Moron Motorists #3

Lukeyboy

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Saw the bloke texting on his phone at the lights before accelerating into a red light. The passenger in the commodore gave him a wave with one finger :P

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:34 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Saw the bloke texting on his phone at the lights before accelerating into a red light. The passenger in the commodore gave him a wave with one finger :P

Reminds me of this one

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:25 pm

biker jk wrote:
bychosis wrote:
Ross wrote:SA woman, 70, drives on wrong side of South Eastern Freeway from Murray Bridge to Mount Barker

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-l ... 8464e39be3

And how about 'the driver's licence has been suspended pending a full medical and driving ability assessment'? I'm sure if the driver was drug/alcohol affected their licence would be suspended immediately.

I've seen some scary elderly drivers lately who don't seem to have full control of the vehicle, we need more thorough licensing checks, and not just for the elderly either.

This latest incident came a few days after I read an article about NSW being the only state with compulsory driver testing for those 85 and over. Of course the pensioners association wanted these test scrapped and the NRMA supports them. Outrageous.

It's time they started using a computer test when you renew your licence - every time. Test a few rules, a hazard perception test (or whatever they call something to test your reaction time) and what ever else they can think of to fit into a 30min test, or add 15min of extra time if you answer a couple wrong. It wouldn't be hard to setup some touchscreen units in the local centre and once every 5years (or ten if you are young) you make an appointment and head on down. Test results indicate wether you need a further medical inspection. Surely this is the biggest single action to reduce the road toll and increase safety.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Beer truck wedged underneath Granville overpass

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-13/b ... ge/8613660

Thirsty Sydneysiders may have to wait a little longer to blow the froth off a few, after a truck laden with cartons of beer became wedged under a motorway overpass.

Cartons of beer were unloaded from the B-double, which became stuck under an M4 overpass on Arthur Street in Granville about 10:00am.

Police are assessing damage at the site. There are no reports of injuries.

Traffic is continuing to use the M4 overpass but traffic has been stopped on Arthur Street.

Vision shows that the truck appears to have made it under two nearby overpass bridges, but hit trouble under the third.

Police say they have spoken to the driver and it is likely to be a few hours before the truck is removed.

PA

Postby PA » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Truck was just attending to the call of nature.
In the morning, we RIDE.

Thoglette

Well, today was my day.

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:59 am

Left a long black mark down the back quarter panel of a MM's car this morning after a SMIDSY at a roundabout. Partially my fault: they MM slowed down to a crawl (so I thought they'd seen me) before accelerating across the round about. Just about stopped in time but clipped the rear quarter panel.

Seemed to wake them up. I didn't bother waiting around to discuss.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Dashcam captures truck smashing into bridge

The moment a truck proves to be too big for a bridge on Mitchell Freeway in Perth.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/video/v ... 4v62o.html

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 pm

My wife mentioned seeing a terrible driver, tailgating, erratic lane changing nearly taking the front off her car etc. Same car, two separate occasions. Said car is an Audi SUV with personalised plates referencing a local real estate business. About 30 seconds search found a photo of the car under the profile of one of the agents for the business. Not good advertising really.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:50 pm

First week back into commuting last week, having not bike commuted for aaaaaages.

Mostly a pretty cruisy week of commutes, although I had one very scary pass from a truck when my cameras weren't running remind me why I should always switch them on. Other than that, just this one to report:

If he didn't park over the bike lane there would have been a couple of metres of empty tarmac between him and the stationary car in front! :roll:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Warin

Postby Warin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:26 pm

bychosis wrote:It's time they started using a computer test when you renew your licence - every time. Test a few rules,

Back when I held a motor racing licence, they would send out the yearly renewal with a written test ... you could do it open book .. and usually the test included any/all the new rules + a few others. This way at least you had to read the rules, the pass mark was north of 50% ... 90% IIRC. Racing rules are much less complex ... no two way traffic, no cross streets, no parking, etc.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:59 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:If he didn't park over the bike lane there would have been a couple of metres of empty tarmac between him and the stationary car in front! :roll:

No parking there either - yellow painted line next to the kerb for the entire length after the green painted surface ends. :x

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:27 am

redned

Postby redned » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:19 pm

trailgumby wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:If he didn't park over the bike lane there would have been a couple of metres of empty tarmac between him and the stationary car in front! :roll:

No parking there either - yellow painted line next to the kerb for the entire length after the green painted surface ends. :x

It looks like he was trying to squeeze into the left hand lane by obstructing the cycle lane. LHL wasn't going anywhere anyway!

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:31 pm

redned wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

It looks like he was trying to squeeze into the left hand lane by obstructing the cycle lane. LHL wasn't going anywhere anyway!

