2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Mate, comparing rides I do with others doing exactly the same ride... sometimes the garmin gives you more, sometimes the phone gives you more.
Personally the way I look at it is this, I did 100,000 meters on my phone last year, so this year I want to double it... whether that in reality is 180,000m or 220,000 meters is neither here or there for me. I just know that it will be a hell of lot more work than last year :lol: .
My ultimate aim with all this climbing this year is to survive better in hilly to mountainous races... of which I will hopefully see results on climbing KOM's compared to my times last year.
That and that there are so many HC climbs reasonably close to home that I want to do while I still can :lol: .
But we are all doing this for different reasons... of which I am interested to hear.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14351
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

by BNA » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:21 pm

BNA
 

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby boss » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Mate, comparing rides I do with others doing exactly the same ride... sometimes the garmin gives you more, sometimes the phone gives you more.
Personally the way I look at it is this, I did 100,000 meters on my phone last year, so this year I want to double it... whether that in reality is 180,000m or 220,000 meters is neither here or there for me. I just know that it will be a hell of lot more work than last year :lol: .
My ultimate aim with all this climbing this year is to survive better in hilly to mountainous races... of which I will hopefully see results on climbing KOM's compared to my times last year.
That and that there are so many HC climbs reasonably close to home that I want to do while I still can :lol: .
But we are all doing this for different reasons... of which I am interested to hear.


I'm with you... I'm happy as long as my garmin is consistent in its inaccuracies... Which after repeated rides and loops, i can sayit is consistent.

My work rate this year will be much higher than last. But that's easy. I'm only five months deep on big bikes :twisted:
boss
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 pm

You doing good for a Newb then :shock: :D .
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14351
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby boss » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Haha, thanks, I think.
boss
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Dimma » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:42 am

60km & 2140m, repeats are hard
Image
Dimma
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby BrisVegas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:24 am

Dimma wrote:60km & 2140m, repeats are hard


there's repeats and then there's THIRTEEN repeats! :shock:
Litespeed Tuscany Ti & Trek 8000 rigid MTB
BrisVegas
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Bardon, QLD

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:01 pm

BrisVegas wrote:
Dimma wrote:60km & 2140m, repeats are hard


there's repeats and then there's THIRTEEN repeats! :shock:


Dedicated isn't he! :-)
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14351
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:32 pm

BrisVegas wrote:
Dimma wrote:60km & 2140m, repeats are hard


there's repeats and then there's THIRTEEN repeats! :shock:

Done pushie a 53x19. Nutter.
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby boss » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 am

Had a couple of days off - catching a bus to work, not even commuting. Some knee issues were bad enough to convince me to rest a few days. The rest did me good, though, knee feels quality! No pain whatsoever.

I think the rest did my body good, too, I felt really strong this morning.

45km and 700m this morning. 26kmp/h average, took a bit of time off a handful of segments including my go-to ride... Old Freeway, 9km or so.

Good day. Probably won't get a ride in over the weekend, but next week I'm going to be back into it, and there are a few new roads I wanna check out. One in particular, 3km and 300m with sections that apparently spike at 30%. Can't stop thinking bout it!
boss
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Gassy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Anyone feeling like 8000 meters in a day? :shock: :shock:

http://www.sportcommunication.info/leto ... p?langue=2
Image
User avatar
Gassy
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Olinda, Mt D.

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Nope, not a chance :lol: ... I will have my feet up somewhere along the Champs Elysees on that day anyway :P .
I was just looking at this segment thinking it would be very popular... but alas only ridden ten times by stravaites... http://app.strava.com/segments/686663
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14351
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Dimma » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:30 pm

Wow that's insane, I can't even manage rides with 4000m of climbing.

Ian is there some significance to that segment? I've got a couple of local ones that are very similar, not popular just bragging rights between mates.
Image
Dimma
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:35 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street,_Dunedin ... steepest residential street in the world
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14351
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby kb » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Finally turned the bar green. Until midnight anyway...
Image
User avatar
kb
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby boss » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:32 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Nope, not a chance :lol: ... I will have my feet up somewhere along the Champs Elysees on that day anyway :P .
I was just looking at this segment thinking it would be very popular... but alas only ridden ten times by stravaites... http://app.strava.com/segments/686663


That street looks amazing. Is 35% really that hard that only 10 people have done it?

The photos on its Wikipedia page are pretty cool! Puts the grade in perspective, most of the really tough hills that I do (20-25%) don't have anything but bush land next to the road so you can't comprehend how steep it is, apart from how much it hurts and what garmin is saying.
boss
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:42 pm

boss wrote:That street looks amazing. Is 35% really that hard that only 10 people have done it?

