Moron Motorists #3

il padrone

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:20 pm

My wife had exactly the same type of move pulled on her on Sunday - 40 kmh school-zone limit; deliberate acceleartion to pass wrong way through a roundabout :o
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:22 pm

herzog wrote:Audiot this morning.....

....All for zero benefit.
Be a nice moment to accidentally have a set of keys hanging out of your right pocket :D
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

am50em

Postby am50em » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:28 pm

herzog wrote:Audiot this morning.
Illegally overtakes on the wrong side of a traffic chicane.
This is a quiet residential street with a 40kph limit. Incident took place at 8am, 100metres from a school, on a school day.
Imagine kids were crossing the road while he pulled this stupid stunt.
All for zero benefit.
Hmm - an Audi driver. Where I ride the vehicles I watch out for, because they always want to get in front and/or close pass, are Audis and Golf GTIs.
In general tradies are fine, BMWs and Mercedes no problem but something about Audi drivers.
Last edited by am50em on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:48 pm

+1 keep an ear out for the sound of DSG gear changes

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:39 pm

Crawf wrote:Here's a spicy one. I might even detect an Aussie accent on the driver.
I'd occasionally commute on this road and refuse to use the cycle lane.

as a follow up on this :

An Australian café owner living in London has been filmed unleashing a torrent of abuse on a cyclist.

Video shows a motorist, identified by British media as expat Jason Wells, driving his 4WD down a lane in Roehampton, south west London when he appears to try to overtake a cyclist.

Mr Wells, a father-of-two who owns a chain of cafes called Brew, then slows down to allow the cyclist to catch up.

Richmond and Twickenham Times reports that police are investigating the incident.

"A 50-year-old man voluntarily attended a south London police station where he was interviewed in connection with the incident. The man was not arrested," a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.

A spokesman for Samphire Communications – the PR company which represents Brew – has so far declined to comment on the incident.

You can read the recent google reviews for Brew cafe in the Ukhere for a few chuckles

EDIT : also found thisas an interesting tidbit

A wealthy businessman who runs a chain of upmarket coffee shops in south London today apologised for his “unacceptable” behaviour after being filmed in an extraordinary road-rage rant with a cyclist
Hundreds of cyclists took to social media calling for a boycott on Wells’ coffee chain Brew, which has branches in Clapham, Putney, Wimbledon and Wandsworth. The company has held cycle workshops promising to “fix up your bike while you enjoy a coffee.”
Last edited by Cheesewheel on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go!Run!GAH!

roller

Postby roller » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:40 pm

hunch wrote:and then went on a bit of a mini vendetta on bus forums if I recall. :lol:
er... bus forums? :?
inflammatory statement or idea

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:44 pm

this morning, no rego unfortunately

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:
"A 50-year-old man voluntarily attended a south London police station where he was interviewed in connection with the incident. The man was not arrested," a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.
Why not?! They could take their pick of half a dozen or more charges!

roller wrote:
hunch wrote:and then went on a bit of a mini vendetta on bus forums if I recall. :lol:
They are just as odd as you would imagine.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

yugyug

Moron Motorists #3

Postby yugyug » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:49 pm

sobmal wrote:
herzog wrote:Another Sydney bus driver that needs to be taken off the road before he murders:
Yes, indeed he's a menace.

But the cyclist should also think a bit more about how to ride safer.

1> Riding that road isn't the safest of several options heading south.
2> Riding in the right hand lane on that road at that time?
3> Weaving in and out of lanes.
4> Forcing the issue with the bus, the bus was coming across, what if he didn't see the cyclist? who gets injured?
5> Getting angry and cutting off cars to chase the bus down and make his point?

Actually.. both that Bus driver and that Cyclist are someone I'd rather not come across on that road.
My two cents.

1. Maybe not the safest road but almost certainly the fastest for that rider and legal.

2. Also legal and appropriate for passing slower vehicles.

3. It does seem like he's lane changing a little too much and possibly without indicating, but its hard to comment really with knowing what's behind him and whether he's head checking, indicating and/or using a mirror.

4. This is where I agree. If bus had started coming in on my right side like that I would have hit the brakes a lot harder and made sure I was clear. That was a foolhardy bit of riding.

5. Yeah, adrenaline.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:53 pm

BenGr wrote:
DavidS wrote:Had to swerve out to pass a taxi parked in the bike lane on Beach Rd this evening. As I did so I get honked, and again the moron honks me as he passes me a few metres later. Do these idiots not understand when they are the ones in the wrong?

DS
If you swerved out, or even merged into the lane you should have given way so the initial honk is quite warranted.
You seem to be misinterpreting the situation.

Taxi parked in bike lane.

Cyclist (myself) swerves into next lane (which was vacant) to avoid taxi.

Taxi which was parked in bike lane honks me (What was his problem, should I have proceeded along the bike lane and run into his car?).

Same taxi then pulls out into the lane, after I have returned to the bike lane, and honks me again.