That's exactly what he was doing. Couldn't possibly have a gap to the car in front! When he moved across all the other traffic was stationary so it's not like he was caught out by a sudden stop...just MGTF.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

westab

Postby westab » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:24 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
redned wrote:
trailgumby wrote:No parking there either - yellow painted line next to the kerb for the entire length after the green painted surface ends. :x

That's exactly what he was doing. Couldn't possibly have a gap to the car in front! When he moved across all the other traffic was stationary so it's not like he was caught out by a sudden stop...just MGTF.

Geoff - that's one low act - you did well to not react. I had one like this a couple of years ago near my home. Complete fool stops across the shared path lane at an entrance to the parkland I ride through every day; blocking me from moving and then gives me a mouthful about rego, etc.... blah....blah... Well for once I just can't be bothered saying a word as I know he will go in 10 seconds or so. My "mate" who I see doing his morning run (most the time) he is blocked too but coming the other direction.

He is not so patient - he continues across the "crossing" (ie bonnet) leaving size 20 permanent footprints as a reminder that it was so smart. We both smiled - driver moved on. The driver might have been keen to take the cyclist on but the 6 ft 5" (both height and shoulder width) islander friend - not so much.

One of my neighbors who follows rugby league told me later that he was one of the first grade players from a particular club; he was always just a friendly smile and wave guy out for a jog to me. At the time I was glad that I didn't hear of him getting into trouble - like some have been known to do. I would have been happy to contact the club if he had.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Not sure if this belongs in Moron Motorist thread or the Moron Cyclist thread, possibly in both. :roll:
A Sydney cyclist abuses a female motorist for allegedly talking on her mobile phone then he kicks the front of her car. Helmet cam footage shows it all happening.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innov ... 8952482cd0

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:18 pm

Ross wrote:Not sure if this belongs in Moron Motorist thread or the Moron Cyclist thread, possibly in both. :roll:
A Sydney cyclist abuses a female motorist for allegedly talking on her mobile phone then he kicks the front of her car. Helmet cam footage shows it all happening.

It was a Melbourne cyclist.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:25 pm

westab wrote:My "mate" who I see doing his morning run (most the time) he is blocked too but coming the other direction.

He is not so patient - he continues across the "crossing" (ie bonnet) leaving size 20 permanent footprints as a reminder that it was so smart. We both smiled - driver moved on. The driver might have been keen to take the cyclist on but the 6 ft 5" (both height and shoulder width) islander friend - not so much.

Gold! 8)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Had a bus half change into my lane. I was able to put my hand on the bus. I have video. Will look at it tomorrow

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:03 am

biker jk wrote:
Ross wrote:Not sure if this belongs in Moron Motorist thread or the Moron Cyclist thread, possibly in both. :roll:

Yep. Fitzroy fella.

I cannot believe he's supplied the footage AND an interview to channel nine :lol:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:33 am

fat and old wrote:
biker jk wrote:

Yep. Fitzroy fella.

I cannot believe he's supplied the footage AND an interview to channel nine :lol:

Motorist was a bit of a moron, cyclist wins the moron stakes in this one. The car was ready to pull out and he passed it becuase 'I'm in the right'. it could have gone a lot worse for him.

BJL

Postby BJL » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 am

bychosis wrote:
fat and old wrote:
biker jk wrote:

Yep. Fitzroy fella.

Motorist was a bit of a moron, cyclist wins the moron stakes in this one. The car was ready to pull out and he passed it becuase 'I'm in the right'. it could have gone a lot worse for him.

What do you expect cyclists to do? Stop behind every parked vehicle that has the right indicator on? Maybe we should also stop at every driveway and side street where there is a vehicle waiting to pull out? The real morons are those on here who think that cyclists should just bend over and take whatever is dished out to them. No wonder cycling advocacy in Australia is in such a poor state.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:24 am

Ridiculous overreaction from the cyclist. Wasn't even close to being a collision. I would be annoyed too but to carry on like that is just stupid.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:48 am

BJL wrote:What do you expect cyclists to do?

Keep calm? Politely telling the driver that driving while on the phone is illegal as opposed to kicking the car and yelling at the driver would go a long way to gain us some respect on the roads.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:11 am

P!N20 wrote:
BJL wrote:What do you expect cyclists to do?

Keep calm? Politely telling the driver that driving while on the phone is illegal as opposed to kicking the car and yelling at the driver would go a long way to gain us some respect on the roads.

Yup, that. There is too much aggro on our roads, and in general. All these worked up people getting mad at the world for the slightest error in judgement. Shouting and ranting and raving does nothing to educate.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”