Moron Motorists #3

jules21

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:15 pm

Scott_C wrote:https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/brisbane-news/a-woman-is-fighting-for-her-life-after-a-brisbane-hit-and-run-20171005-p4ywa4.html

Which negligent PoS from Transport and Main Roads allowed a vehicle with such a huge obstruction to its forward facing field of view to be registered as a road vehicle?

that thing would be conditionally registered. the driver most likely legged it, knowing that he had breached the conditions of registration. you can't just drive them on the road like a car, even if they are registered. not the TMR's fault.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:26 pm

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-0 ... fmredir=sm

A healthy reminder about the pitfalls of upping the ante with road rage. It seems vehicular transport has the same concomitant factors of escalated violence as alcohol.
Go!Run!GAH!

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Got close shaved twice by the same bus as we leapfrogged each other along the Pacific Highway between Mt Colah and My Kuringai (northern Sydney). It was mid morning yesterday, with very light traffic, so there was no reason for him not to move into the empty adjacent lane. When I saw him in my mirror, approaching from behind for a third time, I pointed very clearly at the empty lane. This time he passed with plenty of room. Wasn’t that hard, was it?

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:11 pm

rdp_au wrote:This time he passed with plenty of room. Wasn’t that hard, was it?

Could have been malicious as I have clearly seen and experienced from car and bus drivers alike.

It could have simply been damn naivety and empathy towards cyclists.

There is a persistent and prevailing notion that one does not need to change lanes to pass a cyclist.** This on most roads leads to scary passes. Most driver probably are just guilty of this naivety. Pity nobody in authority seems to give a fudge. (Including unsafe passes by police cars.)

**Occasionally on wide roads one does not need to change lanes to pass a cyclist safely. But this is not the norm on most of our roads.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:38 pm

^^I agree.
I have had a bad run with buses too.
A safe pass in Vic is one where you aren't hit apparently.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:08 pm

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 am

mikesbytes wrote:I'm wondering what exactly the vice grips were doing?

Most likely stopping brake fluid flow to a leaking wheel cylinder.
Sorry, once a mechanic, always a mechanic :)

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:45 pm

Pedestrian shoots car after being hit

http://koin.com/2017/10/10/police-pedes ... being-hit/

A pedestrian was struck by a car while they tried to cross a street in downtown Portland — prompting them to shoot at the car, according to police.

Police said after shooting the car, the pedestrian got into a red 4-door sedan and traveled in the same direction as the white sedan.

Officers said they didn’t locate anyone with injuries from the crash or shooting.

No suspects were located during an area check, but evidence of gunfire was found and seized at the scene.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:04 am

Ross wrote:Pedestrian shoots car after being hit...

Now there's a compelling argument against gun control... I reckon drivers would be a lot more careful around vulnerable road users if they were armed!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:40 pm

Yesterday I had a little smile as the red and blue lights were lit behind a car parked on the side of the road with the bonnet up. Said car was one a Nissan 200 or something all decked out in drift style. Driver (I assume) fitted the part with a sad face and plenty of tattoos. Justice was served I thought, and it'll teach him a lesson.

Nope, about an hour and a half later spotted the same car drift around a right turn in the wet and end up on the wrong side of the road out of control. Iguess some people don't learn.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:16 am

warthog1 wrote:
uart wrote:
Ross wrote:Four car crash in underground car park

I know that they are saying "a medical condition", but 99% of the time accidents like that are a pedal confusion issue.

Oh whoops I put my foot on the accelerator instead of the brake.
Due to the age-related cognitive impairment and slow reaction time, instead of taking my foot off and pressing the pedal next to it, I'll freeze with my foot in place and press it to the floor :x

I reckon it is just too easy to get the pedals mixed up....I mean there is nothing written on some of them.
The other day I was trying to go up hill on the bike and getting no where....I didn't realise I was pedaling backwards....damned tricky.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:08 am

Just looking at the police site.