There was no-one to give way to in the next lane.

I'll spell it out a bit more next time :roll:

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

gresford

Postby gresford » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:40 am

It probably is the Norwest rail that is the cause of some of this "action", and you could presumably complain to the rail developers, who may or may not GAF about what their haulage contractors are doing. What gets me is idiots with their actual business name on the side of the truck. Makes it relatively easy to track down the website and complain. I did that, by the way, no response as yet.

Re this comment about the North West rail link, if you think the trucks are in any way linked to this project then definitely report your concerns to the project liaison. I happen to know they have very strict criteria for safety and environment for their contractors and you should have had a response. Worth contacting them again and escalating to Safety Manager if still no response.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:18 am

In relation to the Jason Wells thing, I would love to go into his shop and listen to that video played on max volume around all the customers. :lol: If anyone complains about the language, don't like it? I'm just doing some research and listening to the opinions of the shop owner before I purchase from his establishment.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:29 am

That's interesting as we had a minor version of an almost identical scenario here on Sunday. We were riding up the main street towards a roundabout when a white van came from behind and started blowing his horn. This is 7:30am Sunday morning by the way. He continued the horn blasts all the way up the street and through the roundabout, where he eventually got past. It turns out that one of the guys knows him and he is a local cafe owner. Guess who won't be getting any of our money?
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:51 am

Name and shame

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:04 pm

Gary from the Toucan Cafe in Pambula, you really should learn to have a bit of patience. I assume you were heading over to Merimbula to set up your coffee stand at the fun run but there was no need to menace a group of cyclists who were riding safely and legally up the road in front of you. We have been meaning to check out your establishment but will be giving it a wide berth and recommending others do the same. Not smart for a small business owner to carry on like a plonker in a small town.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:15 pm

How Montalbano deals with bully drivers: :lol:

https://youtu.be/iWvcCwkTSfs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not something we can do, but some days you feel like it. :roll:

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:40 pm

DavidS wrote:
BenGr wrote:
DavidS wrote:Had to swerve out to pass a taxi parked in the bike lane on Beach Rd this evening. As I did so I get honked, and again the moron honks me as he passes me a few metres later. Do these idiots not understand when they are the ones in the wrong?

DS
If you swerved out, or even merged into the lane you should have given way so the initial honk is quite warranted.
You seem to be misinterpreting the situation.

Taxi parked in bike lane.

Cyclist (myself) swerves into next lane (which was vacant) to avoid taxi.

Taxi which was parked in bike lane honks me (What was his problem, should I have proceeded along the bike lane and run into his car?).

Same taxi then pulls out into the lane, after I have returned to the bike lane, and honks me again.

There was no-one to give way to in the next lane.

I'll spell it out a bit more next time :roll:

DS
Fair enough, very odd behaviour. I'd also not use "swerved" as that indicates you did something at the last second.

hunch

Postby hunch » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:31 pm

roller wrote:
Yep.

I bet you didn't know Shane and Derryn moonlight and do a few shifts either. :!:

Anyhow he did put up a sterling effort for several weeks if not months, as a new chum he probably missed the road hierarchy memo on arrival but was reminded of his station.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNUvEGD2Oa4

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:40 pm

silentC wrote:Gary from the Toucan Cafe in Pambula, you really should learn to have a bit of patience. I assume you were heading over to Merimbula to set up your coffee stand at the fun run but there was no need to menace a group of cyclists who were riding safely and legally up the road in front of you. We have been meaning to check out your establishment but will be giving it a wide berth and recommending others do the same. Not smart for a small business owner to carry on like a plonker in a small town.
Good to know, I'm often heading down to work at the medical centre on the roundabout. Will see what those guys think next time i'm down

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:03 pm

herzog wrote:Another Sydney bus driver that needs to be taken off the road before he murders:

wow. the same happened to me late last year. Reported it to Transperth, the camera on the bus picked it up and the investigator I spoke to was amazed that I survived it. I caught up to the bus and spoke to the driver. Usual excuses. The bus driver lost his job over it.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:12 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:...
Hundreds of cyclists took to social media calling for a boycott on Wells’ coffee chain Brew, which has branches in Clapham, Putney, Wimbledon and Wandsworth. The company has held cycle workshops promising to “fix up your bike while you enjoy a coffee.”
Ouch! That could hurt more than anything. I know there are a few cycling friendly coffee shops around Perth that would really hurt if they got boycotted. I don't blame the cyclists for boycotting him though. Why would you reward that kind of behaviour?
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:14 pm

Hilarious Canadian nice-off. Nominated for a MM award because the driver didn't look before trying to do a u turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuQdn86NLJo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still, it's better than screaming and cursing at each other.
<removed by request>

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:45 pm

driver overtook me going down a hill to turn left in front of me. there was lots of traffic in the slip lane. end result. me overtaking him again

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:55 pm

Did they yell something out at the end there?

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:11 pm

Today...