Moron Motorists #3

Thoglette

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:37 pm

Ah, got my bimonthly moron who changed lanes to give me a close pass. Other lane was empty, of course.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

redned

Postby redned » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:15 pm

pj wrote:Wrong lane, no indicator, no mirrors, no worries

But it is a Citroen CV2. Points for style!

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:48 pm

2CV if you don't mind.

And it does have a mirror, mounted on the dash. It's and oldy so it doesn't have an external mirror on the passenger side.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Had a MGIF MM rush to push in front in a form one lane merge (I was driving not riding :oops: ) and then proceeded to left hook me and turn into...the cemetery. :roll:

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:09 pm

pj wrote:Thanks muza

Looks like an aweful bit of road to "share"...

pj

Postby pj » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:51 pm

TheWall wrote:

Yes it's only bike friendly when travelling in the opposite direction :mrgreen:

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 pm

pj wrote:
TheWall wrote:

solution - take more of your share.

Can I politely suggest you ride a good metre more out from the wall to
a) make it clear a car cannot pass you if there's an oncoming vehicle.
b) provide yourself somewhere to escape

pj

Postby pj » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 pm

duncanm wrote:
pj wrote:
TheWall wrote:

solution - take more of your share.

Can I politely suggest you ride a good metre more out from the wall to
a) make it clear a car cannot pass you if there's an oncoming vehicle.
b) provide yourself somewhere to escape

Noted thanks, not a very safe route so will likely be finding an alternative!

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 am

Bear with me while I get my soap box lined up. The link below will take you to a picture of the short term car park at Warwick Farm railway station on a typical weekday morning. Sorry I can't get the picture to appear directly, any advice on this would be appreciated.

Half of the spaces are for the convenience of people with urgent business at the station and the other half are for the disabled. There is a giant multistory car park 100 metres away for the use of commuters, and this is never more than half full. I could have taken the same shot on a different weekday and the same cars would have been in it. Some of the cars parked in the disabled spots are showing permits and some are not.

I believe there are two kinds of MMs using the disabled spaces: the able-bodied ones who have managed to rort the system and obtain a disabled sticker that they should not possess, and the arrogant, entitled ones who cannot even be bothered to pretend.

Where are the police, you ask? This place has a lot of bike traffic, as it is on the Liverpool - Parramatta rail trail, and I pass through two or three times per week. I have only once seen a police presence. A year or so ago, Liverpool's finest (pause for chuckles) had an operation set up to apprehend some of those evil cyclists who ride around without helmets. I don't think they did any good, though as most cyclists using the rail trail wear helmets, and the few that don't were tipped off in time to take evasive action.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... ZZMGY4MVZ3

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:51 am

Philistine wrote: Sorry I can't get the picture to appear directly, any advice on this would be appreciated.
If you can see you picture following then the method is to get the large version showing and then right click on it selecting copy image location
If its not showing then I'm looking at what's in my buffer

In NSW parking in a disabled spot without a permit incurrs a big fine, more than $300 and a dermit point. So if you have a clean license you will need to pay more for your green slip for 3 years bumping the total cost to around $1000. Could affect your insurance too
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:19 am

Philistine wrote:I believe there are two kinds of MMs using the disabled spaces: the able-bodied ones who have managed to rort the system and obtain a disabled sticker that they should not possess, and the arrogant, entitled ones who cannot even be bothered to pretend.

do you have any evidence of this, or are you just making assumptions?

Parking is (I think) mainly a Council responsibility. Give them a ring and ask they send a parking officer around to check permits and times a bit more often.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:40 am

Philistine wrote:I believe there are two kinds of MMs using the disabled spaces: the able-bodied ones who have managed to rort the system and obtain a disabled sticker that they should not possess,

I would be really careful making assumptions like that. I know a number of people with disabled permits who appear able bodied but are more that entitled to the passes.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:14 pm

skull wrote:I would be really careful making assumptions like that. I know a number of people with disabled permits who appear able bodied but are more that entitled to the passes.