Vic police on patrol. 14 Oct 2017
https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/o ... r=16638310

This is just in a 4 hour effort in daylight hours. Sort of makes the futility point in arguing with these folks.

Saturday, 14 October 2017 08:06
Prahran Highway Patrol members nabbed a number of drivers on the Monash Freeway yesterday as part of Operation Synergy 2017, which targeted unauthorised driving.
Two vehicles with Automated Number Plate Recognition technology were set up on outbound lanes of the Monash Freeway near Toorak Road.
A number of police vehicles were involved in the operation, which ran from 10.30am until 2.30pm.
Across the four-hour operation, a total of 11,760 cars were scanned.
The results included:
- 63 unregistered drivers
- 48 unlicensed drivers
- 7 suspended drivers
- 2 disqualified drivers
- 3 vehicles impounded
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:16 am

bychosis wrote:Yesterday I had a little smile as the red and blue lights were lit behind a car parked on the side of the road with the bonnet up. Said car was one a Nissan 200 or something all decked out in drift style. Driver (I assume) fitted the part with a sad face and plenty of tattoos. Justice was served I thought, and it'll teach him a lesson.

Nope, about an hour and a half later spotted the same car drift around a right turn in the wet and end up on the wrong side of the road out of control. Iguess some people don't learn.
Hopefully he gets a forced vacation from driving before he gives someone or himself a forced vacation from life
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:50 am

Went for a solo 85km ride yesterday, 90% on regional roads. A few close passes, not too bad, over a metre but not 1.5m, but guess who the worst (closest pass) offender was? NSW HWP :roll:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Another genius motorcyclist.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Police seek dash-cam footage or witnesses of dangerous driving incident

https://www.policenews.act.gov.au/news/ ... g-incident

Tuesday, 17 October 2017, Publish time: 3:56pm

ACT Policing is seeking dash-cam footage or witnesses of a dangerous driving incident which occurred on Sunday 24 September 2017.

About 1.20pm, a black Land Rover Freelander 2 (ACT Registration YJW88X) was seen driving at high speed down Northbourne Avenue. The vehicle failed to stop for police, and continued southbound on Northbourne Avenue, nearly hit a cyclist and then clipped two vehicles.

The vehicle was stolen from a residence in Gungahlin on 17 September 2017.

Police are urging anyone who may have dash-cam footage or any information that could assist police to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via the Crime Stoppers ACT website.

Please quote reference 6155730. Information can be provided anonymously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... -SP4flW6VY

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:47 am

Apparently he tried to give me space, i mean i guess he didnt run me over.

Last edited by jaseyjase on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uart

Postby uart » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:57 am

jaseyjase wrote:Apparently he tried to give me space, i mean i guess he didnt run me over.

Malformed link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWp-e6L ... e=youtu.be

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:28 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Apparently he tried to give me space, i mean i guess he didnt run me over.

That was BAD :shock:

uart

Postby uart » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:38 pm

redsonic wrote:

I agree. That pass definitely needs reporting to the police. Do the have minimum passing distance in WA yet?

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:43 pm

uart wrote:
redsonic wrote:

I agree. That pass definitely needs reporting to the police. Do the have minimum passing distance in WA yet?

Pretty sure we dont, i mean i guess i can dob him in for driving in the bus lane :oops:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Wow man, that was too close :( Glad you're okay!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:34 pm

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:17 pm

jaseyjase wrote:
Pretty sure we dont, i mean i guess i can dob him in for driving in the bus lane :oops:

Clearly that was deliberate and the best tool for re-education would have been forcible removal from the vehicle and repeated blunt force applied to the head.
Given that was not possible in this instance have you taken the video to the police?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:41 pm

jaseyjase wrote:
uart wrote:
redsonic wrote:That was BAD :shock:

Good luck with that, WA police are on record that they won't spend resources on enforcing bus lanes unless there is a proven safety issue. Given their standard position of if you don't end up in the hospital it wasn't unsafe you probably won't get traction on unsafe use of the bus lane either.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”