Advise/Instructions on Removing a 105 Crank

auswi2
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Advise/Instructions on Removing a 105 Crank

Postby auswi2 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Hello,

I have decided to try and save some money buy doing it myself

I have a 105 53/39 standard crank and will be replacing it with a 105 5750 50/34 compact crank along with a new chain and rear cassette.

Are these instructions and tools required correct??

1 - Remove non drive side pedal arm only and then pull the drive side crank out (Maybe having to move the FD up out of the way

I have seen crank pullers online but from what I understand and i could easily be wrong that tool is not required for these hollowtech cranks

2 - Put in the new compact crank by pushing it back through the BB and re-attaching the non drive side pedal arm. ( align FD to sit as close as possible to teeth without touching)

3 Remove and replace 11-25 cassette with 11-28 cassette with a chain whip and lockring tool

4 - Fit new105 chain hoping it fits without taking any links out

I did search youtube but found no video or photographic instructions on these cranks

Thanks in advance

auswi2

mitzikatzi
Posts: 1899
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Perth

Re: Advise/Instructions on Removing a 105 Crank

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:19 pm

External Bearing Crank Systems (Hollowtech II, MegaeXo, Giga X Pipe, X-type, Campagnolo Ultra Torque)

try Google for Hollowtech cranksets instal/remove videos

You will need to shorten the chain. search Sheldon Browns site

I use a dead blow hammer to knock the crankset out.

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28528
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Advise/Instructions on Removing a 105 Crank

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:03 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:I use a dead blow hammer to knock the crankset out.

Had to google it, gotta get one. My wooden mallet is showing its age.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc
Posts: 8945
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Advise/Instructions on Removing a 105 Crank

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:49 am

Mulger bill wrote:
mitzikatzi wrote:I use a dead blow hammer to knock the crankset out.

Had to google it, gotta get one. My wooden mallet is showing its age.


meh - i use the palm of my hand
Image

User avatar
visrealm
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 am

Re: Advise/Instructions on Removing a 105 Crank

Postby visrealm » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 am

Assuming your current chain is the correct length, your new chain will need to be shortened to the same length (only by fluke since you're removing 3 teeth from the front and adding 3 teeth to the back).
'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.

Ozkaban
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Advise/Instructions on Removing a 105 Crank

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:13 am

It's a pretty straight forward operation - I've done it a few times. The crank will slide out with a gentle tap - from your palm or I used a small scrap of wood.

When installing the new cranks, make sure you tighten the little black cap first - gentle finger tight is all that's required. There's a YouTube video that describes it but I can't find the link. His method was somewhat amusing "nip it up, back it off and nip it up again", but it works. The key is to have no movement in the cranks but no sideways pressure on the bearings either.

Then make sure you torque the crank arm bolts up properly - and re-torque them after 100km. You wont enjoy the sensation of the left crank arm coming off under load.

Enjoy 34x28 - you'll get up some serious inclines with that! It will be a HUGE difference from 39x25

Cheers,
Dave

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 7528
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Advise/Instructions on Removing a 105 Crank

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
mitzikatzi wrote:I use a dead blow hammer to knock the crankset out.

Had to google it, gotta get one. My wooden mallet is showing its age.


They are brilliant, except when you get flesh caught between and object and the hammer. Hurts even MORE than a normal hammer.

BTW, I've always just pulled mine out by hand - no external force required.

Reman
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Inner West, Sydney

Re: Advise/Instructions on Removing a 105 Crank

Postby Reman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:31 pm

What's the general thinking on replacing the BB when replacing the chaninset, considering they are quite cheap. I would be thinking maybe if its done over 1000kms? Or perhaps if you are doing it after a rainy season? Or take the cranks out, spin the bearings and if its not smooth? (Would be annoying if you found this without a spare BB on hand)

:?:

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 8560
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Advise/Instructions on Removing a 105 Crank

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Reman wrote:What's the general thinking on replacing the BB when replacing the chaninset, considering they are quite cheap. I would be thinking maybe if its done over 1000kms? Or perhaps if you are doing it after a rainy season? Or take the cranks out, spin the bearings and if its not smooth? (Would be annoying if you found this without a spare BB on hand)

:?:

After only 1000kms? Are you kidding?

In any case, these chainsets are so easy to remove and replace you could almost carry spare bearings in your pocket. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Reman
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Inner West, Sydney

Re: Advise/Instructions on Removing a 105 Crank

Postby Reman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:37 am

While trying to locate a squeak I pulled my cranks out, while doing that I gave the BB bearings a spin. Left side buttery smooth, right side crunchy as good peanut butter! This was after about 1250km, most of that over a wettish Sydney winter.

Apparently Shimano external BBs aren't meant to be serviceable, a Tiagra BB in my case. But I found a site that gave some instructions. Bearings are press fit so had to make do and try and "flush" them as best I could. Once done spinning still a little rough but much better. Not sure loose bearings would work in these BB's.

At about $17, I bought a new Tiagra BB and I'm going to ride the old one for a while yet before replacing, probably another year. That's cheap enough that if you are replacing a chain set it may be worth doing the BB at the same time? that was the reason for the question.

User avatar
Newton
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: Advise/Instructions on Removing a 105 Crank

Postby Newton » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:49 pm

auswi2 wrote:Hello,

I have decided to try and save some money buy doing it myself
I have a 105 53/39 standard crank and will be replacing it with a 105 5750 50/34 compact crank along with a new chain and rear cassette.
Are these instructions and tools required correct??
1 - Remove non drive side pedal arm only and then pull the drive side crank out (Maybe having to move the FD up out of the way
I have seen crank pullers online but from what I understand and i could easily be wrong that tool is not required for these hollowtech cranks
2 - Put in the new compact crank by pushing it back through the BB and re-attaching the non drive side pedal arm. ( align FD to sit as close as possible to teeth without touching)
3 Remove and replace 11-25 cassette with 11-28 cassette with a chain whip and lockring tool
4 - Fit new105 chain hoping it fits without taking any links out
I did search youtube but found no video or photographic instructions on these cranks

Thanks in advance

auswi2


You will definitely need to take links out of the chain - loop the chain around the large chain ring on the front and the largest sprocket on the cassette (without passing it through the rear derailleur) then allow for 2 chain link overlap - http://gearinches.com/blog/cycling/bicycle-chain-length, and more importantly you will need to lower the front derailleur, once lowered you'll then need to adjust the cable tension.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users