Donky bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

mddawson
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:05 pm

Donky bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby mddawson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 pm

Just spotted the odd looking Donky Bike:

Image

It looks like it could be quite handy for inner city dwellers although it is a bit pricey: http://donkybike.com/
Last edited by mddawson on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 8239
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:47 pm

How fugly is that? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
il padrone
Posts: 22738
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:55 pm

A NEW UTILITY VEHICLE


Good looks doesn't really enter into the equation :idea:

Mind you, I reckon the classic butchers/bakers bike would do the job even better

Image
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

User avatar
MarkG
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby MarkG » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 am

It looks like the bastard child of one of those fold up bikes and a step ladder!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 am

Dafaq am I looking at?

User avatar
il padrone
Posts: 22738
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 am

Stand-on-end versatility would be handy for some

Image


...as would the flat-pack luggage racks.

Image

Get it through your skull guys - it's not a carbon race bike or some poseur fixie :|
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:14 am

il padrone wrote:Get it through your skull guys - it's not a carbon race bike or some poseur fixie :|


Yeah. It's just the Great Wall Ute of bicycles :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 5422
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:29 am

I'm not an engineer but that point where the 2 triangles meet between the handlebars and seat looks like a weak point. I would have thought it could have been designed a bit stronger in a bike designed to lug a lot of weight.
I'd take one of those Dutch bikes with the large carrier at the front over that yellow peril of the bike world :P

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 5422
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:40 am

il padrone wrote:
Get it through your skull guys - it's not a carbon race bike or some poseur fixie :|


Get it through yours, we know that and it's still ugly as a hat full of r soles. :)

User avatar
WyvernRH
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: Newcastle NSW

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 am

warthog1 wrote:I'm not an engineer but that point where the 2 triangles meet between the handlebars and seat looks like a weak point. I would have thought it could have been designed a bit stronger in a bike designed to lug a lot of weight.

Well I am a Mech Eng and you are right, the design is not ideal. I would have omitted the b'bracket to main beam tube and substituted a b'bracket to bottom of head tube run. Maybe bring the top diagonal back to the seat tube/main beam junction or beef up the head tube and omit it entirely?
One can only assume that they have made the main beam sufficiently chunky in material to take all the twisting and bending stresses (ie heavy)
I have to agree with Il Padrone and Warthog, the British and the Dutch solved this problem (sans folding :wink: ) 100 years ago.
Cheers
Richard

User avatar
Chuck
Posts: 4334
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: Hiding in the bunch

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby Chuck » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:43 am

il padrone wrote:Get it through your skull guys - it's not a carbon race bike or some poseur fixie :|


Those who have bagged it MUST be lycra warriors or hipster's. They wouldn't have called it ugly because that is actually their opinion, how silly would that be.
FPR Ragamuffin

User avatar
silentbutdeadly
Posts: 2231
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:52 am
Location: Somewhere flat...

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 am

I like it. It's made of triangles.

Image
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

User avatar
outnabike
Posts: 1821
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby outnabike » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:28 am

Not the most attractive design but probably functional. I reckon the old butchers bike would be my choice as well.
If it comes to centre of gravity though, the donkey has the advantage of the rear load area for stability. I see the front rack as being too far forward of the handle bars which lessens the steering geometry by placing weight too far forward. Cabling looks pretty ordinary as a display as well.
The steering being independent of the load may be a good idea as well. The butchers bike would probably be more weight sensitive steering wise.
Would be interesting to get a ride on the two units with equal loads on them.
The butchers bike has the basket nicely sloping back to the bars for stability. But the two are designed to take different cargoes no doubt. Jut my thoughts.
On the bright side, what a great little ped bouncer!!! :D

Image
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

User avatar
il padrone
Posts: 22738
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:37 am

outnabike wrote:The steering being independent of the load may be a good idea as well. The butchers bike would probably be more weight sensitive steering wise.

The butchers bike also has the load independent of the steering. Small front wheel and raked fork gives sedate steering while the seating further back with trailing handlebars allows for the rider's weight to balance the load weight.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 5422
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:17 pm

WyvernRH wrote:Well I am a Mech Eng and you are right, the design is not ideal. I would have omitted the b'bracket to main beam tube and substituted a b'bracket to bottom of head tube run. Maybe bring the top diagonal back to the seat tube/main beam junction or beef up the head tube and omit it entirely?
One can only assume that they have made the main beam sufficiently chunky in material to take all the twisting and bending stresses (ie heavy)
I have to agree with Il Padrone and Warthog, the British and the Dutch solved this problem (sans folding :wink: ) 100 years ago.
Cheers
Richard


Thanks, I can't work out why they made it so butt ugly if there is no valid engineering reason behind it.