I think it would be bloody hard, but there would have been thousands to ride it over the years... just not many on strava it seems!.

Meh... hoping to go for a ride today!... been stuck inside with pretty constant snow for 3 days. Sun is out now, hopefully it melts the roads clean by this afternoon, although with a max if we are lucky of zero i might be out of luck. Have to keep reminding myself that spring is coming :| .
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14351
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Bentnose » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:35 am

This is about the steepest I've done recently on the cyclocross bike http://app.strava.com/segments/738664, hills like this are making me consider changing my 12-28 for an 11-36, this is a gravel road though.
Image
User avatar
Bentnose
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Watsonia North, Victoria

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Dimma » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:34 am

Ok here's my contribution. Like all very steep pinches the hardest thing is keeping the front wheel on the ground.

http://app.strava.com/segments/2188688
Image
Dimma
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby wqlava1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:00 am

Bentnose wrote:This is about the steepest I've done recently on the cyclocross bike http://app.strava.com/segments/738664, hills like this are making me consider changing my 12-28 for an 11-36, this is a gravel road though.

Just a few hundred metres SE is Shorts Rd, which although the made section is shorter, it seems a bit steeper. I live close but haven't ridden either on Strava- I'll go over and compare them myself in the next day or 2. The current ruts in the unmade part of Shorts Rd just below the made section would make it unrideable for me with the slick-ish Marathon Supremes on my touring bike let alone my road bike's tyres.
Last edited by wqlava1 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 goal 52000m
Image
wqlava1
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:13 am
Location: Nillumbik, Vic

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby warthog1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Image - toolonglegs
Image - norbs
Image - Marshious
Image - hannos
Image - DaveOZ
Image - Mugglechops
Image - grt046
Image - Dimma
Image - Chuck
Image - kb
Image - chucknitro
Image - Daccordi Rider
Image - sblack
Image - boss
Image - cavebear2
Image - warthog1
Image - singlespeedscott
Image - oldnewby
Image - RoFlmaTiC
Image - VBplease
Image - Wardie
Image - clydesmcdale
Image - Lukeyboy
Image - Jason C
Image - Red Rider
Image - gretaboy
Image - jzr
Image - stinhambo
Image - InTheWoods
Image - Ginjin
Image - Bentnose
Image - wqlava1
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2793
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Bentnose » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:20 am

wqlava1 wrote:
Bentnose wrote:This is about the steepest I've done recently on the cyclocross bike http://app.strava.com/segments/738664, hills like this are making me consider changing my 12-28 for an 11-36, this is a gravel road though.

Just a few hundred metres SE is Shorts Rd, which although the made section is shorter, it seems a bit steeper. I live close but haven't ridden either on Strava- I'll go over and compare them myself in the next day or 2. The current ruts in the unmade part of Shorts Rd just below the made section would make it unrideable for me with the slick-ish Marathon Supremes on my touring bike let alone my road bike's tyres.


I realised I made a mistake calling this a gravel road, it is a steep gravel entry on a curve so you can't just let the anchors go until you can straightline the bridge and get a little run up, when it becomes tarmac, I was almost licking the front tyre getting up this one. The Strava segment includes some of the descent and the bridge, the actual climb section has an average gradient of 18.9%. I'll check out shorts road one day, gunna try for some KOM's on the road back this week then easing off for a race next week, so may get to it in a couple of weeks.
Image
User avatar
Bentnose
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Watsonia North, Victoria

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby durianrider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Ive done 87000meters so far since Jan 1st 2013.

Not made any effort to do it though. Just added up when I won that Strava Base Mile Blast.
Vegan since 2001.

Image
durianrider
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:43 am

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Dimma » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Amazing stuff mate, 3o bananas did nothing for me
Image
Dimma
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Thats another league all together durianrider :lol: .

Me... I was thinking of doing some climbing yesterday but my knee was hurting, not very common for me, especially the left one, so I turned around and went home after 3 or 4 k's :| . A couple of days off won't be too hard with the amount of slop on the roads at the moment... wet snow is bad enough, but the huge amounts of salt on the road too isn't that great for the velo :lol: .
I earn a good chunk of my small income riding bikes... so better to rest up than be sorry :lol: .
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14351
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:46 pm

There's this little doozie in West End.

http://app.strava.com/segments/2347948
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2193
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Feedfetcher



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit