CNC engraving on C-Delta brakes

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

CNC engraving on C-Delta brakes

Postby harcs » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Having had success with my question about polished aluminium I will ventre into my next problem with restoration of my Chesini X-Uno. I was fortunate to get a NOS C-Delta brake engraved with Chesini. Unfortunately there was only one. I have bought another standard C-Delta and would like to engrave the Chesini name and logo onto the aluminium cover plate. I have tried a number of engravers and they all say no, so now I am chasing a CNC engraver. Has anyone used successfully a CNC engraver in the Brisbane Gold Coast area. If I am not successful I have even thought about doing it myself. I have a small engraver so will try on scrap first. The original which has obviously been routed is a little rough. Alternatively someone may have a Chesini C-Delta brake cover collecting dust and would like to see it on a finished bike.
harcs

by BNA » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:33 pm

BNA

Re: CNC engraving on C-Delta brakes

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Cyclomondo has had some bits done I believe, beyond his extensive range of decals. I'd contact him.
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby dubrat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:20 am

Saw on Ken Evans Instagram that he just had a stem pantographed maybe check there. You have the original which makes the pantographing process much easier...
dubrat

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:21 am

I think Greg Softley has his work done on his pantograph
Clydesdale Scot

Postby DavidI » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:43 am

A bit out of left field, but try Brisbane Watch Repair Centre at Woolloongabba, they supply equipment to engravers and also do engraving on site.
DavidI

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:17 pm

There's a group at geebung - name escapes me right now but I'll get back to you.
Dan

Postby harcs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks guys. I am getting dead ends at the moment. Greg Softley cannot do curved surfaces and the C-Delta is curved.
harcs

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:22 pm

Perfect Perforations
you could think about this company (in USA). It was my Plan B when I was getting the engraving done on the Shockstop master.
The replies were prompt and the pricing was sensible, and they seem to know their way around bike parts.
Philip
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clydesdale Scot

Postby harcs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks, I have sent photos to "Perfect Perforations"
harcs

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:58 am

George Hamilton at H.A.B. Engineering in Airport West (Melb) can do copy pantographing. He is a Campagnolo enthusiast, and sympathetic to the restoration cause.
His phone number is 03 9338 7655
Warren
bicyclepassion

Postby harcs » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks Warren, I should have spoken to you earlier. Expert on Malvern Stars and it would appear everything else in biking.
harcs

Postby dayne » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:19 pm

What ever you do don't bloody try to engrave it your self or even let some one else do it by hand.
If it cant be pantoed dont do it, Just put the panto on the front brake and leave the rear plain.
dayne

Postby Mustang » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:00 pm

dayne wrote:What ever you do don't bloody try to engrave it your self or even let some one else do it by hand.
If it cant be pantoed dont do it, Just put the panto on the front brake and leave the rear plain.

Ditto,
I'am a retired hand engraver, I would not touch aluminium with my experience. As far as an engraving metal (by hand) it is CRAP & should only be attempted by a revolving cutter in a mechanical engraver, eg pantograph machine.
We used to cut logos , like a Rotary wheel which was quite complicated, but you started large, tracing a paper logo by hand & kept reducing untill the pattern had straight lines, once you had the plastic pattern it could be reproduced over & over.
( I should start up again??)
Mustang

Postby Magnum9 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm a machinist and I do CNC engraving. But a one off job on a 3D curved surface would involve laser scanning the surface then generating toolpaths in CAM. Then you would have to jig the part in the correct orientation. If you could find someone capable and interested it would likely be in the range of $300-500.
Magnum9

Postby harcs » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks again guys for your comments and help. I was only joking when I said I'll engrave myself. It has been hard enough painting the bike frame myself with all the fancy line shadowing so I don't want to start a new skill. Warren's friend George Hamilton says he can do it on his panograph so I have sent them to him. I did get a reply from Perfect Perforations in the States and they can do it as well if I supply a tiff file which I can do. Anyway I will see how I go with George. He has old bikes himself so is a sympathetic machinist.
harcs

Postby Mustang » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:21 pm

harcs wrote:Thanks again guys for your comments and help. I was only joking when I said I'll engrave myself. It has been hard enough painting the bike frame myself with all the fancy line shadowing so I don't want to start a new skill. Warren's friend George Hamilton says he can do it on his panograph so I have sent them to him. I did get a reply from Perfect Perforations in the States and they can do it as well if I supply a tiff file which I can do. Anyway I will see how I go with George. He has old bikes himself so is a sympathetic machinist.

Keep us in the loop
Mustang

Postby harcs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am

I sent the two plates to George and spoke to him yesterday. He has no problems in copying the logo and Chesini to the blank plate on the left. He did say that the paintwork in the logo and letters may get scratched. This is not a problem for me as I will repaint them. He thought the original Chesini plate was beautiful so I hope I can reproduce the paint detail on the blank plate. Will let you know when I receive them.
harcs

Postby harcs » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Stage 2 completed by George Hamilton in Melbourne. Thanks again to Warren Meade for introducing George to me.
Now to replicate the paint job. Base coat, masking, shadow top coat, remove masking, dusting top coat, three clear coats and then painting the lettering by hand. Hope to have it ready for the Gold Coast Retro Ride on the 13th April if the bl....y rain stops by then.
harcs

Postby HLC » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:13 pm

harcs wrote:Image

Stage 2 completed by George Hamilton in Melbourne. Thanks again to Warren Meade for introducing George to me.
Now to replicate the paint job. Base coat, masking, shadow top coat, remove masking, dusting top coat, three clear coats and then painting the lettering by hand. Hope to have it ready for the Gold Coast Retro Ride on the 13th April if the bl....y rain stops by then.

This is so awesome.

I think the most difficult part will be keeping the coats so light that the Campy logo still cuts through.
HLC

Postby harcs » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:20 pm

Well I have finished it for the first time. Found that dusting coats are very difficult but because it took so long and I wanted to ride the bike so I accepted what I had done and will redo when I have found some more patience. Have a look at the "Shows us what you got" post for all photos.
[imgImage[/img]
harcs

Return to Retro biking