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28307
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:27 pm

warthog1 wrote:Thanks, I can't work out why they made it so butt ugly if there is no valid engineering reason behind it.


As an anti theft measure :twisted:
'Druther a Bakfiets or Bullitt any day of the week...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

User avatar
il padrone
Posts: 22738
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Bullitt.... YEAH!

Image



But you won't get much of one for 499 pounds sterling :( .
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28307
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Yeah :( I'd have to go a total reorganise of the shed to fit one in too.

Bright side, it aint gonna fold at a weak point any too soon.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

zero
Posts: 3006
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby zero » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:57 pm

warthog1 wrote:
WyvernRH wrote:Well I am a Mech Eng and you are right, the design is not ideal. I would have omitted the b'bracket to main beam tube and substituted a b'bracket to bottom of head tube run. Maybe bring the top diagonal back to the seat tube/main beam junction or beef up the head tube and omit it entirely?
One can only assume that they have made the main beam sufficiently chunky in material to take all the twisting and bending stresses (ie heavy)
I have to agree with Il Padrone and Warthog, the British and the Dutch solved this problem (sans folding :wink: ) 100 years ago.
Cheers
Richard


Thanks, I can't work out why they made it so butt ugly if there is no valid engineering reason behind it.


Its actually a fairly neat package, if you have a load that can be broken in two. ie it trades off largest possible volume of single object compared to a bake fiets for significantly reduced storage requirements of the bike itself (bakefiets is often a car replacement such is its volume consumption in the garage).

I actually don't mind the tube treatments on it - I dislike the disjointed bars some designers use around a central boom like that, I would personally be much reassured by the level of reinforcement to the steering tube should I have cause to yank on the brakes, which has come without needing a top tube (don't want top tubes on utility bikes).

I'd struggle to ride a yellow bike with an upside down tonka logo on it though.

User avatar
HappyHumber
Posts: 4932
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:48 pm
Location: Perth, (S.o.R.) W.A.

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 pm

I think it's interesting. Whilst still not k-mart or mass consumer type cheap just yet, it's still an improvement and a slightly different sub-niche of the broader "Cargo Bike" category. I think it's bit unfair comparing it to the Bullit/Bakfiets etc. Apples versus Watermelons really.

Mind you... being 6'2" most 20" wheel bikes have always deterred me personally.

Oh, and as to the original topic question; I think it's more a Suzuki Mighty Boy vs. a real Ute ;)

Image vs Image
- Kym
Since I keep misplacing my common sense down the shed, I guess I'll have to borrow someone elses off the internet.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 8239
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Thanks, I can't work out why they made it so butt ugly if there is no valid engineering reason behind it.


As an anti theft measure :twisted:
'Druther a Bakfiets or Bullitt any day of the week...

'Druther one of these...
Image
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mddawson
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:05 pm

Re: Donky bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby mddawson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Spotted a similar Dutch bike - the Dutch ID Lorri:

Image

They also make the Double Dutch:

Image

and the Filibus that appears to be a modern take of the butcher/baker bike:

Image

http://www.dutch-id.nl/

User avatar
WyvernRH
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: Newcastle NSW

Re: Donky bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 pm

mddawson wrote:Spotted a similar Dutch bike - the Dutch ID Lorri:

Image


See! they didn't let the graphic artists have a say in the frame design on that one!
Cheers
Richard

liquor box
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby liquor box » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 pm

il padrone wrote:Bullitt.... YEAH!

Image



But you won't get much of one for 499 pounds sterling :( .

do you have to lean into every corner? how do you change direction of the front wheel?

User avatar
HappyHumber
Posts: 4932
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:48 pm
Location: Perth, (S.o.R.) W.A.

Re: Donkey bike - the cycling equivalent of the ute?

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 pm

liquor box wrote:do you have to lean into every corner? how do you change direction of the front wheel?

there's a linkage underneath the frame adjoining the handlebars to to the iddy-biddy fork at front. Not at all obvious from this pic.
This pic from the latter stages of a DIY/Build your own project may explain it better visually for you. Complete article here.
- Kym
Since I keep misplacing my common sense down the shed, I guess I'll have to borrow someone elses off the internet.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BugsBunny, grimbo, newierider