I was not suggesting that everybody who has a disabled sticker is gaming the system, but you must be aware that rorting is widespread. I know of three car owners in my street and an adjacent street using disabled passes that belong to elderly relatives who never travel in their cars. One of them even has the hide to boast about it, as though he was doing something really clever. Another acquaintance, who has now moved interstate, had a disabled pass on account of his "bad back", while the only thing wrong with his back was his chronic inability to get up off it to go to work.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Philistine wrote:One of them even has the hide to boast about it, as though he was doing something really clever

There's no shame in dropping an anonymous tip to the RMS.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:57 pm

skull wrote:
Philistine wrote:I believe there are two kinds of MMs using the disabled spaces: the able-bodied ones who have managed to rort the system and obtain a disabled sticker that they should not possess,

I would be really careful making assumptions like that. I know a number of people with disabled permits who appear able bodied but are more that entitled to the passes.

The GLW and I have one each and we're fit enough.
What we are is carers to my mother in law who has multiple mobility issues
What we aren't is dingleberries.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:05 am

Mulger bill wrote:The GLW and I have one each and we're fit enough.
What we are is carers to my mother in law who has multiple mobility issues
What we aren't is dingleberries.

Are some of the posters on this site a bit short on reading and comprehension skills? I cannot see how my post can possibly be interpreted as an attack on disabled people, quite the opposite in fact. I am angry that rorters are abusing a good scheme aimed at easing the burden on genuinely disabled people and their carers.

I have never been at the Warwick Farm railway station early enough to see the car park filling up, which I imagine would take place about seven or eight o'clock, but I have been there occasionally when it has been emptying out about 5 o'clock (give or take). It is a convenient spot for me to pause to wipe away the sweat and take a drink, and I have witnessed clearly able-bodied people jogging from the station, festooned with briefcases, handbags, and the like, jumping into cars that have almost certainly been occupying a disabled spot all day.

The legislation states "Disability Parking Permits can only be used when the owner of the permit is using the vehicle". This is badly drafted (quelle surprise) and, if the owner of the permit is a carer, it gives a green light to use the permit for his or her own purposes. This does not make it right to do so.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 pm

Philistine wrote:Are some of the posters on this site a bit short on reading and comprehension skills? I cannot see how my post can possibly be interpreted as an attack on disabled people, quite the opposite in fact. I am angry that rorters are abusing a good scheme aimed at easing the burden on genuinely disabled people and their carers.

That's the part we're having an issue with.

You're making assumptions about those parked in the spots - that they're all rorters - with no evidence.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:09 am

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:24 am

Just when you thought one's level of apathy towards the police service couldn't get any lower ....
Go!Run!GAH!

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:53 am

As good a reason why you might buy a camera as you will ever see.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:26 am

uart

Postby uart » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Just when you thought one's level of apathy towards the police service couldn't get any lower ....
They charge the victim of a road rage incident? Frickin unbelievable!

Thoglette

Fortunately, this one's had his bail revoked

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:49 pm

NSW police arrest man who allegedly drunk drove to Sydney police station

On bail for drink driving offences and with his licence suspended, Mr Hatzistamatis parked in a police-only parking bay at the cop shop; and then blew 0.226, Sutherland plod allege.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:58 pm

find_bruce wrote:

How is he doing Mike ?

I asked him today, this is his response
the body is ok it’s the head injury that is still an issue which will take time so for now I’m on the wahoo till I feel we ready to get back on the Road again

Cyclophiliac

Re: Fortunately, this one's had his bail revoked

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Thoglette wrote:NSW police arrest man who allegedly drunk drove to Sydney police station

On bail for drink driving offences and with his licence suspended, Mr Hatzistamatis parked in a police-only parking bay at the cop shop; and then blew 0.226, Sutherland plod allege.

I do hope the police impounded the car until at least after the court case, AND that the judge refused him bail. This guy's clearly demonstrated he's willing to drive even when he's not legally allowed to.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”