Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:26 am

warthog1 wrote:Turns out it was a little old lady peering over the steering wheel.

i'll never forget making a new mum burst into tears in similar circumstances. still, she shouldn't have been driving either.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8707
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

by BNA » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:32 am

BNA
 

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:32 am

My issue is this lady appears dangerously incompetent probably due to age related impairment. If so at what point is she going to realize she is dangerously impaired. Will it be after she has run over me next time on my way home from work?
In the meantime the level of competency, or lack thereof, is only going to worsen.
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby SquareWheels » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:32 am

ikm wrote:Was a lovely commute today along the coast at sunset, though this moment was a little more excitement that I was expecting.



I had exactly the same thing happen coming out of woodman point. 4WD came past as the road narrowed to a T-section. That was fine but then a boat followed with what I swear was less than 30cm clearance. That one shook me quite a bit actually. All he had to do was slow down a and let me turn left 3-5 seconds later.
SquareWheels
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:11 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:25 am

warthog1 wrote:My issue is this lady appears dangerously incompetent probably due to age related impairment.

Unfortunately where I live (retirement capital of SE NSW) there are a lot of them. I've had a number of close calls with people who should not be behind the wheel. They tend to be oblivious of their surroundings and just pull out in front of you from a side road without even blinking an eye. Sadly we lost a friend here a few years ago when one of them pulled out in front of him on his Harley and he had nowhere to go but over the roof. The driver was devastated as you can imagine but that doesn't bring our mate back.

My old man is 72 and he has a perfect driving record but I've noticed he has become very hesitant of late, especially at night. I suppose one day he's going to have to stop driving but for a bloke who has defined himself by driving just about any type of vehicle there is, that's going to be tough to give up. I think you might as well bump him on the head as take away his license.
Image
User avatar
silentC
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:32 am

warthog1 wrote:My issue is this lady appears dangerously incompetent probably due to age related impairment.

see http://goo.gl/1KDsD5.

Edit, you beat me to it silentC
User avatar
Wakatuki
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Qld

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby sorted » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:40 am

I had one this morning, who was impatient waiting for me to pull away from a stop line across a busy road and gave my back wheel a determined nudge with the bars of his ute. No damage but, as many previous posts testify, it's not pleasant to start the day by being threatened with 2 tons of metal!

As one who doesn't like confrontation (especially not with angry ute drivers), I focussed on getting across the road safely didn't stop for a chat. However, I did get his license plate number. Is it is worth following up with the WA authorities? Whilst I've been around long enough not to be intimidated by such behaviour, I'd hate for it to happen to someone more vulnerable next time.
sorted
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:06 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby herzog » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:19 pm

sorted wrote:I had one this morning, who was impatient waiting for me to pull away from a stop line across a busy road and gave my back wheel a determined nudge with the bars of his ute. No damage but, as many previous posts testify, it's not pleasant to start the day by being threatened with 2 tons of metal!

As one who doesn't like confrontation (especially not with angry ute drivers), I focussed on getting across the road safely didn't stop for a chat. However, I did get his license plate number. Is it is worth following up with the WA authorities? Whilst I've been around long enough not to be intimidated by such behaviour, I'd hate for it to happen to someone more vulnerable next time.


Reason #733 for getting a Fly6
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby sorted » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:34 pm

Indeed.

The eBay order's placed...
sorted
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:06 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:29 pm

On Tuesday night I saw a MM run a red and almost clean up a cyclist. Incidentally the cyclist was also running a red. Morons the pair of them.

The remarkable thing about the motorist was the timing of the running the red. It wasn't a going in on orange but went red type situation. This was "red arrow" pause, car. Dammit. Why don't motorists have to get a licence and pay registration to stop them running red lights! :wink:
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7329
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Percrime » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:34 pm

sorted wrote:I had one this morning, who was impatient waiting for me to pull away from a stop line across a busy road and gave my back wheel a determined nudge with the bars of his ute. No damage but, as many previous posts testify, it's not pleasant to start the day by being threatened with 2 tons of metal!

As one who doesn't like confrontation (especially not with angry ute drivers), I focussed on getting across the road safely didn't stop for a chat. However, I did get his license plate number. Is it is worth following up with the WA authorities? Whilst I've been around long enough not to be intimidated by such behaviour, I'd hate for it to happen to someone more vulnerable next time.


THats a collision. And if he did not stop that is an offence. Yup chase it up.
Percrime
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby dmwill » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:03 pm

ikm wrote:Was a lovely commute today along the coast at sunset, though this moment was a little more excitement that I was expecting.





Hate that little section where the shoulder narrows on approach to the roundabout - I always move out enough to claim the lane if I can. Shame they don't have those little diversions like the other two roundabouts a bit further back.
dmwill
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Perth, NOR

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:07 pm

trailgumby wrote:
I had the same thing happen a month or two ago. Little old lady in a Golf. She actually hit me, and ran over my foot. Second ride on my new Scalpel 29er. :evil: Her reactions were very slow, she carried me a couple of car lengths on her bonnet before stopping, despite her slow speed.

