to buy Repco frame decals if I wanted to respray the frame? Had a look on eBay and not finding much. Also not sure if a full strip and respray would even be worth it, but still tempting...

drex

Postby drex » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:42 am

drex wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:
Are there any options out there to buy Repco frame decals if I wanted to respray the frame? Had a look on eBay and not finding much. Also not sure if a full strip and respray would even be worth it, but still tempting...

Scratch that question, Google found me a few sites. Slim pickings though...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:45 am

drex wrote:Are there any options out there to buy Repco frame decals if I wanted to respray the frame? Had a look on eBay and not finding much. Also not sure if a full strip and respray would even be worth it, but still tempting...

Cyclomondo can help you with some variants of Repco decals, and are top quality stuff (my first option if I'm doing decals).

Link : http://cyclomondo.net/page2.htm

Also, please keep the colour as is.

Is so 1970s, that just looking at it made my hair start growing...
Mmm, SunTour

drex

Postby drex » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:58 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
drex wrote:Are there any options out there to buy Repco frame decals if I wanted to respray the frame? Had a look on eBay and not finding much. Also not sure if a full strip and respray would even be worth it, but still tempting...

Cyclomondo can help you with some variants of Repco decals, and are top quality stuff (my first option if I'm doing decals).

Link : http://cyclomondo.net/page2.htm

Also, please keep the colour as is.

Is so 1970s, that just looking at it made my hair start growing...

Definitely want to keep the baby-poo-yellow-brown colour, and love the chrome fork tips, and this is where I'm struggling - leave it as it with plenty of 'character' in its scratched decals and rust spots, or go the whole hog...