No way she was going to apologise. Supposedly it was my fault for not indicating (which besides being untrue was quite irrelevant, as you'll see), wasn't going to accept anything I said about yielding to whoever was already in the roundabout. So I told her very well, if you won't listen to me, then we'll have to involve the police and they can explain it to you. Got called all sorts of names for that including "bully". Told her to go park in an adjacent car park (with which she complied reluctantly) and we'll wait for them together.

Police arrived within 10 minutes. She ran her story, which was that I suddenly turned right and across her path from straight ahead without indicating. This was perfect, since I had actually entered from her right, and could have proved it from my GPS trace if required, but my son's testimony was enough.

So she sunk herself. She just didn't look, and I'll admit to some satisfaction when she was forced to admit that. Cop told her she was unbelievably lucky I wasn't a large truck. She had incorrectly assumed the street was one way.

She got a TIN and, on my raising the concern with the officers, her licence withdrawn pending examination of her fitness to drive. Family had to drive her home. They had been gunning for me when they arrived. They soon changed their tune when the facts emerged.

She was 89.

Foot is fine and bike was undamaged.

I was very lucky. I had assumed because of her very slow speed she was slowing to give way, and turned my attention off her to the other traffic. She wasn't slowing, she was driving at that pace because she couldn't process the environment any faster it seems.

A motorcyclist was killed by a truck in similar circumstances in the exact same intersection last year.


Post dredge sorry, only bringing it up because that was extremely well handled. You have quite possibly saved one or more lives Trailgumby 8)
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:07 pm

silentC wrote:Unfortunately where I live (retirement capital of SE NSW) there are a lot of them. I've had a number of close calls with people who should not be behind the wheel. They tend to be oblivious of their surroundings and just pull out in front of you from a side road without even blinking an eye. Sadly we lost a friend here a few years ago when one of them pulled out in front of him on his Harley and he had nowhere to go but over the roof. The driver was devastated as you can imagine but that doesn't bring our mate back.

My old man is 72 and he has a perfect driving record but I've noticed he has become very hesitant of late, especially at night. I suppose one day he's going to have to stop driving but for a bloke who has defined himself by driving just about any type of vehicle there is, that's going to be tough to give up. I think you might as well bump him on the head as take away his license.


It's an adjustment everybody will have to make at some point, no denying its tough though :(
The other option is to have people drive on until they kill or injure someone which is worse. Oh hang on that's the system we have now :x

Wakatuki wrote:see http://goo.gl/1KDsD5.

Edit, you beat me to it silentC


It's a big problem. The trouble is society still believes it is a right, not a privilege, to drive on the road.
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:22 pm

In NSW there is a compulsory annual medical for people over 75 and for over 85 you have to do an assessment every 2 years to retain your full license. I'm not sure how effective it is though. My grandmother drove well into her 80's and only handed in the license after she drove my sister home from Melbourne (600km) and had to be woken up twice.
Image
User avatar
silentC
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby westab » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:15 pm

silentC wrote:In NSW there is a compulsory annual medical for people over 75 and for over 85 you have to do an assessment every 2 years to retain your full license. I'm not sure how effective it is though. My grandmother drove well into her 80's and only handed in the license after she drove my sister home from Melbourne (600km) and had to be woken up twice.


My Dad just had to do this (he just turned 75) and he did it with his G.P. and optometrist - they are both very good - pleased to say that the GP cleared him and the optometrist didn't as he has cataracts. He now has a certain time to fix the problem or he looses his drivers licence permanently but is currently under suspension. In theory he could have kept driving for 3 months before telling the Road Authority in NSW as that is the time frame for when the reports had to be submitted - he did consider it for about a heart beat when we were talking but then he realized that he was not only a risk to Mum, himself, but the potential silly child who chases an ball / rides a bike out into the street in front of him. (I also let him know that he was not going to drive our kids till it was fixed - I felt heartless but wanted to make it clear that I want both the kids and himself around for as long as possible)

I think the effectiveness of the rules unfortunately is dependent not only on the individual but also their GP / other medical people ensuring that they are safe to drive. In this situation the GP made Dad get the optometrists report and he also knows that Mum (who is 70) also has a drivers licence so Dad's ability to get around doesn't really change.

In Dad's case he considers it a good thing as they picked up an issue early that will be easily fixed (if it had progressed it would be harder) but this may not always be the case - these more experienced people can be very persuasive you know. It might need improvement but at least there is something in place.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 pm
Location: Blacktown, NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:03 pm

westab wrote:I think the effectiveness of the rules unfortunately is dependent not only on the individual but also their GP / other medical people ensuring that they are safe to drive. In this situation the GP made Dad get the optometrists report and he also knows that Mum (who is 70) also has a drivers licence so Dad's ability to get around doesn't really change.

this is the critical weakness in the scheme - most GPs are terrified of gaining a reputation in their community as 'licence snatchers' and are reluctant to fulfill their obligations in this respect.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8707
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Boy did I encounter some bad ones today... Corolla on Ettalong Road - I'm approaching the roundabout and this fool had to go over the double-lines to force his way past. :evil: Wait your turn! The driver didn't get too close - but it was just reckless behaviour.

And then over towards Vardys Road a couple of teenagers of mini trail bikes blasting along the road - with no lights on at all! The bikes they were on were noisy enough to wake the dead.
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4051
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:02 am

find_bruce wrote:
citywomble wrote:Now that's close to home. I live at the other end of Kingsley Drive.

That's the reason why I will stick to the shared paths and avoid roads like Hepburn, Whitfords and Marmion Avenues and will only cycle on 50 km/h streets. Call me a chicken I don't mind.

You're a chicken :wink:
Image


Nice hat
OI onya bike!!!
User avatar
Gordonhooker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Location: Brisbane South Side

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:13 am

silentC wrote:In NSW there is a compulsory annual medical for people over 75 and for over 85 you have to do an assessment every 2 years to retain your full license. I'm not sure how effective it is though. My grandmother drove well into her 80's and only handed in the license after she drove my sister home from Melbourne (600km) and had to be woken up twice.



To the best of my knowledge in Vic there is no compulsory medical test and it is left to the licenced driver to report to Vicroads any medical conditions that may affect one's ability to drive safely :shock:

vicroads wrote:Your doctor’s role is to advise you on which medical conditions need to be reported to VicRoads. It is your responsibility to report the medical conditions to VicRoads.


http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/SafetyAndRules/SaferDrivers/Older+drivers/Licensingandreporting.htm

vicroads wrote:Current licensing practices for older drivers vary across Australia. Most other states and territories currently call for some type of annual road, medical and vision tests for those aged 70 to 80 years and above.

However, Victoria is the only state or territory where there is no compulsory licence test for an older driver if he or she wants to continue driving after they reach a certain age.


http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/SafetyAndRules/SaferDrivers/FamilyandFriends/Whatthelawsays.htm

As you can see from Trailgumby's experience I linked earlier, some older drivers and their families are reluctant to cease driving regardless of their impairment :x
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:05 pm

Apoloogies for the cross-post

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=76580
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3760
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Xplora » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:08 pm

g-boaf wrote:Boy did I encounter some bad ones today... Corolla on Ettalong Road - I'm approaching the roundabout and this fool had to go over the double-lines to force his way past. :evil: Wait your turn! The driver didn't get too close - but it was just reckless behaviour.

And then over towards Vardys Road a couple of teenagers of mini trail bikes blasting along the road - with no lights on at all! The bikes they were on were noisy enough to wake the dead.

VARDYS!?!

I saw those two turkeys at the Old Windsor bollards, last seen charging up the t-way. They looked to be late teens or 20s. They clearly needed a father to tell them the difference between little boys and MEN. Nothing masculine about that stupidity.
Xplora
 
Posts: 6108
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby westab » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:18 pm

g-boaf wrote:Boy did I encounter some bad ones today... Corolla on Ettalong Road - I'm approaching the roundabout and this fool had to go over the double-lines to force his way past. :evil: Wait your turn! The driver didn't get too close - but it was just reckless behaviour.

And then over towards Vardys Road a couple of teenagers of mini trail bikes blasting along the road - with no lights on at all! The bikes they were on were noisy enough to wake the dead.


Mate what time - I have seen them at about 7:30 "buzzing" near the footie / soccer fields near Sunnyholt & Vardys - the soccer club my youngest plays with have had issues with these guys.

If you see them again please let Blacktown police station know - the number for the station is 02 9671 9199. If it is the same two they are going to hurt someone or themselves.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 pm
Location: Blacktown, NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:31 pm

saw a ripper this arvo 1km from home. bloke in the right lane had stopped as there was a right turn arrow. car behind goes around and goes through the red anyway. was done at speed. rego was "NEW JOB"
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6013
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby beanspropulsion » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:02 pm

Not a moron motorist but a moron P plate passenger.

Went past a long line of stationary traffic at the lights and young guy rolls window down and shouts "Meter and a half mate...."

Shouted back "Read the road rules".

Probably wasted my breath.
User avatar
beanspropulsion
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: Northside Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:51 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:Not a moron motorist but a moron P plate passenger.

Went past a long line of stationary traffic at the lights and young guy rolls window down and shouts "Meter and a half mate...."

Shouted back "Read the road rules".

Probably wasted my breath.

Rule 10. Does a cyclist need to observe the minimum
distance when passing motorists?
Cyclists are expected to keep a safe distance when passing
other traffic.
However, the minimum passing distance applies to motorists
passing a cyclist, not cyclists passing motorists. This is
because of the greater risk faced by cyclists when motorists
pass them too closely. Cyclists do not pose the same risk to
motorists.
User avatar
Wakatuki
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Qld

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Boognoss, InTheWoods, jacksonho, jules21, MisuVir



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit